PHX Suns Feb. 8th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

PHX Suns Feb. 8th, 8:00 PM
    TV - ESPN
    Radio WDFN 1130

Another Sunday game, the back end of a back to back and televised by our friends at ESPN. Looks like both former Piston assistants are clueless with their own teams this year.

In other words, who knows what will happen in this game!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice and late. Good. It's 4 AM and I am still up. :ohwell:
  3. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wonder if the Suns would rest Shaq in this game which is quite routine for them now and play pick and roll all game on us. Nash and Amare would probably kill us playing this strategy after what the Bucks has done to us. In addition, our 'old big man' played played 40+ and 35+ minutes respectively less than 24 hrs ago.

Stuck need to come up big in this game and attack Nash all nite long as he is the only starter other than AJ to play less than 30 minutes. So he should be the one with the fresh legs out there.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it's refreshing and comforting to see that Mike Curry is not the only one struggling in his rookie coaching season with an otherwise talented team (see Terry Porter and the Suns). It makes me think, hey maybe it's normal for a new coach to need some time to figure himself out. It's not fun for the fans, but it's definitely interesting.

In other words, DON'T PANIC!
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

With any luck DET will make it easy on them selves tonight and continue to play without any semblance of a system offensively or defensively and look like they just met 5 minutes before tip off.

I know they played last night, but I'm going to be disappointed if I don't see a 24 second violation in one of their first few possessions. Scope out the D with the guards and Tay, dribble and get nowhere, burn the clock and get it to Amir around the elbow with 3 seconds or less left and they'll be good.

Defensively they just got to keep doing what they've been doing which is play like they don't know all the rules or are aware of even basic basketball principles.

Keep it simple, stick to the basics, fall behind big early, give away leads, get put in disadvantageous situations defensively over and over and lets show the nation what Detroit Pistons basketball is all about.
  6. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Terry Porter actually isn't a rookie coach...he coached the Bucks a few years back...he didn't do too great with them either
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep, he coached the Bucs for 03-04 and 04-05 seasons. The Pistons beat Porter and his Bucs in the first round of the 04 playoffs as the first step to their title.:smoke06:
  8. roscoe36

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Unreal. Could this team be any softer? Getting outrebounded by a small Phoenix team AND gave up nearly 40 points in the paint in first half, it was a virtual layup drill out there... those are video game type numbers. Meanwhile, everything the Pistons take is a jumper, despite Phoenix being arguably the worst defensive team in the league.

This team makes me sick.... they bail the Suns out by just shooting jumpers. Stuckey should attack Nash EVERY SINGLE TIME DOWN THE FLOOR. There's no way Nash can stay in front of him, but he's been way too damn passive. DEMAND THE FRIGGEN BALL!!

Someone should also inform me when Kwame suddenly became an offensive threat, because I lost count on how many pick and rolls they ran with him... utter stupidity!

The defense? ... no comment.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In the paint:
    Amar'e- 4-6
    G. Hill- 4-4
    Shaq- 5-10
    Nash- 2-2
    J Rich- 3-6
    Barbosa- 2-2
    TOTAL- 20-30, 40 points. +they got fouled many times in the paint.

Sheed- 2-3
    Tay- 1-1
    Brown- 1-1
    Stuck- 1-1
    Iverson- 0-3
    Rip City- 1-2
    Dyess- 0-1
    Maxiell- 0-1
    TOTAL- 6-13, 12 points.

This is sort of a problem both ways.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Keep sitting Amir Curry.

You know your offense is bad when you can't score against PHX LOL. I'm looking forward to our Sheed/Dyess line-up in the 4th quarter if we make it there.

AI needs to play better. How else can we trade him to PHX?
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Man I didn't realize what great interior defense the Suns have.... I'm sure those "blocks" were all clean.... give me a break. Stuckey can't buy a damn call going to the basket these days..
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You're not going to win against the Suns when you let Steve Nash do whatever he wants. It's essentially the same as Rondo.

Until our defense on the perimeter gets better we will continue to look like this unless we have bigs that can erase alot of the mistakes.

edited to add; Did Curry just hit his head? I think i see Amir.

And now we have small ball. Looks like Curry is fine.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Small ball against Shaq. I have seen it all.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

It's pretty pathetic because I've seen a lot of Suns games this year.... I know Nash is not even close to the same player he was under D'Antoni. Yet he looks better than ever against our soft pansy defense..

Honestly what's more painful to watch... this teams inability to execute on offense or inability to stop anybody on defense?
  16. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

I think curry is finished. He is running out of ideas, doesnt know what to do anymore.HE IS Lost, he is clueless.

All his descisions now, are "try and error" :gaah:.
  17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Not a fun game. Small ball, when you're up against a 300 pound 7 footer like Shaq? Really? That's the best way to get your entire frontcourt beat up. Some of those guys are gonna be sore for a while. Pathetic. And I thought the "Kwame experiment" is over? Curry's grasping at straws. And not being capable of stopping anyone on the perimeter like this sucks.
  18. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Both teams suck. Close game because both teams are not good....terrible defense. Stuckey, Affalo, Max and Amir have regressed under Coach Clueless. Stuckey under Billups would have fared much better. Joe took a gamble and lost. I do not blame AI because he is what he is. I blame Joe and Coach Clueless.
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The second definitely.

I posted something on another board that's a little OT, but kinda relevant in a way to our defensive problems.
    The only way solution at this point is if AA gets a bulk of minutes. I just don't see us improving as is to a level that's good enough to beat good (OK) teams at this point in the season. And once you let someone get hot, stopping them is much tougher.

I know people love AI, but seriously if you're still shooting an awful % in a game that's your style of play, and you're having a negative effect on defense, how do you justify those minutes as a coach or a fan?
  20. roscoe36