PF Piston Pieces 9/10/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 10, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Pistons Team Report
    Yahoo Sports

"Wallace disappointed many of his wig-wearing fans in 2006 by signing a splashy 4-year, $60 million contract with Chicago, which easily trumped the Pistons’ $50 million offer. But Wallace wasn’t close to being the same player in Chicago or Cleveland as he was in Detroit. The anger over Wallace’s departure has dissipated and news of his return brought a generally favorable response, tempered by lowered expectations. He will compete with Chris Wilcox and Kwame Brown for playing time at center.

“This is the best situation for a 35-year-old Ben Wallace,” he said.

Wallace left $4 million on the table in Phoenix to finish out his career in Detroit. It should increase the chances of his old No. 3 jersey getting hung in The Palace rafters after he retires. He was the face of the franchise during its ascent earlier in the decade. Now, the man with the famous ‘Fro has shorter, grayer hair and a lot less explosion in his legs.

Wallace believes he can still make a difference on the defensive end, though the Pistons have shifted their philosophy with the free-agent signings of gifted scorers Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

“In order to be a great team in this league, you have to play defense,” he said. “Teams that play defense are the ones that win night in and night out. Teams that come down and try to beat you on the offensive end, they’re not real consistent.”

Back in a Pistons’ uniform, Wallace expects the fans to give him a warm welcome. He believes his past accomplishments with the organization will overshadow any lingering ill will from his surprising departure three years ago.

“The respect I had when I was here was great,” he said. “The cheers I had when I was here was great. The boos I had when I wasn’t here, it still was great. It let you know that people do miss you.”

Pistons Team Report - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

New Pistons coach John Kuester can't wait to get started
    Ted Kulfan Detroit News

"New coach John Kuester hasn't been paying attention to what the analysts are saying. All Kuester knows is he can't wait to begin working with the roster he has.

"I believe we have a group of guys who want to get better and are up to the challenge," Kuester said Wednesday, counting the days before the start of training camp Sept. 29. "I'm not even concerned about where they're picking us. The bottom line is making sure we do a good job from the beginning of the practice, to the beginning of the season, and continually trying to improve.

"I'm excited about the group we have."

Kuester sees a roster that is deep, versatile, has good length, and can score.

"We're going to have some competitive practices and that's one of the things I'm looking forward to," Kuester said. "In a practice environment, seeing our guys competing against each other."

One of the keys during training camp and the exhibition season will be Kuester implementing his defensive system, "to get everyone on the same page conceptually and in terminology."

Although potentially explosive offensively with free-agent additions Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva, the Pistons need to retain their trademark tough-minded defense to remain playoff contenders."

New Pistons coach John Kuester can't wait to get started | detnews.com | The Detroit News

For Pistons' Gordon, British squad must wait
    Free Press Staff

"Gordon eventually might join the British national team, but he told Hoopshype.com he had other priorities this summer.

"I'm definitely on board to play for Great Britain," he said. "But I didn't want to make a commitment as far as when I was going to play until I felt I was totally committed to that cause.

"I want to go there when I'm ready, and this summer to me was about getting situated and moving from Chicago to Detroit. I wanted to have everything in order in my life before going overseas and representing the country."

For Pistons' Gordon, British squad must wait | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com

Replacement referees and what they mean for the Detroit Pistons
    Dave Ryan The Examiner

"Every single company in the U.S. is focused on cutting down costs, and the NBA is no different. Commissioner David Stern wants to lower the $32 million budget allocated to referees by up to 10%. That equates to $3.2 million in salary. Knowing that the refs themselves have proposed a $2.5 million decrease as an alternative, we currently have a foolish dispute over $700,000.

Instead of pilfering the remaining money from Mark Cuban's bank account, it appears Stern is prepared to stick with his proposal and hire "scab" refs for as long as possible if needed. Is this a dumb strategy? Yes. Will it work? Probably. The notable thing here is that Stern is making himself to be the "tough guy" in the room for the first time in a long while. Most are pointing towards the 2010 labor negotiations as a reason for this "sterness" (see what I did there?), with the hope that a tough stance here with refs would carry over to the players when the time comes.

But what does all this nonsense actually mean for the Detroit Pistons? That's a difficult question to answer. On the surface it appears like things will remain unchanged. But at the same time, a serious move like this could possibly establish a new precedent for how NBA games are called. Would favoritism really go out the window? Doubtful. Here are four theories anyway:"

Replacement referees and what they mean for the Detroit Pistons

Pistons telethon to aid 400 families
    Macomb County News

"The Detroit Pistons organization, with help from Fathead and Rock Financial, is to distribute a truckload of supplies to 400 families in need from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Robbie Parker Elementary School.

The volunteers, including local youth groups, are to distribute 25-pound boxes of food and personal care items to families from Childhelp Michigan.

Funding for the food and supplies came from the Pistons Care Telethon, a 17-hour event held in March at the Palace of Auburn Hills. The event raised more than $450,000.

Quicken Loans/Rock Financial donated 400 backpacks for the children of the families selected to receive support. Fathead, headquartered in Livonia, makes life-size wall graphics."

Macomb County news: Officer is attacked by pit bull | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com

Ben Gordon is right, the Pistons are rebuilding
    JAMIE SAMUELSEN FREE PRESS

"On one hand, I will never criticize a man for speaking the truth. The Pistons are rebuilding, and I’m glad Gordon recognizes that. On the other hand, I’m not a huge fan of a player who just signed a $55-million contract watering down the expectations for the team. It’s like when Barack Obama moved into the White House and said, “Whoa, this economy is a lot more screwed up than I thought. This might take some time.” Yeah, we know. It’s your job to fix it. Yeah, Ben, we know this team was on the decline, it’s your job to fix it.

But I’m with Gordon on this one. The rebuilding line will get highlighted and get the attention. But if you read all of the comments from the new Piston, he really has a thorough analysis of what happened and what needs to happen going forward. (Check it out in our Pistons blog here.) The team was one of the best and most-consistent in the league since 2001. Last season, it took a major step backward, and Joe Dumars started to make over the roster as soon as the final horn sounded in the Cleveland series. You can agree or disagree with the moves Dumars made, but you can’t disagree with the need to make them.

I don’t hear Gordon making excuses. I hear a rational player who has been through this before. Take a brand-new coach and a brand-new core of players and mix them in with players who have only known a certain way of doing things for nearly a decade, and there is bound to be some missteps."

Ben Gordon is right, the Pistons are rebuilding | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com

Chicago Hope
    The Wages Of Wins Journal

"Gordon vs. Pargo"

"The only other move the Bulls made was the signing of Jannero Pargo, a move made at the same time Ben Gordon signed with the Detroit Pistons. Both Gordon and Pargo are undersized shooting guards who like to launch shots from beyond the arc. There are, though, substantial differences. On the positive side, Pargo is far cheaper. Unfortunately, the Bulls are getting what they pay for. In terms of on-court productivity, Pargo is very much a downgrade.

As has been noted in the past in this forum (and also in The Wages of Wins), Gordon – relative to an average shooting guard – is not very good. In fact, Gordon has never posted a WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes] mark that was above average. WP48, though, compares a player to the average at his position. If Gordon could be compared to Pargo, he would be a superstar.

Table One reports the productivity of each player the Chicago Bulls employed last season. As one can see, Gordon’s WP48 was 0.097 last season. Pargo didn’t play in the NBA last season, but his career WP48 is -0.018. So Gordon was 0.115 better than Pargo’s career average; or if Pargo was an average player [WP48 of 0.100], Gordon would have a 0.215 WP48 [i.e. Gordon would be a star]."

Chicago Hope « The Wages of Wins Journal
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Can someone please tell me why all these different rags keep reprinting the same 4 paragraphs about Ben Wallace Re-signing in Det?
  3. G-man

G-man Starter

Hey Low,

It's quiet out there and they pick up previous drivel and filter it through a little new copy to post something. Its not a lot different than all the preseason picks that have the Pistons in the middle of the pack and essentially fart-up all the same Dumars misgivings..That'll all start changing in the next month as players start rolling into camps early...
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

that and the local guy can't do his job. PERIOD.... he so stinks....

when his highlighted piece is about Avery Johnson and Joe Dumars doing the dance about getting a contract figured out to bring Avery into coach the Pistons over 2 months after we have hired a new coach, gone thru summer league.... I swear the man doesn't work a day in the summer, this is the 2nd summer i have tracked his lack of work......

seems to be a few stories on the pistons atleast on the news website, maybe they got a new beat writer? we can only hope.
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...besides, GMAN...I get the point about there not being very much going on. But, when you're the 10th guy taking those stories to regurgitate them, it becomes pretty obvious and might warrant picking up the Bat-phone and calling Joe D to see if he has anything interesting to say...

...that's all I'm sayin...
  6. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Small ball?? :stirthepot:
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's the correct translation!