Philadelphia 76ers Dec. 5th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

cmon cloudwalker...you're calling amir 6'8-6'9 when he's clearly around 6'11 and very obviously taller than tayshaun. plus he actually likes to hang around in the paint. you get tay and sheed out there...sheed's already on the perimeter and tay forgets he's supposed to be a 4 (or when he remembers you'll notice how easily he gets outmuscled for rebounds and can't hang onto the ball).

we lost the game when we went with tay at the 4 for the reasons i just mentioned above, along with taking bad shots w/long rebounds that allowed philly to run and we never got back on D. he also couldn't stay in front of iguodala, but AA could. and yeah i don't really blame AI for that pass because no one was cutting toward the basket like they should've been.

but as for positives, players are starting to cut more (especially jmax) and getting some easy baskets. stuckey is looking better and better. we are meshing on offense. rip is doing better.

2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

The way theyre playin??easy first round exit. MC has to be better with rotations and not worry about egos and pt for starters. The starters have proven only one thing so far.....they can dig a hole...and lose a lead.

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

There is a huge difference between Amir playing PF and Prince playing PF. HUGE. And Max was killing it in the 1st half. Obviously his rebounding is not that great, but from bulk alone he would have been a much better option.

Sheed cannot be the only big protecting the paint. It doesn't work. He did what he could, but when your perimeters are getting beat (I'm looking at you AI) constantly, it's not going to work.

The small ball lineup is not effective with the combo of Stuck/Rip/AI; not defensively strong enough. Either play Arron at one spot or stop doing it.

I agree with whoever said that this small ball lineup is a way of playing Stuck or AA without Curry having to sit one of the big "3". It was absolutely the reason we lost this game.

We were hurting them with the O boards before. I don't even care if it's KB that finishes games. Prince at PF is just asking for suckiness.

4. max

max All-Star

I love that comment.

I get flashbacks of the 05 finals game 7 whenever I see it.

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He really isn't. How can a guy be obviously taller than Tayshaun yet so obviously not taller than guys like Antawn Jamison when both of them are standing straight up side by side at the FT line? He's not as tall as Amare Stoudemire, and that guy's only 6'10", so how in the heck does that make Amir 6'11"?

Amir was even listed as 6'9" by the hometown broadcast team. What, they didn't get the memo? He still hasn't been in the league/with the Pistons long enough for this secret height of his to get out?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lol. I wonder if Darko is 8 feet tall yet.

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it's been stated many times that when a guy comes into the league, his height is usually never changed on records/profiles, etc. i won't get into an extended discussion with you because it's very clear that he is not an undersized big man height-wise. if you want to claim he's 6'8" go right ahead...you have every right to be wrong. :)

8. roscoe36

Rodman was listed at 6'7" and 210 pounds. Amir is listed at 6'9" and 210 lbs.

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Although I will agree that "per minute" sounds a lot better than "per 48 minutes", I don't think that 26th in the league as a per minute rebounder is very impressive at all.

Considering the portion of his rebounds that are offensive, that drops his defensive rebounding from unimpressive to downright abysmal.

10. roscoe36

You don't think 26th in the league, from a 5'8" small forward who weighs 145 lbs is impressive? The dude ain't even starting.

What is it going to take to impress you?

In the words of UncleTy, "Sheesh!"

How much shorter and lighter in the pants does he have to get before you jump on the bandwagon and ring the dinner bell?

11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Amir may or may not be 6'10" or whatever...but he and Max play bigger than Tay. Heck AA plays bigger than Tay. Playin bigger is bangin and aggressively goin after the ball and attacking the rim on offense. Max attacks the rim like it owes him money any time he is is near it. I would like to see Amir do more of that personally. But both Amir and Max run and hustle like small men and play the pick and roll defense and rebound very well. That isnt even taking into effect the blocks they bring.

12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Cloud's points are well taken. While Maxiel and Amir have been playing well the last 4-5 games, they are undersized in many aspects and fairly one dimensional to use Cloud's word. One way to evalute them is to compare them with other young bigs in the league. Do they really rate near the top? The team tends to get pushed around and out-rebounded a bit too often. philly found out they could attack also exploiting our perimeter defense.

The coaching staff seems to be counting on the team to outscore people for stretches. Our efficiency in execution is not good enough to do that. The team needs to hang its hat on defense. But our defensive efficiency comes and goes.

Curry got caught in my opinion playing the small ball a bit too long. Once it got to a 6 point lead, he should have switched. He wasn't getting steals with the small ball and not getting great scoring. Then the lead shrank some more and it was too late to change it up the last 3 minutes.

Dyss will help but we can't play Dyss with Sheed--too slow as last year proved. This could be a great team if we actually had a top young big who could do damage provided Iverson can be integrated. We really seem to have too many quality guards.

13. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Don't watch it. Very frustrating being a pistons fan.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I hope you are getting enough sleep.

15. pass99

Rodman oozed athleticism. He could play anywhere and on anyone, with a mental razor's edge going at full speed.

He would not fit in with this group.

16. pass99

The Nets beat Philly (at home today)and something for the staff to keep in the back of their mind:

Lou Williams (SG) played 24 minutes: 6-13, 1-3 (3 pt)= 13
    Donyell Marshall (PF) played 16 minutes: 5-7., 3-5 (3 pt)=13

They were not starters. and their front line has similar problems to ours (minus of course, Brand). Who has a piston forum following that constantly comments that he does not make this team better.

17. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I can't wait until next year. Iverson wil be gone and Stuckey will be starting. :cheers: Boo, Iverson. Worst on-ball defender in the league.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is it too many quality guards or too few complete guards? It seems like they sometimes they need to have 6 guys out there to have everything covered at he 1 & 2. AA needs to play. That means AI or TGRH is out. If you keep AI you got a 6' 2 guard. Those that drool at the thought of starting 6'9 AJ at the 5 and the 6'5 Max at the 4 might like this, but it would present problems at some point.

WTF can every other team in the L seem to get their 4 easy 17' J's whenever they want, but it's like a lunar eclipse for the Pistons? Sheed hit one last night in the 4th but that was it. Is that too close to the block for him also?

I don't see what AI has accomplished in the L to merit this kind of playing time instead of Maxey and AJ.

Lastly, let's pick our superstars in order between Carlos Boozer (20,11!!!), Chris Bosh (26,10!!!) and Elton Brand (career 20,10 anyone need a ride to Springfield???). Here are mine:

19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Bosh then Booz

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I scrap Brand and Booz for Kaman and then I guess Amare just because he is such a non subjective force offensively.

I'm personally sick of trying to mentally justify playing shortround at the 4/5 just because they happen to statistically suck the least of our team of inside the paint suckers.

[​IMG]

edit to add - Boozer and Brand are overachieving short guys, but they are short guys nonetheless, and I'm sick of staring at that crap and trying to pretend it's alright.