Phoenix March 24 7:30PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 24, 2008.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

IX- could you explain it?
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Officiating has been pretty inconsistent both ways. Just Pistons got calls at the end, when it was really standing out.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh sorry. I didn't realize I used that abbreviation. IX is an abbreviation for Phoenix that is often used. I think it might have originated with their airport abbreviation, but anyway sometimes schedules and ESPN and even NBA use it instead of writing out PHX. So yeah that's it.
  4. MisterZ

MisterZ First Round Draft Pick

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but anyone notice how we seemingly play better without Rip in the lineup?
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Good game. Something I noticed... Rodney was lighting it up late in the third and early in the fourth. After the starters came back in around the 7 minute mark, he didn't get a single shot for the final 12 minutes of the game. I think there's a bit too much seniority going on with this team, and that is also the reason Stuckey passed up the final shot of regulation. When Rip is in the lineup it is even worse in that regard. I guess this won't chance anytime soon, but I think it hurts the team overall. They just become too predictable with bench players on the floor. You know they aren't going to get shots, so teams can pay more attention to the starters.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Yea, although i don't it's so much the lack of Rip as it is the addition of AA. In alot of games Rip either a/ plays way too much, b/ decides he's playing all by himself, or c/ decides he's not going to play defense.

Ideally, if we could cut Rip's min to about 30 or so and up AA/Stuckey's that would be great. I remember when he realized he would be playing less, he tried to focus on being more efficient and going hard while he was out there. Playing AA more maximizes our chances of getting "good Rip".

Also, I guess it just goes to show how much defense has an impact on the game. AA from what i read shut down Nash for most of the 1st half.

Sometimes i think we have too many scorers in the starting line-up, and not enough coming off the bench. The best option to mix it up is move Dyess to the bench but that's not going to happen esp this late in the season. We don't really have an energy/hustle guy in the starting line-up hence the slow starts.
  7. max

max All-Star

Amazing 4th quarter/OT play by Billups and Sheed. When those 2 are on their games the Pistons are the best team in the league. Thats the kind of stuff thats going to determine the Pistons fate in the post-season. They will live and die based on the starters. They are the money players not Afflalo and Amir.

On that note. Ratliff and Stucky are the guys we need to start watching off the bench. Ratliff seems to get better every game as he gets more used to the other players and Stucky was simply brilliant in this game. Pretty good time for you Starting and backup points to have great games when Nash comes into town. I like how Stucky was trying to push the tempo, I think that surprised the Suns a bit.

On the calls? If you look at the replays every PHX foul was a good call. I thought they got some cheepies like when Nash was went to the line when he was clearly trying to pass the ball and not shoot. At any rate, its a good sign when the other team is complaining about the calls because it shows the Pistons are getting a fair whistle.

Nice to see Hunter back. He had a good game and no I am not worried a single bit about him taking Stucky's spot, just not going to happen.

On Rip out? if Billups could score 32 points every game or Prince could step up for 20+ and Stucky could shoot 6-12 on a gamely basis along with one of the above then no we don't need Rip. Remember Rip still is our best shooter. You can win 1 or a couple of these kind of games without you leading scorer but it would be noticed over time. And Rip is an excellent defender.
  8. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

We won this game in Overtime, so we give credit to the absence of Rip. What if we lost that game in overtime? we would blame it to the absence of Rip. I like the fact that AA played but no, we cannot survive without Rip.
  9. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

It's on the video highlights at ESPN.com right now. Sheed is also talking to Amare while he makes the sign and the SportsCenter guy reads his lips for us...:pound:
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I started to make a thread entitled; 'We can`t survive in the playoffs without an agressive Billups" and scratch the agressive Tay thread.

Let me be clear, if CB could be that agressive every game, it makes almost anyone else on the floor with him better. Did anyone notice he was 15 out of 16 from the FT line?

I have been saying for a long time that CB should go to the FT line at least 8-9 times a game - he should be in the top 5 in FT att per game.

When Chauncey is attacking the basket instead of launching 3`s it opens up things for everyone else on the court with him.

