1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Eagles Philadelphia Eagles Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah. Guilty as charged. I've got a man-crush on McNabb.

I've got his jersey. I've also got his bobble head, and one of those cool marble looking plaques with a picture of him throwing the ball and also a football card and Eagles plaque is attached. Like this...but not exactly...mine is a little cooler...

I know. I need help...:loco: (Speaking of loco...has anyone seen Rascoe lately)?

[​IMG]

2. Darth Tater

"
    Obviously, elevating Vick to a permanent starting role indicates that the Eagles are in "win now" mode, and that the development of Kevin Kolb, once the assumed franchise quarterback, can take a backseat on the road to Dallas. How committed the Eagles are to Vick beyond this season though remains to be seen. Andy Reid has understandably stated that he wants Kolb to remain a part of the team, but it's hard to see the organization paying him over $12 million to be a backup. So, now you have the Eagles once again embroiled in a two starting-caliber quarterbacks controversy. In order for this to be resolved, either Kolb will be traded, or Vick will be allowed to seek new opportunities after the season ends and Kolb will resume his starting role. (Of course, knowing this organization, they'll probably go for a third, completely off-the-charts option, but that's a discussion for another time.)
    [​IMG]
    As our friend anuj indicated earlier today, several teams have already reportedly contacted the Eagles and expressed interest in trading for Kolb. There certainly are enough franchises out there that could use a decent (if inexperienced) starting QB, or at least a developmental prospect for next year. The Bills, Browns, Cardinals, Jaguars and Seahawks are teams that immediately spring to mind. So, will a team offer a convincing enough package for Andy Reid to part with Kolb? When asked if anything would happen before the October 19th trade deadline, our head coach was as noncommittal as ever:
    "Listen, I can't predict anything down that far, nobody in this league can do that."
    The key indicator here will be Michael Vick's contract. If the Eagles opt to extend it after a good performance against the Jaguars this Sunday (or in the next few weeks after that), chances are that Kevin Kolb could be sporting another uniform before the season is over."

Talking Kolb, Vick, the Trade Deadline and Contract Extensions - Bleeding Green Nation

3. Darth Tater

Great theory, IMO.

Reid's move to Vick in best interest of all, including Kolb - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

"The startling decision to sit down Kolb one day after Reid named him his starter guarantees that the target critics were readying for Kolb's jersey goes on the chest of Reid instead -- with the entire city of Philadelphia waiting to pounce. If the move backfires and the Eagles flounder, it is Andy Reid -- not Kolb -- who takes the heat ... and tell me that's not how Reid wants it.
    Heck, he has coached pro football in Philadelphia for 12 seasons, so he knows about handling pressure, is inured to criticism and is an expert at surviving controversy. But I'm not so sure about a quarterback with three pro starts. What I do know is that Kolb's detractors were ready to shred the poor guy when and if he struggled after returning from a concussion, with the results compared to those of Michael Vick in his first two appearances.
    Trust me, the call for Vick would have come with Kolb's first interception and/or first loss..."

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The Philly O-line wasn't effective so far, so it made sense to put a scrambler back there. Looks like Vick may take advantage of the situation....

The Jaguars defense is ranked 29th...right ahead of the Lions.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't forget that we're missing our 1st AND 2nd string MLBs, our #2 CB has a cast on his hand and both of our starting safties have been playing through injuries.

Not to mention the fact that our starting QB and #2 WR are out and our first round pick TE & last year's starting RB are just coming back from major knee injuries.

We're getting better. I think it will take 1 more offseason before we'll legitimately contend for an 8-8 season and then another offseason before we can contend for a playoff spot.

Considering that Matt Millen COMPLETELY decimated the team's talent, I think Mayhew and Schwartz have done a pretty good job in a short amount of time.

Of the 62 players that Matt Millen drafted from 2001 to 2008, there are only TWELVE left on the team. At least 50% of them (probably even higher, but I didn't count) aren't even in the league anymore. Only THREE of his 9 first round picks are still here. FIVE top 10 overall first round picks are no longer here.

6. Darth Tater

Jacksonville today. This is a road game we should win because the Jaguars aren't that good...but you never know.

