1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

PF.com Keeper League 08-09

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by webz, Sep 29, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So Roscoe the super genius scheduled his novice draft for almost the same time as the Keeper draft.

Time to test out my new 2 PC, 3 monitor setup. :)

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

man, after trying out this mock auction, i'm really disappointed that i won't be there...this is a pretty fun application and process. i big against the computer and spent $179 on chris paul, d-wade, lebron, and amare, and have $21 left for 9 more players lol

3. roscoe36

Chat will be available for the draft tonight. Chat will be here at PF.com.

I or Slippy will post the link later this evening.

Note, this chat is only for the draft. If you're not in the Keeper League, please stay out of the chat please.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

there's a chat in the draft application, shouldn't need to do it here

5. roscoe36

Oh, I didn't knoes about that.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yeah it's pretty slick. with that said, i just spent 2 hours setting my pre-draft values so hopefully the computer doesn't screw it up for me...but at least i can blame it on that if my team sucks ;)

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I just did the mock draft and spent $70 on Chris Paul. Not a good strategy.
    Maybe I should let the computer pick for me.

8. roscoe36

Wow, that was crazy fun!

Awesome.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Just wanted to thank Webz for putting this together.:cheers: The auction draft was really, really cool. Roscoe showed up with a wheelbarrow full of gold while Ralphi's currency was inflating right before my eyes.

I'm very excited that I get to be in this league for the long haul.

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yeah, that was fun. I'm warned not to spend 9 million on players like Brad Miller, 22 on Okafor, 18 on Roy and so on. But at least I saved my money and didn't spend 18 freakin' mils on Darko :p
    I've learned my lesson if there should ever be a auction draft again and you can guess I'm going to keep Al Jefferson, Josh Smith and Shawn Marion for the long haul!!!

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

too bad i missed it - of course they have public mock drafts you can do all the time, so you could always try that out to get your fix.

i'm actually pretty happy with the values i set for players and how the computer drafted my team...not exactly what i would have drafted, but i've got a large number of quality guys and some scrubs. i was going to go for a few studs and a bunch of scrubs, but not sure that would've been better.

the only thing i don't like is having 5 guys eligible at SF and 4 at SG, 3 of whom could start at that position (joe johnson, paul pierce, kevin durant), while my PGs are nate robinson, quinn, telfair, and sessions (after waiver wire pickup). at least it leaves me open to a decent trade, but in the meantime i have to hope one of those 4 PGs breaks out.

12. roscoe36

The autodraft was tres bizarre. Webz stressed, and he was right, that people set values too high and thus bid themselves out too fast, too early.

At the end of the draft, all-star talent was going for $15 because fools like me paid $71 for Lebron James.

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The Draft was exciting. It was funny how a lot of teams were flat broke at the end and All Star talent was still on the board. I did over pay for Marc Gasol, but he may have a break out season and might be a steal for 10 million. I managed my salary cap wisely so it didn't really hurt. I don't think I have the best team right now, but I know my team is atleast in the top 3 with Garnett, Brand, Okur and Kaman holding down my front line. Getting guy's like Redd, Gerald Wallace and Peja late for pennies on the dollar was priceless.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

Just curious...what players went for $50 or more?

15. Winless Wonders

LeBron $71, CP3 $61 and Dwight Howard $71 :nailbiting:. Amare went for $49.

16. roscoe36

The league average should be $14. But many players went at a premium, because of age and the fact that you get to keep them.

That said, LBJ was probably worth $50. Not $71. But bear in mind, as long as he isn't injured, I have one of the premier talents in the league, for as many as 5 or 7 more years.

In that sense, it was a frenzy. Also, the guys who autodrafted tended to bid up players so in some cases, we were bidding against the computer, which had no real strategy except to pay around X price. I think if the autodraft values were 20% lower, or if there were no people autodrafting, then it would have been a little bit better.

That's not to beat those guys up. They had no idea, and neither did I. Just in retrospect, autodrafting, where someone may have valued Darko @ $50 and Lebron James @ $100 will skew the results.

Towards the end when people could only pay $4 or $5 for players, one autodrafter was bidding up to $7 and $8 each time making people chase.

If I was going to do this over, I wouldn't have bid on any of the top 10 players, and I would have nominated all Pistons for auction.

17. Winless Wonders

This is a very good point. Paying more for a star talent is no crime especially if he is going to be the heart of your franchise. Over paying for mid level talent when there are tons of other guy's that can put up the exact same numbers or better that is what gets you in trouble later in the draft.

18. max

max All-Star

So how did the Robot do? Did it seem like I had any wacked out picks? It does not say what I ended up paying for them. Very happy I got Paul, Melo and Dwight Howard.

Thing is with only 10 teams there is going to be a lot of talent to pick from right off the wire.

19. Winless Wonders

Click on the draft recap and you can see all of the prices that were paid. The robot was bidding up the prices. You paid $71 bucks for Dwight Howard which was steep. Your team was near broke by round 5 or 6. LOL.... The main thing is that you got some of the players you wanted and are somewhat happy with your squad.

20. roscoe36

I think the whole point of the keeper league, is to think a little less about building your roster, and a lot more about building a franchise. That's why I didn't bid on many players over the age of 30.