PF.com Keeper League 08-09

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by webz, Sep 29, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Webz, if you are over stocked in this league I can bow out and just concentrate on the Advanced league. I have have so much work and travel to do the rest of the year, I am not sure I can run two teams....

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Cut the lame excuses Dre. I'm taking your trophy in advanced and i don't want to hear any of this "I was distracted" crap!!!

It's MINE I say...MINE>>>MINE>>>MINE!!!

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I started to do my homework and I'm tellin' ya, this auction draft thing is great, I like it. Gonna have to look out for the sleepers there

4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This league is proving to be a lot more work than I thought. I'm also running out of time, I've had a lot of things on lately including moving house and not having internet at home. I haven't even had a chance to do any player research for my regular player leagues! We've also had some guys turn down the league who I really hoped would join (don't feel bad though).

I've had thoughts about postponing this til next year, but I've seen strong interest by some members and I'd like to reward them by ploughing on.

I'm thinking that maybe we could run this as a 1 year deal initially (including the off-season next season), to help iron out all the problems and issues with the view to possibly start a new keeper league next year. As it's a new draft format, teams also wouldn't get penalised for a bad draft, or just making new mistakes for the next few years.

We could see what worked, what didn't work and hopefully once everyone sees how successful it is, all the bugs will be ironed out and we'll get more interest.

Hopefully everyone is ok with this. I'll be setting a draft time and date poll this week and confirming teams as well as sending out the rules.

Cheers.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A 1-year keeper league? That doesn't make sense, does it? :)

6. webz

Nope! :nerd2:

But we will still be able to test out lots of new functions:
    • Auction draft
    • Keeper rules
    • Off-season trading
    • Trading picks
    • New playoff format
    If all goes well we can either keep this league going, or make some modifications and start a new keeper league.

7. BillLaimbeer

Why not just say that you get to keep 5 guys on your roster for next year and call it a Keeper League? We could do a snake draft next year with draft order based on reverse of this season's standings.

8. webz

Yep, I've already worked out a system for all this. Just fine-tuning it before I announce it.

We will be having 3 keepers, and we will be utilising a snake draft after the 1st year which is the Auction. However, the draft order will not be based purely on reverse standings order to avoid tanking and to make the playoffs more competitive. More details soon I promise.

The previous post was to say that I haven't had much time to spend on the league and cannot guarantee everything will be fail-safe, so just in case things fall apart with the rules during the season, we may have to start a new Keeper league next season if there are any major bugs to iron out.

Thanks for your input Bill. :)

9. BillLaimbeer

Shouldn't we keep 4 or 5 guys at least?

10. webz

From the research I've done, most leagues and recommendations I've seen have between 2-4 Keepers. I chose the middle ground. I feel 3 is a good balance between keeping players and still having a worthwhile draft, which is more important for the bottom teams. The more keepers you retain, the greater the chance it takes bottom teams longer to catch up, and it's likely these owners will lose interest. We don't want that, so I think this is the best option.

There are also leagues called Dynasty leagues that let you retain 50% or more (or even all!) of your players. So if we were going to keep at least 5 players, we'd be entering Dynasty league territory.

11. webz

We are also down to 11 interested owners. Ideally, we'd like one more to make up 12. Anyone else interested??

12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I also think keeping only 3 players is a little bit too less. Yes, it may make it harder for other teams, but on the other hand, a player can always go down. So 5 players sounds perfect. Is it definite that this year is going to be a test- run only, a "keeper league for 1 year" :MusicBigGrin: ?

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've never been in a keeper league before, but from what I've heard of them, and IMHO, keeping 5 players is too many.

I think 3 is a good #, although I'm not even in this league and should probably just mind my own business.:MusicBigGrin:

14. webz

No, not yet. But if things don't work particularly well it might make more sense to make any changes necessary and start afresh, but this will be decided much later in the season and will be up to you guys.

I'd like to stick with 3 Keepers for now, and if it turns out that it doesn't work too well or the majority of teams want more, then we can look at making a rule change for the next season.

No no. Your input is most welcome. (But I think you should just play) :)

15. jammertime

Aw, you're just saying that because I agreed with you. :MusicBigGrin:

16. BillLaimbeer

No, we want you, Jammer. It's always nice to have at least one guaranteed win on the schedule. :pound:

17. jammertime

:pound::pound::pound: Good one Bill. You got me again.

The really funny thing is, I'm trying for the life of me to remember the last time I lost a heads up match to you or finished lower than you in any league standings. I seem to be having a heck of a time coming up with any.

Maybe I should ask one of the bottom feeders in our NHL pool, maybe they'll know. Wait a second, that would be you. My bad.

Well, maybe I'll check the NFL league... oops, you again.

I'm sure you're just having a recent string of bad luck. I'm sure that if I went back further and checked our baseball league. Um....never mind.

On second thought. Maybe you should take a look at that fantasy sports for beginners thread that Tater started.

18. BillLaimbeer

You asked for it. I did happen to check out our baseball league. Here is what I found:

Week 1: Laimbeer beats Jammer 7-3
    Week 10: Laimbeer beats Jammer 7-4
    Week 19: Laimbeer beats Jammer 6-5

19. jammertime

Well, I don't read so good. :reading:

Here's the one that I had Roscoe read to me:

Final Standings: Jammer 2nd Place, Lame-O 5th

20. BillLaimbeer

If you've learned anything from Flip Saunders, you should know that it's the regular season that matters, not the playoffs.