Eagles Philadelphia Eagles Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jul 25, 2010.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Seriously. How could you play Kolb over Vick with the escape talent Vick offers? Not to mention, Vick has thrown some nice passes the last couple weeks.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I'd start Kolb...
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

What's up with the salaries in the NFL? I stumbled upon these numbers and it seems like the more you spend, the crappier the team. Raiders, Browns and Jags as big spenders and Patriots, Colts and Packers in the bottom. Maybe time for the league to implement a salary floor? How fun would it be knowing before the season Ravens - Chiefs is gonna meet in the SB just because they cut their budgets to below $50M?

NFL Salaries 2010 – 2009, NFL Salaries Cap, NFL Salaries By Position, Team.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've read at least a half dozen articles on this, but I posted this one because of this quote: "Michael Vick is the better quarterback now, was the better quarterback before he was pinched and jailed in connection with dogfighting, will be a better quarterback next year and will be the better quarterback Sunday in Jacksonville, where the Eagles will attempt to hold a share of first place in the NFC East". McCaffery: Read Andy Reid's lips: This thing here it's my call - delcotimes.com The mouthpiece of the Eagles is the biggest homer in the world, seriously, and I can't stand the spin he puts on everything. He supports everything the team does. Just a couple days ago he was babbling how Kolb was the man and the Eagles are making the right decision to keep him #1. Now this: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=21948&spadaro=1 I cannot stand this guy. Any way the wind blows. (Don't go there, Darth). Anyhow, I am thrilled Vick is starting. He EARNED the opportunity and it was the only call the Eagles could make. Now, the sky is the limit for the Eagles this year. I am very encouraged and I think the Eagles will do well this year. Reid talking about how Kolb will one day be a great quarterback...blah blah blah...he never says for the Eagles. I think they are grooming the NFL to make offers. Not yet, but if Vick keeps up the great play, Kolb is gone. Somewhere Donoven McNabb is rolling on the floor laughing his butt off. Oh, for those of you that say he is on the decline...did you see him pass for well over 400 yards last Sunday???? I'm just sayin'... GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Darth Tater

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have long forgiven Vick about the dog issue and felt that he took jail time for all other players and non players (no bodies) who have done either the same or similar thing or who have gotten away with even worse.

I would not had an issue at all if the Lions had signed him.

Still not sure what the big deal is why some are questioning him as the starter and why it is making so much national news. he looked good out there and you go with him until he looks bad.

IF the Lions had come all the way back and beaten the Eagles on Sunday, would Vick get all of the attention or Shaun whats-his-name??

In fact if the Lions and Shaun beat the Vikes this weekend and Stafford comes back and loses the next two games convincingly do we have a QB controversy if Schwartz goes with Shaun instead or Stafford in game 6?? Should this be in the Lions thread??:sssh: Will the media outside Detroit care??
  7. Darth Tater

If Vick had committed sexual misconduct or beat his wife, that would probably be forgiven a lot quicker by the public. I'm not minimizing what he did. It was terrible and he paid for it. I totally agree that others get away with that kind of stuff and worse. Believe me, it is minor compared to what some of the people I deal with get away with. Again, I am in no way trying to minimize or excuse his wrongful past actions.

I dunno what would have happened if the Lions had won...but I'm sure glad they didn't. :stirthepot::MusicBigGrin:

Nah, this post is good right where it is.
  8. LA Dre

Just saw on the ESPN ticker that the Eagles are receiving calls-offers about Kolb....
  9. Darth Tater

Coach Andy Reid has said Kolb is staying right there and he will not entertain offers for him. But he said that about McNabb and Kolb as the #1 quarterback but we know what happened.

He says Kolb will make a great NFL quarterback. But he doesn't mention the Eagles when saying that.

I don't know what you do with Kolb. I like him on the bench but that probably doesn't last long.If you are talking about getting a really good offensive lineman or two...how can you say "No" to that? I'd take an offensive lineman and a high pick in the draft, I guess. If Vick gets protection then the sky is the limit and we are talking deep playoff run. Our O-line is pretty crappy. It was the one area not addressed in the draft.

I don't know what you do with Kolb. The only backup is Mike Kafka who was a 5th rounder out of Northwestern last draft. He just isn't ready yet although he shows potential.. If Vick goes down I think they would be stuck with signing Jeff Garcia. (Yuck).

Part of the problem with Kolb was that he isn't mobile and the crap offensive line left him out there to get smushed. That's why Vick is perfect.

Vick, with Philly's great offensive talent, will be lethal to opposing teams, I think. But he's gotta get some protection. Some people forget how great Vick was before his problems. Now that he has learned to keep his eyes downfied when he runs...Wow. Look out folks.
  10. Darth Tater

Here it is, Dre.

After the Eagles named Michael Vick their starting quarterback for Week 3, the team received "numerous" calls about the availability of QB Kevin Kolb, according to ESPN.
    Both ESPN and WIP in Philadelphia report the Browns looked into whether Kolb could be had. Browns general manager Tom Heckert previously worked as the Eagles' GM.
    When asked whether Kolb would be with the Eagles after the NFL trade deadline on Oct. 19, Eagles coach Andy Reid said, "We'll just have to see," according to the Philadelphia Daily News.
    The Browns have started Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace at quarterback in the team's first two games this season, going 0-2.

Reports: Browns called Eagles about Kolb - NFL - Sporting News
  11. Nemo

Well, with Kolb..."sit happens". I still woulda started him. Vick played against Detroit, but that was still the Detroit defense which he played well against. Start Kolb this Sunday and let him play himself out of the starting position. If Vick does well, I can see the Eagles trading him away this season.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If nothing else, Vick is alot more entertaining to watch imo.
  13. LA Dre

Well I never really followed the Darth Tater Eagles, so I have posted more comments about them this week than any other team other than the Lions.... so here I hope maybe my final thoughts on the subject....

Sal Palintonio made comment on ESPN today that "the Eagles are putting their hopes in a QB who beat the Lions this past weekend....a team that has won just two of its last 35 games".....Was the dig at Vick or the Lions????

Also some media folk out here stated that because the Phillies will be possibly dominating the Philly headlines the next month with probable world series matchup vs the Yanks, that the eagles brass forced Reid to start Vick now to keep some local focus the football team before all was lost....
  14. Darth Tater

See above.
  15. Darth Tater

"Ironic how then, McNabb was Vick's biggest advocate in bringing him to the Eagles. By all accounts, they'll square off in two weeks when Philadelphia plays Washington."

"And here's the kicker to all this: Vick is a free agent after the season. If Vick plays well and gets the Eagles to the playoffs, there will be a lot of teams willing to pay him some of the millions he lost during his time behind bars. Philadelphia might have to pony up or end up facing him.
    With Kolb as their quarterback."

I love my Eagles!!:drama: :pound:

NFL.com news: Vick must capitalize on starting job for Eagles, himself
  16. Nemo

I view Vick as a middle of the pack type of QB. Most of those guys will have career days against the Lions...:)
  17. Darth Tater

I'm gonna say it again, Mr. Limpet. The Lions are NOT the old Lions. You may be right about Vick, but I think you are wrong.

I'm excited about this and I think he will be great this year, but you are right. We've got to let the season unfold some more before we come to a conclusion.

Either way, at least for now, he has shown a lot more than Kolb.
  18. Nemo

Our defense is ranked 30th out of 32 teams...Seems like the same old defense.
    Still giving up the big play.......
    Our offense is ranked 20th out of 32 teams...An improvement, but this side of the ball is where we are making strides.

Kolb only played one-half of football before he went out injured. I cannot judge him based on that. Actually, the only way I can judge him right now is based on the contract that the Eagles gave him. They must have had confidence in him to sign him for that much. I, like you though am interested to see how Vick does this season. If he fares well, then he'll stay and the team will trade Kolb.
  19. Darth Tater

Well, what a guy does in practice and as a backup with no pressure is one thing. What he does in the games as a number one under the scrutiny of the infamous Philly fans is another.

Kolb has potential, but this year was for making mistakes. I think with Vick they believe that the Super Bowl is possible this year. I'm all for winning now. Go for it.

I'm still ticked they traded McNabb.
  20. Nemo

Your attitude as an Eagles fan is commendable. They could make waves this season if Vick provides the appropriate leadership on the field that the offense needs.

I thought it was time for McNabb to go. Kinda like it was time for Favre to leave Green Bay. I understand your feelings though, as I've been miserable with the Pistons since CB was dealt away... :mad: :swear2: