1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

PF Pistons Pieces 8/31/09

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 31, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Report: Bill Laimbeer to join T'wolves
    Freep

"NOTE: Pistons forward Charlie Villanueva suffered a twisted ankle in the final minutes of the Dominican Republic's 78-73 victory over Venezuela on Saturday at the FIBA Americas championship. He told ESPN.com "it's nothing bad" and was expected to play in Sunday's game against Argentina. He had 28 points and 12 rebounds Saturday as the Dominicans advanced to the second round."

Report: Bill Laimbeer to join T'wolves | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com-

Q&A with Joe Dumars - Part II
    Keith Langlois - True Blue Pistons

"KEITH LANGLOIS: Besides Gordon, the other name associated with you guys over the course of last season as people were speculating about which players the Pistons would pursue in free agency was Carlos Boozer, who decided not to opt out of his contract. So I’m wondering with Charlie Villanueva, was he a guy you focused on later in the game and what about Charlie convinced you that he was the guy, after Ben, that you were going after?

JOE DUMARS: If you don’t have the strong, low-post, traditional four man that can score, if you don’t have one of those top guys, you certainly better have one of those guys we call a stretch four – that can stretch the defense, that’s versatile, that’s inside-out. You have to get one or the other. If you’re not going to get a traditional four guy, then today’s game requires you to have more versatile four men. Charlie is the prototypical guy that can play inside, play outside, average 7½ rebounds, can shoot the 3, can put it on the floor. That’s why a guy like him becomes really appealing to you.

KL: Let’s talk about the decision to bring Ben back. What did you two talk about when the idea of bringing him back to the Pistons was broached? What are your expectations for him and what are his expectations for himself?

JD: The only thing I said to Ben about him coming back is you understand that you’re not coming back in the same role that you were before. He said, “I’m not worried about that, but I am going to show up and give it everything I’ve got.” And I said we will let that determine what happens. But what we didn’t want to do is predetermine. We left it open to him. The only thing I said was you’re not coming back as the Ben Wallace that was here before. If you understand that, then we’re fine. Because your play will dictate what we need and what we get from you. The other thing I said to him was this. Ben, understand something, you have some things you can bring to us that we really need right now. You have toughness, you still feel like you’ve got to be able to stop people, you still hang your hat on trying to defend, you’re still going to try to rebound, you have an incredible work ethic, and your approach, your presence, your all-business presence to the game. With the young guys we have right now, it’s imperative that I have someone like that walk through the doors every day with the young guys. He said, “You know I’m going to bring that every day.” I said I know you are. What I need is for you to spread that to every one of these young guys every day. That work ethic, that toughness, that mental approach that you have to stop people and defend. I said I know you’ve got it, but that’s not enough. I need you to spread that every day to the young guys and he said, “I understand what you mean.” That was the conversation we had.

KL: You probably didn’t need any reinforcement, but because John Kuester was with him in Cleveland last year, did you go to John and ask what he thought?

JD: We talked about it. We absolutely talked about it and he said, used the right way, man, he can help us big-time. But I have to use him the right way. We know that Ben is not a 35- to 40-minute a night player any more. But used in the right circumstances he can be a big help to us. I would say one other thing. Because it’s Ben, people may not understand or realize that we’ve always done this. What I’m saying is, Cliff Robinson, Elden Campbell, Dale Davis, Theo Ratliff, Chris Webber … we’ve always gone out and signed a veteran big as the fifth or sixth big. It just so happens to be that it’s Ben Wallace. And he has such an incredible history here that he’s not your typical guy to go out and get. But ever since I’ve been here I’ve always believed in having a veteran big guy on your roster, and in a pinch, if something happened and one of your starters goes down, every one of those guys I’ve named has stepped in and started for us. Veteran big, short term – Dale Davis, Chris Webber, Theo, Elden Campbell – all those guys have stepped in and started for us in short periods of time when we’ve needed it. He is that veteran big guy we’ve always had. It just so happens that it’s Ben Wallace."

PISTONS: Q&A with Joe Dumars - Part II

Bulls to sign Arroyo?
    John Jackson - Chicago Sun Times

"According to a report in the Puerto Rican Newspaper El Nuevo Dia, the Bulls are close to signing veteran guard Carlos Arroyo to a one-year, $1 million contract.

Arroyo, 30, played in Israel last season. During the 2007-08 season he played with the Orlando Magic and averaged 6.9 points and 3.5 assists in 62 games (20 starts). He has averaged seven points and 3.3 assists in 10 NBA seasons with the Magic, Toronto Raptors, Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz and Detroit Pistons."

Bulls to sign Arroyo? - Inside the Bulls

FIBA America Qualifiers: Day 5
    ESPN - Alfredo R. Barrios

"Luis Scola finished with 30 points, Paolo Quinteros scored 14 and Pablo Prigioni 11 plus 5 assists for Argentina. Al Horford led the Dominicans with 24 points and 11 rebounds, Francisco Garcia scored 20, Luis Flores 16 and Jack Michael Martinez added 13. Charlie Villanueva had a bad day with 9 points by shooting 3-13 from the field but he helped the Dominican side with 10 rebounds."

