1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Eagles Philadelphia Eagles Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I give em a B since they traded away picks when Cox woulda been there at pick 15.........
    My draft board had it as a done deal.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I disagree.

St. Louis, Arizona, or maybe even Seattle would have grabbed him. I think St. Louis for certain would have taken him over Michael Brockers.

YOUR draft board? This I gotta see, Neptuno. Whatcha got for the birdies in round two, Mr. " Robert Griffin (drafted #2...and Washington paid a king's ransom to move up there) could drop as low as #21". Yeah, he could have...if over a dozen teams lost their minds. Please share.

3. Nemo

Never had a draft board........Anyways...it would be hard to predict who the Lions would take.
    Eagles are a much easier team to ponder as they're consistent.

Gotta wait to see how RGIII plays before we can determine where he shoulda been actually drafted.
    Remember........Ryan Leaf was a SURE pick at #2 also.........
    You'll be hearing soon how the offense scheme of Washington is drastically different from Baylor.

As far as who the Eagles are taking.........give me your guess first, then I'll tell you the correct answer. :)

BTW.........I gotta picture of you after winning your last fantasy league....like your smile.

[​IMG]

4. Darth Tater

We weren't talking about WHERE he should have been drafted, we were talking about WHEN he could be drafted. I agree that it IS possible that he will suck. I have no clue. But nice try...well, not really.

Haha. You expect me to pick put of a thousand players and then you will be correct merely by shooting down :6shoot: my one in a thousand guess down? Not happening, fishy.

WHO will the eagles draft?
    Well...I tend to agree with THIS guy who talks about what they will NOT do:

What the Eagles won't do in the draft

5. Darth Tater

Not me. That guy who won would be Laimbeer.

6. Nemo

I WAS surprised that so many fell in love with RGIII. I didn't think all the GMs would be fooled.
    That's why I picked him so low. I've seen Draft Gurus fall in love with certain players when there's nothing there. Mike Williams for thr Lions come to mind. Remember, I made that prediction before the love fest began.

I wouldn't shoot down your pick. I would simply predict the correct pick. So here goes............Second round Eagles.......

Possibly Trumaine Johnson from Montana......I think he'll go earlier.
    Probably Josh Robinson....from Central Florida. :)

7. Darth Tater

They have two (2) second round picks (at least as of this moment).

I don't know what they will do in the 2nd round or any other round. They are one of the most unpredictable teams out there (although everyone did know they wanted Cox). They probably won' sell too many jerseys with THAT name on the back.

Here is my list of possible quarterbacks and when I think they will grab them

Kirk Cousins...2nd round.

Brock Osweiller...2nd or 3rd round

Nick Foles...2nd thru 4th round

Russel Wilson (please don't)...4th round

Why even bothers...

Lindley...uggh)...4th or 5th.

B.J. Coleman...barfs

Crazy roll of the dice..what can you lose at this point? Go for broke
    Kellen Moore...4th through 6th...or undrafted. ohhh the bitter irony... (I could see New England taking Moore as I've said for years))

My choices.

1. Kirk Cousins...please God...just this once...Best college ever

2 .Brock Osweiller Arizona State

3. Nick Foles Arizona

4. Kelllen Moore (oi vay)

If none of the above, just wait until next year and spend all you've got on the highest pick you can get. 2012...down the toilet when Vick goes down.

2013...So what is the name of that kid at Michigan, again?

8. Nemo

You REALLY want that QB in the 2nd.........Hopefully...it happens. :)

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Eagles get the Arizona QB in the 3rd.

10. Darth Tater

There was a lot of cussing in the Tater home when that was announced.

Shocked. Nothing against Foles. He was my 3rd choice...but it was right there. They passed on Cousins. Wow.Foles looks like a big idiot. Good arm. That's about it, I guess. Shocked. Just shocked...

That and getting crushed by Rascoe in fantasy baseball. Shocked. Just shocked. Stunned and shocked.

11. Nemo

I really thought they'd take the CB in the late 2nd. He was the best on the board when it was their turn...and they passed.

12. Darth Tater

Why would the Eagles draft Foles over Cousins when Foles transferred to Arizona from MSU because he couldn't start over Cousins????

13. Nemo

A writeup on Foles............

