Eagles Philadelphia Eagles Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

The Cowboys and Giants should give the Eagles plenty to worry about this season.
    Add to that the coaching woes in Philly, due to an underwhelming staff.
    The only thing missing is the locker room bickering.
    I expect to read about that soon.
    Eagles may experience a different type of year this season.
    Start out strong........then go flat.
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

come on guys... we all know the reason the Eagles will go nowhere.... and the reason that the Lions have gotten better each of the last 3 years now.... Think about it....
    Nemo likes this.
  3. Nemo

I used to like M&Ms until I read this post............I guess they're bad for you.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

5. Darth Tater

6. Darth Tater

Cousins to work out with the Eagles.

Too tough to call.

Would they reach for him in the first (#15), Like Minnesota did with Christian Ponder last year at (#12)

Will they move up in the 2nd round or just hopes he falls to the mid-2nd round (they have two mid 2nd round picks as of now)..

Do they even want to go for a "franchise quarterback this year and possibly even move up for Tannehill?

Are they even interested in the least bit in Cousins (they seem to be leaking his name to bluff at times and they lmost never draft who you think they will).

Would he fit in with the team, city and fans (seems like Seattle is a much better fit). Philly could be a really bad spot for him.

Does the injury to left tackle Peters change everything?

2012 NFL Draft: Kirk Cousins Has A Workout With KC Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride
  7. Nemo

Nobody is jumping to the first round for Cousins. Figure early to mid second round.

Peters is a pro-Bowl LT and considered the best in the NFL..........
    Blocking was kinda scarce last season as it was with Peters........... now.:cold:

May have to consider an 8-8 regular season prediction..........he's that valuable.

Look for the Eagles to punt during the draft...or invest in more padding for Vick...:)
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You pay Asante S. every penny of his $9M contract. I don't want to find out the Eagles cheated him.
    You guys wanted him with all the greed of a greedy NFL team. Now you think you can just blow him off !
    Maybe you should be penalized like the cowboys and redskins for dumping contracts.
  9. Darth Tater

:twitch::roll:

Businesses do that. An unfortunate reality that it is true in sports too.

Agree on Cousins. He is expected to go in the 2nd round...as was Ponder. I think he will (and probably should) go in the 2nd too.

8-8? Like you said, maybe the brilliant coaches cause that, but as great as Peters is, despite the likelihood that they will miss him a lot, if the Eagles were going to do well, they will still do well without him if they were going doing to do good with him.

Punt during the draft? I don't think I am following your train of thought. Please elaborate.
  10. Nemo

A punt is when the ball is snapped back to the punter who is 12-15 yards off the line.
    He punts in the direction of the other team and they gain possession after a punt return attempt.
  11. Darth Tater

Oh, sorry ,nemo, sorry. My bad. Sometimes I forget that not all of us graduated from High School. Let me explain. i will go more slowly this time.

I was asking you to elaborate on why you thought the Eagles should "punt" in the draft or get more protection for Vick.

(I understand the "more protection" part) but I'm not following your line of thinking or for what reason they should punt in the draft. Punt because they lost one player? Give up on a good or great season because they lost ONE player?

It may change their strategy a bit because their needs have changed, but I can't make myself believe that you think they should give up? Therefore, I was interested in what you meant.
  12. Nemo

I'm seeing the Eagles as an 8-8 team. They are not championship caliber.
    There is nothing that this year's draft has that will save them.
    Thus...their chances for an impact season are very small.
    so PUNT...........:) BTW....the smiley guy represents humor, or your turn to laugh.
  13. Darth Tater

IF they draft properly, I believe they are one of the odds on favorites to give it a go. They had too many new players last year with no offseason to prepare. They are in a very tough division, but we shall see where they are at.

It's too early for me to make a decent prediction, but I see them winning 10 or 11 and being a threat in the playoffs. Do you have any idea how many games they blew last season when very little went right and a whole lot went wrong? And they STILL were able to win 8 games. This year will be better. They even have a new defensive coordinator (he doesn't have the title, but Castillo isn't running the show any longer). :whistle:

We all should have a better idea later, but I'm thinking they get at LEAST ten and maybe a couple more.

Eagles and Lions in the NFC championship game? That would be a real nightmare for me. But there is no reason it shouldn't happen.
  14. Nemo

You certainly could be right about their season..........
  15. Darth Tater

I've been looking for a lot of stuff regarding Cousins and the Eagles. I've found quite a bit lately, and have also been hearing about him from the stuff I listen to online from their web site cronies. As I've said, that makes me feel like they will draft someone else.Cousins may go to Miami, Buffalo, or Cleveland. Wherever he goes (other than Dallas), I hope he does well!

I've been reading they would likely take Tannehill if Miami or Cleveland pass in the first round. Sounds like Miami may grab him, though.

The statistics show that only 3 quarterbacks drafted in the 2nd or 3rd rounds over the last few years are currently starting. So basically they are saying Cousins would only be a backup. Hence, the Eagles won't take him in round 2 even if he falls to them because he is a long shot.. It would sure be fun if they did draft home.

However, if they don't draft Cousins , Russel Wilson or the small school guy (Lindley) will be available in the later rounds. I don't like how the Eagles draft, but Reid somehow usually has some pretty good teams.

How could they possibly have confidence in Kafka if he didnt play over Vince Young? They are full of crap, I think.

You may be right nemo. They may suck. But there is also as much of a chance they could do great.

The new Nike (reebok was kicked to the curb) jerseys for the league will be displayed April 15th, I hear. I can't wait.

http://insidetheiggles.com/2012/03/25/eagles-poised-to-draft-quarterback-workout-lindley-wilson-and-cousins/

94 WIP’s Howard Eskin reports that the Eagles have recently worked out multiple quarterbacks in hopes of grooming one to be a future franchise signal-caller. According to Eskin, Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins, Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson, and San Diego State’s Ryan Lindley have each performed drills for the team.
    Cousins is the most heralded of the bunch. He looks the part, standing at 6-3, 218-pounds and projects as second or third-round draft pick. He isn’t terribly mobile, but he’s an intelligent passer with a good feel for the game. He moves enough and can make all the throws.
    Wilson, meanwhile, had a terrific season for the Badgers after transferring from North Carolina State for his final year of eligibility. Wilson’s size is a bit of a concern. He stands at only 5-11, but quarterbacks of a similar stature of succeeded in the league (see: Brees, Drew and Vick, Michael). Wilson put on a show at Wisconsin’s Pro Day, demonstrating his terrific arm strength and accuracy. He’s athletic and can make plays with his legs, but he was also the nation’s most efficient passer in 2011, tossing 33 touchdowns to only four interceptions as he led Wisconsin to a Rose Bowl appearance. If Wilson’s size wasn’t such a concern, he would be considered a slam-dunk first-round selection. As it stands, Wilson could go anywhere from the middle of the second to fourth rounds.
    Lindley is the least-known name of the bunch. And rightfully so. San Diego State football doesn’t exactly draw a national following. But Lindley is a solid pro prospect. He stands at 6-4, 228-pounds–the ideal body type for an NFL passer, but he completed only slightly more than half of his pass attempts last season. Still, he has good arm strength and could thrive under the right circumstances. Lindley likely projects as a fourth-round pick in what is considered a deep draft for the position.
    It’s impossible to project precisely where and when these guys will go, but the best case scenario would getting Wilson in the third round. Yeah, his size is a concern, but he’s a cerebral quarterback that does everything well. There may be more a risk in drafting Wilson than a guy like Cousins, but the payoff could worth it. The Eagles are in no position to miss on draft picks, but I’d rather they take a chance with a high-ceiling player like Wilson than passers like Cousins or Lindley, who, from this perspective, are just guys.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Awe jeeze,
    ...not this thread again.
    round likes this.
  17. Darth Tater

War and Peace, Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, Pride and Prejudice, The Philadelphia Eagles thread. The great classics never die. :humble:

I know. I can't believe it is still breathing either.
  18. Nemo

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Cousins wont last 40 picks.
  20. Darth Tater

Who is working out for the Eagles?

Every time I see Cousins name on the list it makes me think more and more that he is a red herring.

But what will they do at quarterback. I doubt they will move up for Tannehill. I really don't see Cousins being around at the 88th pick (3rd round), but if he is, I think they will grab him. i'm doubtful whether or not he will still be there in the 2nd round (unless they move up about 10 spots). You've got Cleveland, Miami, and Buffalo that might be interested in him once Tannehill is gone.

I'm still convinced they don't have confidence in Kafka. They had many opportunities to give him a chance, but didn't.

They could pick up Osweiller, Wilson, Lindley, or even Kellen Moore (how ironic for me) at bargain basement prices (although I think that is where their 4th round pick goes if they don't grab a quarterback earlier.

List of Eagles draft visits

It's important not to put too much stock into these visits, but it's also worth noting that the Eagles drafted several players (Jason Kelce[​IMG], Curtis Marsh[​IMG], Casey Matthews[​IMG] and Brian Rolle[​IMG]) from this list last season.
    The green background indicates official visits to the team facilities (limit of 30). The white background indicates the Eagles working out the prospect off-site.

Prospect Position School Ht. Wt. Projection Source Notes
    Omar Bolden CB Ariz. St. 5-10 202 Late Scout.com MTC
    Michael Brockers DT LSU 6-5 322 Early Scout.com MTC
    Orson Charles TE Georgia 6-2 251 Middle AJC.com MTC
    Kirk Cousins QB Mich. St. 6-3 214 Middle Fox Sports MTC
    Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame 6-3 220 Early Scout.com MTC
    Janzen Jackson S McNeese St./Tenn. 5-11 188 Middle Scout.com MTC
    Trumaine Johnson CB Montana 6-2 204 Middle Scout.com MTC
    Dontari Poe DT Memphis 6-4 346 Early Inquirer
    Chris Rainey RB Florida 5-8 180 Middle Palm Post MTC
    Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M 6-4 221 Early Daily News MTC

NOTES
    * The Eagles worked out quarterbacks Ryan Lindley (San Diego State) and Russell Wilson (Wisconsin), according to Howard Eskin. I did not include them in the chart above because it's unclear whether those were private workouts.