FIBA Americas Qualifier: Day 5 - TrueHoop By Henry Abbott - ESPN

N.B.A. Teams Devise New Ways to Fill Seats
    Vincent M. Mallozzi - NY Times

"In an effort to fill seats during difficult economic times, many N.B.A. teams are hoping to lure new fans with incentives.

Perhaps no other team has enhanced its marketing game the way the Nets have. They are offering ticket buyers free jerseys, complete with the names of their favorite players — and their favorite opponents.
    The Nets are promoting a 10-game plan that includes tickets to see the Los Angeles Lakers, the Boston Celtics, the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Miami Heat and the Orlando Magic. Any fan who buys at least two tickets for the 10-game plan (mininum 20 tickets) will receive a reversible jersey from each of the five marquee games, one side featuring the name of a Nets star, like guard Devin Harris, and the other featuring the name of a marquee opponent"

The Detroit Pistons are offering three options: the Big Game Plan, 12 marquee games for the price of 9; the Weekend Plan, 12 weekend games for the price of 9; and the Economy Plan, 16 games for a minimum of $225."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/sports/basketball/31nba.html

Much Ado About Stephen Jackson
    Joel Brigham - Hoopsworld

More Ideas for Boozer

"I wrote an article earlier this weekend that toyed with hypothetical trades involving Carlos Boozer, who has made it clear he'd like to be moved. The five teams discussed in that article (New York, New Jersey, Chicago, Sacramento, and Miami) were chosen because they are the five teams reported to be most interested in Boozer. But, as several readers pointed out, why should the fun stop there? Several HOOPSWORLD regulars offered up other possible trades for Utah's All-Star power forward, either via email or the comments section, so here are a few of the more logical suggestions you guys came up with:

Detroit trades Richard Hamilton (4 years, $49.6 million) and a first-round draft pick to Utah for Carlos Boozer

What is Detroit going to do with Ben Gordon and Richard Hamilton? Why not move him along to Utah for Boozer, which would solve position issues for both teams? The Pistons have a glut at shooting guard but need a power forward, and the Jazz have a glut at power forward but need a shooting guard. How much clearer could this be?"

HOOPSWORLD

The Top 100: James, Bryant remain at the head of the class
    Tony Mejia - Pro Basketball News

This is the sixth part of PBN's series of positional player rankings, which will also feature a seperate list of Top Rookies as ranked by senior writer Tony Mejia. These rankings are based on an ambiguous formula of past accomplishments, upside, team role and general worthiness of swagger. As in, who's most swagger-worthy? They're entirely subjective, so arguments are not only expected, but encouraged.

"61. Tayshaun Prince, Detroit - A rough series against LeBron James and the Cavs left a sour taste on a tough season, but Prince actually did his thing amid the turmoil. He played all 82 for a sixth straight year, averaged his usual 14 points and three assists and shot nearly 40 percent from 3-point range while grabbing a career-high 5.8 rebounds. He won himself a gold medal for being a tremendous glue guy and remains a tremendous asset in that role.

62. Richard Hamilton, Detroit - The Allen Iverson experiment impacted Rip most of all, jerking him out of the starting lineup for the first time in his Pistons career and irking him to no end. He shot under 45 percent for the first time since 2005 and slumped terribly in his team's painfully brief playoff stint. With a new coach, new teammates and a guaranteed starting spot, a bounce back year is a good possibility.

65. Ben Gordon, Detroit - He's hit over 40 percent of his many 3-point field goal attempts every season he's been in the league and comes off the most complete campaign he's ever had. After starting almost exclusively last season, he'll return to a bench role in Detroit as the truest replica of Vinnie Johnson the city has seen the Micraowave left in '91.

81. Rodney Stuckey, Detroit - After making Chauncey Billups expendable, Stuckey struggled in his first season as a starter, with his numbers (13.4 ppg, 3.5 4.9 apg) looking rather ordinary. Still, the move to promote him was made with getting him invaluable experience in mind, so you can count on a significant jump in his third season, as he'll be a more confident and competent leader in trying to aid the Pistons' resurgence.

87. Charlie Villanueva, Detroit - After a strong second half to the season saw him become the focal point of the Bucks offense once Michael Redd went down, Villanueva cashed in on the admiration of the division rival Pistons and struck a lucrative five-year deal. Having turned 25 on Aug. 24, Charlie V is entering his prime and should start consistently and get more than 30 minutes per game for the first time in his career. Expect averages of at least 18 points and eight rebounds as a result, placing him in the favorites pool for Most Improved honors."

PBN | The Top 100

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

KL was doing some serious sucking up...

Why is he telling Joe was his response was?

Does he even need to interview Joe here?

3. Hovi Bryant

Hovi Bryant Second Round Draft Pick

Because he's hoping Dumars can prove him incorrect or provide more insight.

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Welcome to forum!

Believe me, a trained interrogator gets from his victim answers what he wants to hear!

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, welcome to the forum, Hovi. Just curious, are you related to Kobe?

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

...or Anita?

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Isn't there a band named Bon Hovi?

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

My guess is that he's from the city of Hovi...near Pixom..

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think so. Their lead singer and song writer is Hovi Carmichael, I think.