First of all, Foles is a big guy. He’s listed at 6-5 and 245lbs and although I suspect he weighs less (more like 230-235lbs), he’s basically got prototype size for the position. Unfortunately, he has anything but prototypical physical attributes to start in the NFL. He’s a statue in the pocket, a sitting duck unable to avoid any pressure or even command any kind of evasiveness. He won’t extend a play by moving away from his comfort zone, he’s taking the snap and he’s throwing – there’s no wiggle room or adjustment. He won’t run away from pressure and he won’t make plays with his legs.

Foles has not got a big arm, it’s barely mediocre and he’s a marginal threat as a deep passer. Even on short range passes, he’ll often throw a knuckle ball on a simple screen or swing pass. When throwing downfield, he’ll toss it up for grabs with no velocity. Technically he’s a bit side-arm and while the height makes it less of an issue, he’d need to work on not only his release but leaning his weight towards the front foot to try and generate some power.

Not being a great physical prospect isn’t the be all and end all, but he just hasn’t got the required level of accuracy to compensate. We can look at the numbers and he had a 20/10 ratio last year, over 3000 yards passing and a 67% completion rate. All very impressive, yet it’s important to remember the funky Arizona scheme he’s working within. It’s exclusively screens, swings and slants. He threw as many as 54 passes in a game last season, most of which are high percentage completions to get the ball in space and make the most of the team’s playmakers such as Juron Criner.

When a player is competing within an offense that does such a great job making life easy for the quarterback, you expect them to at least master that scheme. I don’t get the feeling Foles is anywhere close to making the most out of the pass-happy offense he’s been provided with. If he can’t get a handle on this Arizona offense, how is he going to get a handle on a much more complex scheme in the NFL?

You may be surprised by the grade I’ve given Foles because he enjoys a lot of positive hype, but don’t take my word for it. When the National Football Scouting meeting took place earlier this summer, Foles was given a 7th/UDFA grade. Last year they give a similar grade to Colin Kaepernick, but it’s understandable why he was able to vault his grade much higher during the 2010 season. Kaepernick is an athlete, he’s got a rocket for an arm, he’s had major production in college and he led his team to a one-defeat season last year including a big win over Boise State. Foles cannot rely on wins, physical tools or mass production to promote his stock.

14. Darth Tater

Where did this writeup come from, nemo? I'm kind of skeptical of write ups where they only have negative things to say. Sounds like some disgruntled nobody.

I'm not thrilled with the Eagles passing on Cousins, and I think they made a big mistake, but the Eagles must have seen some positive things in his play.

He didn't have any kind of a supporting cast. His offensive line was one of the worst in football and his receivers sucked for the most part.

Let's be fair.

Here:

I think these are objective I even provided links:

Sideline Scouting - Nick Foles Scouting Report

Nick Foles, Arizona, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Nick Foles | Arizona, QB : 2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

***Do I personally think he will be a quality NFL quarterback after what I've read? Absolutely not***. I do not believe he will be one of those rare quarterbacks drafted after the first round that will succeed. Sounds like a Morninwheg pick.

15. Darth Tater

Interesting. Cousins wasn't even in the equation.

Foles, it turns out, was one of two quarterbacks the Eagles had their eye on in the middle rounds. After working out what Reid said was five quarterbacks during the pre-draft process, the Eagles narrowed their focus onto Foles and Wisconsin's Russell Wilson. When Wilson, the opposite end of the spectrum from Foles size-wise at 5-11, was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks with the 75th overall pick, the decision was taken out their hands and the draft room was happy to have Foles still on the board 13 picks later.

Reid Assesses QB Picture

National Football Post: If there was one mid-round QB that has the best chance of maturing into a solid starter it's Foles. He's a big strong kid, who can spin the football and make plays in the face of pressure. A great value for the Eagles with long-term starting potential. NFL ceiling: Solid starter. NFL flood: "Plus" reserve.

NFL - Draft - Yahoo! Sports

16. Darth Tater

Here are some grades for rounds 1-3:

Eagles get an "A"

(Lions got a "B")

17. Nemo

Lion's Draft score from Nemo.........

Top pick should be serviceable and be able to step into a starting role. Could become a stud, but should at least do better than the player he's replacing. Second choice was a puzzler as Lions pick for Talent versus need. He'll help take off pressure from Calvin as he becomes the 2nd best passing option at the WR position. With plenty of CBs in the Draft. the Lions waited too long to pick theirs. Shoulda taken a guy in the 2nd. This third round choice may not even get off the bench, except for the rare dime package.........

