Phil Jackson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Over the years, I have been one of Phil's harshest critics. I mean he was handed the Bull's all star team and then was handed the Laker's (Shaq and Kobe) a few years later. I mean who couldn't win with that, right? Well, I must confess that I think Phil Jackson has proven to be a very good coach this year. He is doing a great job with the Laker's in my opinion. I think it would be extremely difficult to get any more out of that team then Phil has this year. Phil Jackson, my apologies for criticizing your coaching abilities. My criticism was proven to be inaccurate.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Phil is doing it with mirrors. unbelievable.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Come on guys, the coat rack that walks like a man (I always thought he must have left the hanger in his jackets to get them to fall that way.) can coach.

Sure the Bulls had talent, but it was MJ and the Jordanaires before he took it over. And getting Shaq and Kobe to co-exist couldn't have been easy. Best thing the does though is hire assistant coaches. And he knows how to use them.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I wonder what would have happened if Larry Brown had coached the Lakers this year and Phil Jackson the Knicks? :yo:
  5. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Kobe would be pulling a Marbury and vice-versa. Leading to Kwame Brown turning into Nate Robinson and wowing the league with jaw-dropping dunks...

...and then I wake up.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure the Knicks wouldn't have been any better. Actually, maybe a little better. Phil doesn't have quite the my way or the highway approach LB does.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Interesting story about Phil: He used to be able to sit in the back seat of a car and open both front-seat doors at the same time. In other words, he could reach both the latches at the same time because his arms are so long.

Anyway, good point buckeyes, Phil's Lakers are peaking at the right time. Kobe only gets 17 and they still look good.
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I admit, Phil can coach. However what we have in LA at the moment is good coaching and a marketing ploy by Phil and Kobe.

What they are doing is saying hey, "we can win with what we have here now, we just need someone like you (available free agents) to come and put us in that elite category".

Kobe has to prove that he is coachable and a team player, which is a hard sale BTW.

So far so good. I don`t know what free agents would look good in a LA uniform next year, but I bet Phil and Kobe have their eye on someone or two to fill that void.

So not only can Phil coach, he may be an excellent salesman too.
  9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

In regard to what I previously wrote, I am not implying that I think Phil is the main reason he has his 8 championships (or whatever the number is). I still think he was lucky in many regards. I'm just saying I think he has proven to be a very good coach. Much better than what I was previously giving him credit for.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yeah after these first four games in the playoffs for the lakers I've gained much more respect for both kobe and phil.