PF Piston Pieces 8/24/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 24, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Pistons Defense Not What It Used To Be
    Vince Ellis - Freep

"Neither Gordon nor Villanueva has been accused of being a lockdown defender, but this off-season was more of an acknowledgment to how the game is played now.

Up-tempo basketball featuring the pick-and-roll is how the game is played. League rules dictate fouls practically whenever an offensive player is touched. So good defense is more about schemes than just telling a guy to stop an opposing scorer one-on-one because that is a lot harder than it used to be.

Gordon's recent comments to Dime Magazine reflected that philosophy.

"If you look at the way the game is being played now, Joe has tried to change our team to be successful," Gordon said. "The game is a lot more up-tempo now, and defending teams is different because it's just not as physical as the game once was.

"It's really not a grind-it-out style of ball anymore. Though we'll have a lot of offensive guys, defense will still be our staple."

Piston defense not what it used to be | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com-

It's Contagious
    Matt Watson - Detroit Bad Boys

"the Amir Johnson Man-Crush is contagious — Scott Carefoot of the always excellent RaptorBlog is the latest victim:

"If you’re wondering why I’ve been excited about Amir Johnson’s potential throughout his career, I offer you this, this, this, this and this. The guy can flat-out fly and he’s a hair under seven feet tall. I would put him ahead of Reggie Evans in the Raptors’ big man rotation and I’d shift him right into the starting lineup when Bosh is out. If we can find a way to give Amir 20 minutes per game this season, I’ll be a happy camper. And if he doesn’t pan out? He’s an expiring contract so his $3.9 million comes off the books in 2010."

It’s contagious! | Detroit Bad Boys

Darko Milicic could have been a stud, but Larry Brown had to exist
    Matt - Bareknucks.com

"Why did Darko Milicic fail? I blame Larry Brown. For 2 and a half seasons with the Pistons, Larry Brown never played Darko meaningful minutes. Darko got about 5 minutes a game, all coming in garbage time. Someone in the media even nicknamed him “The human victory cigar“, because he only got on the court after the game was decided, a Pistons win or loss.

How can you expect a young talent to improve if he’s playing once or twice a week for 5 minutes? You have to throw rookies and young guys into the mix and let them make mistakes and learn. Darko never got that chance, and was completely mentally destroyed from the hellish years in Detroit.

Now, some say with Rasheed and Ben Wallace on the team, there was no room for Darko in the rotation. Mehmet Okur was getting some of the backup time. But really? Darko couldn’t sniff the court, at all? He couldn’t have gotten in at the end of a quarter or two and worked up a sweat? Learned a few things? He was the #2 pick! He had to have some talent! He’s got to have the opportunity to play. How often does a #2 pick not get a chance to prove himself with the team that drafted him? Maybe the pick wouldn’t have been such a disaster if Brown gave him the opportunity to play and contribute."

Darko Milicic could have been a stud, but Larry Brown had to exist

Depth Distress
    Keith Langlois - True Blue Pistons

"A few days ago we looked at depth charts in the Eastern Conference to get an idea of which contenders might have some exposure at certain positions or which also-rans might have a roster that suggests they have the stuff to beat expectations. Now let’s shift to the West:

Among likely playoff teams, I see some serious potential trouble spots for at least three because of thin frontcourts."

PISTONS: Depth Distress

2. G-man

G-man Starter

This Rosenberg piece ran back in June but I figured a number of people in here might not have had an opportunity to read it.

Joe Dumars' steady style helping through changing times
    Michael Rosenberg - Free Press - TV20Detroit.com

"Joe Dumars is 46. His coach and mentor, Chuck Daly, died. Pistons owner Bill Davidson, the man who gave him a chance to run a team, died. His team was mediocre for the first time in nine years, and Dumars took more criticism from fans than ever.

That is a lot for anybody to handle in a short span. Dumars sat down with me in his office this week for a lengthy interview. We talked about what Dumars called “a trying 12 months” and the various crossroads he faces in his life.

“Losing Mr. D has been tough,” said Dumars, the Pistons’ president of basketball operations. “I don’t know if there’s a lot of people you meet in life that you can say is a great man. For me in my life, he’s one of the few. …

“Losing Chuck, that’s definitely tough. … With a guy like Chuck, he was a really, really, really good human being. I knew very early on that I was really fortunate to come into this league under him and watch him, watch how he dealt with people and issues.

“You know, it’s been a tough year. But you’ll never hear me complain about any of it. Ever.

“Because when you’re fortunate enough to have a lot of good stuff happen, and then you run into a tough year, I think you have to be willing to handle adversity with as much dignity and class as you can, as much as you handle prosperous times.

“But make no mistake: It’s been a trying 12 months. That’s for sure. That’s for sure.”

"Don't trust happiness, Kid. It doesn't last."

-- Chuck Daly"

My TV20 Detroit Mobile Edition - Pistons - Joe Dumars' steady style helping through changing times

3. G-man

G-man Starter

The 10 best teams of the decade to never win a championship
    Kelly Dwyer - Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports

"9. Detroit Pistons, 2005-06
    With Flip Saunders turning what was a 17th-ranked offense into a 4th-ranked offense while sustaining the defense (dropped from 3rd under Larry Brown to 5th with Saunders), the Pistons were bandied about as a possible 70-win team until a March and April swoon saw what was once a 47-9 outfit finish 17-9.

Whether these Pistons tuned Saunders out is up for discussion, but the desultory end to the regular season was topped off by two sleepwalking turns against the Bucks and Cavaliers in the first two rounds (even losing by 20 to an underwhelming Milwaukee team), before the Heat downed the Pistons in six games (with three of Miami's wins coming by double-digits, no small feat considering the snail-like pace) in the Conference finals.

Also considered: Detroit Pistons, 2004-05; Detroit Pistons 2007-08."

The 10 best teams of the decade never to win a championship - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

4. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

There is only 1 coach who so happens to be in this list TWICE!!! ARGH!!!

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's a bad argument for slamming a coach. Popovich is listed on their FOUR times.

6. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Pretty much all of the teams on the list fell apart because of some mental breakdown, Pistons included. Perhaps Joe D's biggest goal fr this off season was to get grounded professionals on the team that can form a strong enough core to prevent those mental breakdowns. Of the free agents that were available this year, and even next year, it is hard to find many that are proven and clutch on the same level as Ben Gordon (and aren't obviously staying with their team). Kind of explains the signing, despite the fact that he doesn't neatly fit into our lineup

7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If you wanna include 'considerations' in there, then the super coach I mentioned would be listed at least FOUR times too. To add salt into wound, this coach did not win any rings. Pop actually has 3 rings to show. I would take that anyday.

8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

2006 Pistons are way too low.