I hope the Cowgirls lose to favored Houston. I hope the Lions beat Favre.

Go Eagles!

Go Eagles!

Go Eagles!

7. Darth Tater

How awesome is Michael Vick???????????

End of 3rd quarter.

Eagles up 28-3.

Vick with 3 passing touchdowns and he ran one in!!!

I'm loving it.:smiley_hug:

8. jammertime

[SARCASM]I'm thrilled for you[/SARCASM].

9. Nemo

[SARCASM]
    I like it when Darth's teams do well.
    [/SARCASM]

10. Darth Tater

[SARCASM]I would call you guys haters but Rascoe would send me another one of THOSE letters. And the last thing I would want to do is upset our beloved Rascoe.[/SARCASM]

You guys are all finks.

11. Darth Tater

12. jammertime

13. Darth Tater

[​IMG]

14. jammertime

$1.39? I get mine for free from the Lions. The best time to pick them is between weeks 1-16 of the regular season.

The nice thing about them is that if you let them sit for a few months, they make excellent Kool Aid right around Draft time.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jammer, I think you need a Lions ball cap:

[​IMG]

16. Darth Tater

Ouchie oowie.

Bill, that was uncalled for. I'm getting sick and tired of repeating myself, but Rascoe is constantly [STRIKE]preaching, beeching, nagging, and whining [/STRIKE] reminding us that this is a friendly forum.

You need to remember that Jammer does not have the mental capacity to fight back. So please use little words when speaking to Jammer and no insults. I think maybe you hurt his feelings and owe him an apology...

17. Darth Tater

In fact, Bill, if I was Rascoe [STRIKE]I would shoot myself[/STRIKE] I would make an example out of you and kick you off the forum. The more I think of how you treated Jammer, the more I [STRIKE]laugh[/STRIKE] get upset.

18. Darth Tater

A very exciting time to be an Eagles fan. The whole quarterback controversy, sense of the unknown. But best of all...Vick is kicking butt and taking no prisoners (No pun intended).

But it is a long season. We will see what happens. But can you imagine if the Eagles made it to the Super Bowl...in DALLAS!! Dallas owner Jerry Jones would be enraged. The Eagles and Cowboys are enemies. It is listed as one of the ten greatest rivalries in the NFL.

The Cowboys despise us. I think even more than they hate the Redskins, but the feeling is mutual. We hate Dallas as much as they hate us.

Speaking of the Redskins, recently traded Donovan McNabb is coming to town this week. Wow. The hype is huge.

Me? I'm rooting for the Eagles ALL the way. No question about it. The game means a lot to both teams. Will the fans boo or applaud? Nobody knows, but I really think for once, Philadelphia fans will do the right thing and give him huge applause when he enters the game. (But once it starts he is the enemy like any other opponent.

So as an aside...who is the Lions greatest rival? I hated the Vikings most, but that is because they used to kick the Lions butts every single time in the 70's. Bud Grant (their coach) seemed like the meanest man alive.

But are the Packers or Bears even more hated? Does anyone know? Any opinions?

19. Nemo

First off, you need to change your avatar. Still says that you would take Donovan McMuffin over the team. I was sad to see him lose Sunday in his game.

The Lions haven't had any competitive rivalries since the Packers of the 1990s. During the 70s, the fans considered the Vikings a natural rivalry because for about 5 years, both teans were considered amongst the best. Even the Cleveland Browns were a rivalry back in the 50s when both teams won multiple championships.

My personal favorite rivalry is the Chicago Bears. No matter how poorly they're playing, they get up for divisional teams. The only two teams banned against playing in the preseason according to league mandate is the Bears -vs- the Lions. Thats how vicious the rivalry used to be. Think about it...teams play games against others who are geographically close during the preseason. Keeps costs down, and allows for some preseason consistency. Naturally, for awhile, we played against the Bears...until that fateful day.

20. Darth Tater

@ nemo, yeah, I would have guessed the Bears push come to shove.

Very good advice on the avatar. I will change it later.

I'm lost. What fateful day? :tinfoil3: