Piston Front Line without Tayshaun

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lazyberbs, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

Under Carlisle, Prince didn't play until every other option was exhausted. Under Brown, Prince started. I would imagine Tayshaun likes LB better than watching Michael Curry's ass crawl up and down the court.

I think blowing up your salary cap would be a worse choice then letting Prince go especially when this team did pretty well while Prince played poorly in the last half of the playoffs.

While Sheed could play some offensive 3 and perhaps Evans or Delfino could also take up minutes there both offensively and defensively (if Delfino actually plays defense), losing Prince means going from a situation where our defensive 3 spot is so solid that we throw the SF at better 2s when his defense is not needed at the 3, to trying to platoon guys at the spot based on defensive match-ups.

Rasheed cannot play defensive 3 against any quick SFs and even trying to put him there means that he can't be playing defensive 4 or 5 (and we all know the Pistons like to put Sheed on the better offensive weapon of those 2 spots and let Ben rebound and play help-D).

How would a 3 big line-up work against contending teams?
    Indy - Sheed might be able to gaurd Artest who produces a lot based on out muscling his opposing 3 but that takes Sheed off O'neal who he plays better than most.
    Mia - I would imagine McDyess could guard Walker letting Sheed take his minutes on Shaq.
    Spurs- anyone can cover Bowen out at the corner, its just a matter of if they stay on him out there when the quards cut or not. Leaving Sheed to guard Duncan where he should be.

2. G-man

G-man Starter

KGreg-"They're probably arguing over the sixth year, which Detroit has being Tay's home squad, that would push Tay's contract to be worth around $60 million."

Probably closer to the real story than anything else written. Tay isn't going anywhere, no matter how hard some guys want to see a frontline spot open for their pet player.

Nor do I personally see the DMC heavy in the 5 spot. Far more likely he floats in the 3/4. He's a face up shooter. Saunders is going to force mismatches on other teams from 15-18 out and open up some interior passing lanes for Big Ben to get more chimes.

Tay is only beginning to play his game. He's going to get locked down in the red, white and blue for a long time. You shouldn't pre-judge his current value based on what you might think are excessive contract demands on the part of his agent.

The value of his contract has to be looked at from the bigger picture. Long-term. The guy is an anomoly. I wouldn't be trying to slam a round peg into a square hole to make some subtle argument for another player getting his minutes.

Ben at the 3? Did I slip through the looking glass?
    Is a big rabbit serving tea? Off with your head.....

3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

On another team he may be an All- Star, but not on this team. We don't need anyone to be an All-Star. Well, Billups and Rip are gonna be upset when Darko gets voted in.

4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

We will get Jalen for Tay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay maybe not.

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

From the comments I heard Duffy and Tay seemed like they were starting to bad mouth the talks and wanted to look at other teams offers during the summer. When you make comments like: Well it is what is and that I will just play out my contract and see what is out there.
    It was no need for all that to be even have been said. Joe opperates in good faith. All Tay and his agent had to say was that we are a ways apart on a deal but I hope something can be worked out. No need for the negative commentary or to even go further. No one else has gotten in the media with there agent and made comments like that.

Tay seems to not remember that a lot of teams pasted on him and he was offered a starters position and was allowed to grow when he really struggled alot and was allowed to contribute whatever he could provide and he is not asked to be THE MAN on this Pistons team. I would like to see him in New York some where and see how long he lasts makiing 70 or 80 million during one of his 7 or 8 game spells where he can't score to save his life or passes up shots and hides on offense. How much you want to bet he gets ran out of there so fast his head would spin.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Guys this is just like the re-up for Sheed. It didn't happen on our (fans) schedule so automatically we felt as if Sheed was trying to go to NY or grind us for an unrealistic contract. If you recall Sheed was almost wrapped up until Cardinal, Memo and K-Mart signed those STUPID %%%%% deals and that's when agents get leverage on GM's. When it was all said and done we got Sheed for a modest price when you look at what K-mart makes (compared to what he actually produces) and Memo and Troy Murphy. I have confidence that this will get done and we'll see that it was all over a mill here an extra year there. My gut tells me that they have year 1 $$$$'s figured but Duffy wants a 6 year, not a 5 year deal for his client.

Rip is scheduled to make a little over $9mill in the 06/07 season when Tay's new contract would start, I think Tay should be getting somewhere around 7.5-8 mill that year.

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Tay was unhappy under RC, he was unhappy under LB. Even LB said he had to find new ways to get to Tay, because he wasnt responding to Larry's usual way of coaching.

Tay seems like a passive/aggressive guy. And even with Larry gone, I wouldnt be surprised if he was still simmering. Guys like Darko, Arroyo, and Delfino, who didnt keep their feelings to themselves last year, seem to have no problems moving on this year.

I dont think LB is causing the contract problems, but I do think he's one of several reasons Tay aint happy. If Tay was happy here, and really wanted to be in Detroit, this deal would have been done. Sheed got his deal done, so did CB and Rip.

8. G-man

G-man Starter

What have you done for me lately...

Ya'll ought to factor in he made 1mil last season, will make 1.7 this season and is scheduled to make 2.5 next season. Dogbones for a starter in this league. That's 5.2 in total for those 3 seasons.

He's got some coming.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

How's Tay's mom doing these days?? She OK, I mean you post everything like y'all talk a couple times a week. This is business, Tay has to get what he can when he can.....it's easy on the outside looking in to think a player should just leave $7-$8 mill on the table. But wait..... we are the same group of people that felt as if Jalen shouldn't excercise the last 2 years of his contract and forego abot $32 mill, so he could come home for the MLE, as a Backup SF and get a SHOT at a ring.

10. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

pay tay or he go away

but anything over 7 million a year is too much in my mind. i like him. but I don't think he is worth 10 mil a year. if no extension is signed we will trade him this year.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Maybe his new bride is high maintenance? ;)

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't wait to read the "ghost of Larry Brown" stories if we don't win a title this year.

What next? We lose games this season because the players want to show Joe how dissatisfied they were with Larry Brown? A key player got injured because he was trying to do something LB taught him? Or maybe he was overworking himself because LB was in his head, and now he is shelved with a serious injury.

This one is sure to be an instant classic. Joe makes a bad trade, and it was because of personnel advice LB gave him last year.

Heck, we've got at least a decade worth of excuses built up. If we work on this hard enough, I'm sure we can connect LB to the Kennedy assassination, famine in Africa and the mystery foul on Laimbeer in the '88 Finals.

This line of thinking is bordering on insanity.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Tay wants to be here, I've heard him say it many times. He said it on AM1130 in an interview with him I think after the day we beat the Bulls.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

lol. I remember first reading the comment on Brown being responsible for Princes contract stuff, and I just shook my head in disbelief. It is funny to see some of the stuff people blame him for, although rumor does have it that an unidentified catheter was found near the presidents limo in Texas on that fateful day in 1963.

15. roscoe36

Rumour has it that LB is a big movie buff, and secretly contracted the University of North Carolina's Technology Faculty to construct a brain draining device ala Edward Nigma in Batman Forever.

This season, whenever you see a turnover, it's because LB is sitting in Zeke's office with that crazy metal helmet on, sucking the neural energy directly out of Chauncey's cranium and plumbing it into Stephon Marbury.

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Whether you want to admit it or not, Larry's 2 years will have have lingering impressions on this team, some good, some bad. Just as with Carlisle. And as it will be for the next coach after Flip.

17. roscoe36

Yes but as a diehard Pistons fan, I am sure you will admit that Joe Dumars will be a fixture here much longer than LB and exerts greater control over this franchise than LB4LB does.

Or do you think LB > JD?

18. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Hope so

I appreciate it that you think highly of what every athlete says but an athlete saying he wants to play for his current employers and that he doesn't want to play for some other team and that money is not an issue could be gone next day saying that they just couldn't see eye to eye. There is this thing called saying all the right things....

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sorry 16, but I'm going to sound a little crass in this post....
    Dude are you like LB's illegit child, that he never claimed??? Just sent a check every now and then and never acknowledged your presence. X-mas after X-mas no LB, b-day after b-day....no LB. Highschool and college graduations......no LB. You got married....no LB, not even a frikkin congratulations card. Then you see him on TV with Shelly and LJ looking all happy and parental while you're screaming at the TV, "YOU WORTHLESS S.O.B.!!!!!, YOU LYING FAKER, YOU'RE NO FATHER!!!!!" Dude let it go, ask Cheryl Ford, you gotta move on.

20. GIE

GIE Second Round Draft Pick

:violin: