PF Piston Pieces 9/13/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 13, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Allen Iverson comes to Grizzlies with swagger
    Scott Cacciola Memphis Commercial Appeal

"One thing is for sure," Iverson said. "I'm going to do whatever the coach wants me to do."

Sound familiar? Well, this is what he said when he was traded to the Pistons last year, and it seems almost laughable now. So why should anyone trust what he had to say at Thursday's press conference at FedExForum, where his script -- such a familiar script -- rang hollow to his harshest critics?

Detroit was not a pleasant experience for anyone involved. Not for the fans, who watched the Pistons go 39-43 before getting clobbered by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round of the playoffs. Not for first-year coach Michael Curry, who lost his job. And not for Iverson, who missed the last month of the regular season and the playoffs with an apparent back injury.

Or, at least, that was his excuse. Others accused him of quitting on the team because he was upset about his role, having been relegated to the bench. And Iverson later conceded as much, saying he would "rather retire" than come off the bench. Was this doing whatever the coach wanted him to do?

Nothing clicked with the Pistons. With Iverson on the court, their offense often degenerated into 1-on-5 sets, and Curry could never figure out how to incorporate him. In 54 games, Iverson averaged a career-low 17.4 points on 41.6 percent shooting, 4.9 assists and 3.1 rebounds.

"He went there, and he couldn't really trust what people had told him," said Gary Moore, Iverson's business manager and grade-school football coach. "People in Detroit weren't very truthful with him."

According to Moore, Iverson had been told that he would be the leader of the team when he arrived, and that was not what played out. The players were upset that the front office had traded away Chauncey Billups, Moore said. Iverson was persona non grata before he even showed up.

"Allen couldn't do anything about that," Moore said. "When you lie to him, that affects him."

Allen Iverson comes to Grizzlies with swagger : Grizzlies : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Love/Hate For Jordan At The Hall; Iverson Helps memphis Immediately
    Dime Magazine

"… If that’s true, it may confirm the suspicions of those in the minority about the Iverson/Pistons debacle: That it was more about Joe Dumars and Michael Curry failing A.I. than the other way around … And no surprise here: Since Iverson joined the Grizzlies, ticket sales have shot up. “The last 48 hours it has been our biggest two days of sales since we started here,” a Grizzlies’ official said."

Love/Hate for Jordan at the Hall; Iverson helps Memphis immediately | Dime Magazine (www.dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers

John Kuester has plenty to keep him occupied
    Vince Ellis Freep

"An avid football fan, Kuester talked happily of sitting back and catching football on the TV.

He even made it back to Chapel Hill last weekend to watch his alma mater, North Carolina, demolish The Citadel, 40-6.

But the Pistons' first-year coach likes this time of year for an even better reason -- the basketball lifer's training camp is right around the corner.

"It's an exciting time for me," Kuester said Thursday morning. "I got a group of people that want to get better at basketball.

"Although I would be excited this time of year anyway even if I were still in Cleveland."

John Kuester has plenty to keep him occupied | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com
  2. G-man

G-man Starter

Steaming cow pies...

"If that’s true, it may confirm the suspicions of those in the minority about the Iverson/Pistons debacle: That it was more about Joe Dumars and Michael Curry failing A.I. than the other way around"
    Dime Mag

Nice bit of revisionist crap being spewed by whoever is writing this piece at Dime, it's an "authorless" cut. Most be their Memphis team stringer
  3. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Re: Steaming cow pies...

A.I. has his own head stuck up this natural a**!!! He is a goon and no one really wants him on their squad. Idc how great of a scorer he is or how tough he is on the court, if I was a GM I wouldn't want him on my team.
  4. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Anyone actually considered that this might be true, but then the management realised that the team wouldn't accept it? Wasn't the initial 'story' about the move that they were getting a superstar and had never had one?
  5. G-man

G-man Starter

"According to Moore, Iverson had been told that he would be the leader of the team when he arrived, and that was not what played out." Memphis Commercial

The story walks like a duck. Iversob "was told by Dumars" he would be the "leader"?

So Sheed, Rip & Tay were supposed to "lie down" for Iverson? A "sales point" part of the trade Agreement? Can anyone be dumb enough to think that the 3 vets would cede their hard-earned leadership in Detroit to Iverson the "conquering" hero? Could Iverson be dumb enough to believe such a moronic self-told tale?

Of course not. He played the part of the broken court jester in a one man play. Iverson dogged it in Motown, he was a petulant loner. There is no other way to cut that cake. While sitting out the last six weeks of the season he was still being paid $250,000 per game.

I personally think his ego was petrified when in a landed in a city with bevy of guys as good as he was or better en masse. He couldn't play the team game cause he thinks he's the team. He refused to find a rythmn game and then sat out for the remainder.

The reason it's been so hard for any serious GM to even look at Iverson is; Iverson quit on the team. He left them hanging. As a GM, he's too damn expensive a purchase to leave you hanging.

He wasn't being avoided because of his games decline, nor was it his looming injuries. It was the risk just wasn't worth the reward unless he came so cheap you can't be embarrassed.

Memphis was a circus already. And they know that. They accept it.
    Adding Iverson is a lot like when Old Buffalo Bill arrived in New York with his Wild West Show (except it's really Memphis). It's a freak show built to sell seats. He's the Cheap Freak center stage and he's already starting to Chirp....
  6. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

You can be assigned or designated as a leader, but the bottom line is that leadership is a position that is earned. He did not earn the designation.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Amen brother! That is the way it is.