Picture this...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Apr 23, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Even that scenario would be better than present.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

That was the set up deal to get Joe to bite on AI for Billups. I know cause I saw Coach Karl celebrating after the deal...

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I thought Joe tried for Melo and it didn't work? AI was the second option. He wanted to do something so he rushed into the CB for AI deal instead of showing his usual patience and waiting for the right deal to come along.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, that was the rumor. Joe asked for Melo and Den countered by offering AI. Joe said no the yes and here we are.

I would have done CB/Dyess or whoever out of the Amir/Max crappot for Melo.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What good is Melo without CB? They are like Robin and Batman.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah Mello could have crashed and burned at the Palace just like AI, but alas, I probably would have taken Melo too over AI...Who knew that Tay was going to burn out by x-mas??

Even a CB for Nene and JR Smith would have worked out better as we would have had the big man in the middle that we have sorely missed since Laimbeer left.......and then Dice and JR coming off the bench for scoring ops. Stuckey may have been more relaxed and would have developed more instead worrying about when to feed AI or watch him in awe.

Max, Kwame Amir, Alf< Fabio and Bynum as our really deep bench. Of course Amir and Max would have gotten less minutes, but at this point, more didn't translate to anything significant for either as it relates to development. Sharpe would have got the same PT he had this year anyway, but possibly more garbage time opportunities..

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Heya Det,

I was catching up from being away for a few days and I wanted to respond to your post.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't ever an issue of swapping Tay directly for Carmelo. If it was, I think it's obvious that most people would pull the trigger on that one. (although - I'd probably think about it a lot longer than you would. :))

Tay AND CB for Mello???
    NO WAY would I have made that trade.

Having a jackass like Carmelo Anthony on a team without either of the 2 calming influences of Tay and/or CB would be a freaking nightmare. You really think Carmelo is gonna be a solid citizen for a rookie coach like Mike Curry? Who would keep him in check? Rip? too busy grieving. Sheed? - yeah right. Dyess? - too quiet.

The Allen Iverson trade was a disaster this season. A Carmelo Anthony trade would have been catastrophic. At least with AI, we got his expiring $$$. With Melo, we would have nothing.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Carmello Anthony will NEVER win an NBA championship unless it's as a role-player late in his career.

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Anybody coming in last season had to be willing to play 38 minutes and get 6-8 shot attempts. On a good night. And be willing to watch Rip run around twelve screens.

AI wouldn't do it, Melo wouldn't do it. No top player would have done it. Scratch out AI and inset player of your choice - nothing would have changed.

11. BallDon'tLie

I like Rip and have enjoyed watching him as a Piston. His relentless running and mid-range game makes him a unique talent. I've grown tired of it though. Too much has to happen within the offense for Rip to be an effective scorer.

It's time to move on and trade Richard Hamiilton.

It's not so much that I want to get rid of Rip. It's just that I want the Pistons to get rid of an offense where the SG has to run through six screens while the ball stays at the top for 10 seconds before getting a 15 foot jumper.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep.

:)

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It is probably true that the Pistons are the only team in the L that needs to run countless plays to get their main scorer shots. Most teams have their scorers creating shots for the other players on the floor.

That's why I find it kind of funny when people say the Pistons don't post up more. If they ran a post offense what would that do to Rip? It is hard to be screening and posting up simultaneously.

I think Rip could be effective if paired with a 3 who can take people 1 on 1 where you could run Rip off of weak side screens like the C's use Ray Allen.

14. BallDon'tLie

Are you trying to tell me that Tay can't take guys 1 on 1?

You sir, are a hater! (I realize that's your line but I just couldn't resist.)

Tay spends more actual minutes per game taking his guy 1 on 1 than any other player in the league (if you add up the cumulative time he spends backing his defender down from the 3-point line).

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

He also spends a fairly significant amount of time whining to the refs and squeezing Bronnie's bulging mus-kels.:sssh:

It's amazing that he can find time to guard anyone with all of those extra tasks to manage. ;)