Why is it when a starter is out we see another starter do things that perhaps they should be doing when all the starters are playing?
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How good is Amare Staudemire's free throw form for a big man? He's up there with Yao Ming. It makes him incredibly dangerous because fouling him does no good whatsoever.
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Amare's FT shooting really is impressive. He started out in the low 60s his rookie year, I think, but he's up to around 80% in the last couple of years. And he's basically Larry Bird against the Pistons; I think he was 26-28 in the two games against Detroit this year. I also saw that when they beat Houston the other day, he was 20-20!!
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's really good form too. I'm curious to know who was his shooting coach. Steve Nash maybe?
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Exactly. Let's remember that one of the main bench concerns in the last few years has been the lack of an adequate backup for CB. Stuckey's come along pretty nicely, although he still has to be considered a wildcard for how well he'll do in big playoff games (not that I think he'll sit, or that I would advocate sitting him; just pointing out that we don't know how he'll react to the big situations). But CB's minutes have been down because of that, so the pressure on CB to come up big in the playoffs will be even bigger this time around, IMO.

Whether AA and/or Amir get to try to contribute depends largely on Flip, but the simple fact is that the support that CB has been lacking (a decent backup to reduce his minutes) has been (a) provided by Joe AND (b) properly integrated into the rotation by Flip. The rest is all on Smooth.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey has been a really nice story so far. Flip has been incredibly consistent with his minutes. Stuck started off a little rough, but had flashes of brilliance. Since then, he seems to have grown a lot more comfortable handling the ball, he's mixing up the jump shots and the drives more, and he has figured out how to play active defense without picking up touchy fouls.

That's how you develop a rook.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Watching Double A play last nite just reaffirms my beleif that he should be seeing some prime time. Him playing 5-10 minutes in each half and giving a different look as a defender can only help us. Besides the rest that Rip would get to be fresh for the stretch; he brings a different mentality to the team while he is on the floor. He is IMO the new and improved LH. He is quick but also stronger then Lins so he can play the bigger player. He needs to be used in the play offs to be a defensive stopper or at least as a different look to the opposition.
  17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

When Rip is on the floor; CB's job is to get him the ball in places to shoot. He is the leading scorer because of that. Rip spends the game criss crossing the lane off of double screens. We do not spread the floor on offense like some other teams. There aren't driving lanes for the guards unless a play breaks down and everyone breaks to the three point line looking for a shot.

Last nite we spread the floor a little more and it oopened up the driving lanes. Double A and Stuck don't have the ability to come off the screens and shoot like Rip so we were initiating the offense from the sides and working the ball inside out for the most part. When Rip plays; our offense changes.

Not saying that is a bad thing; it just does.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. AA is like Lindsey... with benefits.
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I didn't watch this game because I'm swamped with work, but I did see the highlights, and I have three observations:

1. Nash's "block" on Billups was definitely a hometown call. Mr. Magoo and Stevie Wonder combined could have figured out that was a charge on C-Note. But we'll take it.

2. Why can't PHX be in the Eastern Conference? Detroit can beat them (and lose to the freakin' Wizards)

3. Stuck froze up. He should have taken that last shot in regulation. Not Tay.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I do not share others excitement over this win. This was an entertaining game to watch, but seemed to highlight the "new" Pistons’ way.

When DET went up 8 in the 4th I wondered how long it would take them to give the lead back? Not long at all it turns out. Ditto when they went up 5 later in the 4th.

Phoenix has zero athleticism at the guard/wing positions, yet they abused DET all night long on screen/rolls. It is hard to figure out what they're even trying to do when they defend it. The screen gets set and they have a big show (as well as the player getting screened quitting). The screener then rolls which leads to DET's 2nd big rotating towards him. That was leaving either Amare or Shaq alone under the hoop. Amazingly, that appeared to be their strategy.

Their offense is equally perplexing. To call a play out of a timeout that ends with CB, Sheed and Tay standing within 1 foot of each other is a stroke of genius. If you could place bets on things like DET will shoot a contested, hurried jumper out of a timeout, then I would be retiring.

I can't put it into words what it is like watching them try to feed the post. I don't know of another team that takes 10-15 seconds to do this.

This is a team DET should dominate.

It must have killed Flip playing CB those minutes.

AA needs experience. DET was lucky to win with him moving his feet and staying in front of his man on D. Given some time, I’m sure he can learn to swing wildly and reach in for and 1’s.