Overall grade: B

Eagles Draft score from Nemo.........

Top pick is a "HOSS" who will step in and stabilize the defensive line. Run defense will be much improved next season. Next pick was a linebacker in a position of need. Motor and determination are a positive, but a lack of size could prevent from being a consistent starter. The DE looks like many guys drafted in most seasons, except he's a little smaller, not as strong, and not quite capable. Should make for a good reserve. The QB choice is very questionable. He plays in a simple offense which allows for a high completion rate, but he hasn't mastered it yet. He's a big stiff on a team that's accustomed to blocking for a verrrrry mobile QB. He really doesn't fit into this offensive scheme. Makes me wonder what the Offensive Coordinator was drinking when he suggested this guy............

Overall grade: C+

18. Nemo

Kirk Cousins hasn't been picked yet....after 3 rounds. This is surprising because 7 QBs have already been drafted. If I were Cousins...Once I was drafted, I would look up a certain legendary QB who was drafted very late, but went on to have a certain HOF career. He could advise Cousins on what he did to prepare for the NFL.
    I think Cousins will end up making teams pay for this oversight.

19. Nemo

Foles record as a starting QB in college was 15 - 18. :cold:
    That must look like gold to Marty Mornhigweg.....:)

He was drafted because he physically looks like a QB.
    If he were 6 feet tall....he would not be drafted.
    Just think of the Boise St. guy if you don't believe.

20. Darth Tater

Now THAT ^^^ was funny.

I think you're just trying to take shots in any way you can at the Eagles just to get a reaction out of me. You are a fish with a fishing rod and baited hook. But I love talking about the Eagles so I will take a nibble of the worm. (I actually really appreciate that you take the time to research some facts so you can than proceed to twist them and then come to this thread to B. S.).

I don't know if Cousins will make them pay. he is such a nice kid and I feel bad for me. Looks like it was a good decision to stay home. Not too many teams left needing quarterback. I don't remember Buffalo drafting one. I DO think Kellen Moore is worth a flier. Why don't the Lions give him a shot at #3? When china doll Stafford goes down Moore maybe can prove himself like Stanton.

The more I read on Foles the more I understand why the Eagles drafted him. But I still don't agree with the pick. His team really was crappy so losing can't be pinned on him (not if someone is being fair), but I would rather they have gone with a winner like Cousins (or even in little league like Kellen Moore)as you suggested. Sounds like they drafted Foles based on size and toughness and it really was a train wreck at Arizona due to factors beyond his control.

5 reasons Foles WILL succeed.

Nick Foles: 5 Reasons Why NFL Draft Prospect Will Succeed in the Pros | Bleacher Report

NFL Combine 2012: 5 Quarterbacks with a Ton to Lose at the Combine | Bleacher Report

Arizona quarterback Nick Foles had a wildly successful statistical season on a bad Arizona team in 2011, passing for well over 4,000 yards, 28 touchdowns and earning All Pac-12 honorable mention honors.

He needs the right coaching to succeed. He is in the right place.

However, there is also this:

However, Foles struggled a bit with both his accuracy and footwork at last month's Senior Bowl, and a poor showing in Indianapolis could cause the 6'5" 240-pound passer's already dented draft stock to become even more crumpled.

Unfortunately, by the time they picked 88th, Andrew luck and Robert Griffin weren't there. So they needed a quarterback and of the choices, most analysts feel he was the best remaining.

Regarding the other guys they drafted. Almost all of the analysts experts gave them good or great grades. High motors, aggressive, and very talented. The Eagles line is SOLID and should really cause other teams quarterbacks to have some issues. Let's see how they do aainst the Lions in that area, OK? I know the Lions have a couple of pretty good guys on their own defensive line. Do you think either Vick or Stafford will survive/ i guess it will come down to the guys n the other end. I'm very confident in the Eagles Offensive line. They may have a couple of buffoon coaches, but Howard Mudd isn't one of them.

OK, Orange finned danio, I've got to go talk to my fantasy baseball team and try to boost their morale. Rascoe is taking advantage of the fact that I've been distracted by the NFL draft.