PF.com Keeper League 08-09

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by webz, Sep 29, 2008.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm cool with either, but I prefer weekly.

I noticed Mr. Tater was too scared to come in here and compete. He obviously knows that I've been sandbagging in the Novice league, and he's scared to give up his little banner trophy.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good points, thanks guys. There are 2 separate issues here. There is 'tanking' with the intention of playing next season in order to get a good draft pick, and there is 'quitting' with no intention of playing next season.

I believe the tanking theory is effectively thrown out the window now using the draft auction. I haven't spent too much time thinking about the format for following seasons drafts/keepers, but I'm sure we will implement something to help compensate teams that finished lower on the standings, but nothing that will make 'tanking' an advantageous strategy. One idea - perhaps teams that did not make the playoffs get an extra $20 in the auction for next season... Something along those lines.

As for quitting, I'll have a think about some policies we could put in place. But hopefully we won't have any problems.

I also like to think of this as an advanced league as well. You should be in it to win it. If you want to join just to draft your favourite scrubs in the first round, make uninformed lineup changes/decisions, etc, this league is not for you. Either enter the Novice league or play somewhere else. This is not meant to be disrespectful, I just believe the nature of this particular league is for competitive players. :)

I may include some policies covering this as well.

People shouldn't get too caught up in the 'Keeper' factor. Guys should always play for the season they are in. You only get to keep 3 or 4 guys anyway (Yet to be decided).

That is one of the main arguments for Daily.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the auction is a great way to start up the league, but a snake draft may be the best way to go in following year. Having the bottom teams draft earlier seems like it would make the most sense to create a more competitive league in the next season.

4. webz

It's not just a matter of 'people forgetting to set lineups'. Whether it is Daily or Weekly changes the strategy completely. With weekly you are no longer just filling positions with anyone available, you have to decide on a 'team' you are playing with that week. Here are some examples.

1) You may have Tim Duncan and Kwame Brown as your 2 centres on your roster. Initially it's a no-brainer to play Duncan over Kwame, however this week Duncan only has 2 games, whereas Kwame is playing 4. It no longer just comes down to playing your best player in this situation.

2) You are playing against someone who is playing Allen Iverson and Chris Paul this week. Your PG's are Tony Parker and Randy Foye. The team with Paul/Iverson is more likely to win the Steals and Assists in this matchup, therefore in this situation it might make more sense to forget about those categories by benching Parker and Foye, and playing a lot of guys who are stronger in the other categories.

This is factually correct.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Congratulations for winning scrubs last season! :)

6. webz

Haha. I didn't!!!

And that league involved more skill than people realise. You can take over that league if you want detteam?

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I concur with the above.

I truly do appreciate you guys trying your best to get me in, but really, I only join Yahoo leagues (which didn't appear to be a keeper league option at the time) and only one league per sport per year for me (And I've already committed to Advanced).

With Slippy,Roscoe, and Linwood in there it's going to be "smack city" irregardless. I'm just wondering how it's going to work out since only one of them can come in last place...

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yeah...I know. I just found your comment a bit condescending.

9. webz

Sorry, it wasn't intentional. The general feeling is people want this to be a competitive and comitted league, so I'm just trying to avoid any potential problems in case people didn't know what kind of league they were entering into.

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I did and I'm still waiting for it to be named below my user name :MusicBigGrin:

11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i'm officially exempt from this rule. some of my fantasy studs are what others might consider scrubs.

what about injured players?? what if you're losing this year and you stock up on injured superstars at the end??

how do you designate who you are going to keep for the next year?? that way people won't hold onto an injured gilbert arenas all year for fear of someone picking them up and keeping them for next year.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

you can HAVE injured players but if they are in the starting line up week after week...that's just lame.

13. webz

I can't answer every 'what if' scenario. If you use your common sense and your actions are in the spirit of the league you should be fine.

Who you choose as your keepers for next season is up to you. You won't have to make the decision until after the current season finishes.

I am thinking about having an IR position for injured superstars.

Bingo.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

No, I don't want it. I agree with scrubs being tough...tougher and more time consuming to research before the draft and during the season. I learned there's no recovering from a poor draft :yellowprison:

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No one had a poorer draft than me in Scrubs.

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Which brings up the point that it's best to 'be there' for the live draft :D

17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I apologize family. I'm afraid that I'll need to respectfully bow out of this one. I'm too over committed. I'm in 4 leagues w/no time for any of them. Webz you are doing an excellent job so far. I really am sorry I won't be able to participate this year. Have fun fellas!

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Do we have a draft date set? I am going camping this weekend, but I should be back Sunday

19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

am i definitely in the keeper league? if not i'll just join the advanced league. when is the draft i need to do homework. i don't know who to pick for my c/pf since i have made a decision to not pick darko in the first 4 rounds.

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

There is hope for you after all...:)