Piston Front Line without Tayshaun

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lazyberbs, Oct 16, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

KREG got jokes. lol. :laugh:

2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

The Larry Brown thread . . .

. . . . is 3 threads over and 17 down. We don't need him here. :frusty:

:eyebrows: Thanks!!

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lazy, thanks. :)

Seems like you and I can agree that the future is a lot more exciting than the past.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

But...but... a thread without Larry is like the Spring without the Fall. Errrrrr, no wait. That's Aunt Jemima Pancakes without the Syrup. Ok, a thread without Larry is like a needle without thread. Uhmm, No. Like this thread without a needle...no, that's not right either. Ok, I got it! A thread without Larry is like...hold on. Lemme go see if I can find one. Then I'll be back to tell you what it's like.

This may take a while. Any idea where I can find one? :noidea:

5. MotownPride

dry diaper thread.

oh, that was just wrong. :tape2:

well, he did leave us after all. ;)

6. elbows

elbows Second Round Draft Pick

Prince alternative @ 3

Who plays the 3 instead of Prince. That's a hard one. I'd go right now with Mo Evans. Against some teams Sheed could slide over and Darko come of the bench. I don't see Milicic ready to constantly guard 3's, He'd pick up a lot of "oops got there just a little too late" fouls.

The 5 million over 5 years sounds fair. I'd let him walk for more, hopefully working out a sign and trade.

7. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Tay's Contract

I agree with Micro's feelings earlier-Joe's offer has been more than fair. I would absolutely give him no more than $50m for five years, and $45m is probably closer to his actual value to the team.

Realistically, he can probably get more on the open market because it only takes one team crazy or desperate enough to make him a really significant offer.

I would like to keep him if possible, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. He's a good player, but not a franchise one.

8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Has Tay ever looked happy to be in Detroit?
    Has he ever expressed any desire to want to stay in Detroit?

If you answer no to both, then the question is why? I think its RC and LB. Why that seems to be such a big deal is beyond me. LB did cause problems. And some of those problems are still around. I think LB did sour Tay on being in Detroit, so what's wrong with posting that thought? Is it that absurd an idea?

I really believe Tay would feel happier with another team now, I dont think he's enjoyed being in the D. Which means, unless Detroit gives him some huge deal, he will try free agency. The only reason he wouldnt is if he wants to be in Detroit. Think about it, would you take 50 mil to be where you want to be, or 60 mil to be where you dont? I'd take the 50, what's the point of the extra 10 if you're not happy? I mean seriously what can you buy with 60 mil that you couldnt buy with 50?

9. Darth Tater

I'm not sure how we can answer whether Tay looks "happy" to be in Detroit. I mean, other than a guy like Hunter who is always smiling, I can't say too many guys "look happy" to be there. Ben is constantly scowling, yet I don't think he wants to leave. Prince is a reserved kind of guy. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Did he hate Brown? Maybe. Maybe he liked him. I have no clue. Brown did play him. That's more than Carlisle did for him. But the point is...BROWN IS GONE. What lingering effects? Things he taught them? Some writer wrote that the only ghost of brown in the gym was a small picture of his face in a team championship photo. Prince isn't ticked about winning the title is he??? You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but I see no logic at all in what you are saying. You need to back it up with something tangible or you are going to get this kind of response from people.

Would Tay be happier with another team? I have no idea. Maybe he wants to leave..maybe not. But if he does, it is NOT because of Larry Brown. If Brown was still coach then yeah, you would have an argument. Things are good now with Flip, right? So why leave???

10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Ok, lets forget I ever mentioned Brown. My question is does Tay even want to be in Detroit. For whatever reason, Tay never appeared, to me, happy in Detroit. Delfino had a horrible year hear last year, now he's talking about how he cant wait play this year, same with DMC. Ben, complained a lot last year, but you know Ben wants to be in the D. Same with Sheed, not that anyone could shut him up.

Bottom line, if Tay aint happy here, he's going to ask for a lot more money than if he was.

11. G-man

G-man Starter

12. Darth Tater

Yeah. If he isn't happy here it will cost more to keep him than if he likes it here. But I haven't seen any indication from him that he doesn't want to be here. It's also possible that he is satisfied here or that he really likes it, but he wants more money to satisfy his ego or whatever. That I just don't know. I would think ,however, if he wasn't happy in Detroit that he would have given some sort of sign in the past. Hard to say. He seems like a quiet guy, but there were no rumors of him being unhappy that I am aware of.

13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

G-man,
    Thanx, looking for someone to post something to prove me wrong that Tay doesnt want to leave, not bash me because I mentioned what's his name.

This quote from CB seems to explain Tay:
    "We never know what's going on with Tay," oint guard Chauncey Billups said. "He could have 30 points, and he's looking like he hasn't scored yet. He looks so frail and so timid...It's like a trap man. That's the last thing he is, timid or frail. he's like a secret--people sleep on him and he wakes them up fast."

Man, I hope we can resign him.

14. Darth Tater

15. MotownPride

16. dthrush

dthrush Second Round Draft Pick

tay

I think,bottom line,Tay is just doing what his agent is telling him to do.He's letting this guy get him the best possible deal with the Piston's and then will leave it up to Tay to sign now or wait to see what he's worth on the open market.We all know he could get more on the open market.Now we will see if he want's to be part of a great team or if he's all about the money.My bet is he stay's.I think the team concept that Joe D has built with this franchise will be deciding factor.Oh yea,Tay will still make a ton of money.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

16 Mile

Dude, I didn't know that you REALLY thought Tay was unhappy here. He's a laid back dude that you're not going to see jumping around with a Sheed-like smile on his face. Tay and Joe have said repeatedly that they are on the same page about Tay staying in Detroit. Tay has said he wants to stay a Piston for a long time to come and and that's also what the Pistons want. If Tay didn't really want to be a Piston there wouldn't even be any negotiating going on right know, they'd say something like, we're just going to wait and test the market, you know...what Joe Johnson told Phx last summer. Also what Ben told us THIS summer. Now if you want to worry, wonder why Ben wants to wait til next year, when he's an Unrestricted Free Agent, and why Joe is OK with that.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The Tayshaun Principle

Dear Mr. Prince,
    I would appreciate it if you would please stop f****** with my dynasty. I don't know if you got the memo but winning is not enough. A championship is not enough. We want to win that damn title every year until I die and maybe a few more afterwards for good measure. That means you have to shut your mouth and know your role. I don't care that you could lose out on more money I'd every see pass through my bank account, home loan, credit card debt and retirement all rolled into one convenient lump sum. You already make more money than I'll see pass through my bank account, home loan, credit card debt and retirement and that was as arguably the lowest paid starter in the NBA.

I know you have greatness written all over you. We helped tattoo it on your career with our tickets, Tv sets, #22 jerseys and prince bobblehead dolls. But if you hadn't noticed, Joe D has got greatness tattooed on him too. He's got back to back greatness. He's got GM greatness. God picked Joe D to be something special in this league. Just ask Grant Hill. Find Rodney White if you can. Ask the Grizzlies. You can roll with JD or you can get rolled on because if you make us start MO or saddle us with a cumbersome contract, I know theres still a whole mess of bobbleheads out there and I got a handfull of pins.

p.s.
    Have a great game.

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The last I heard is the Pistons are about 15th in payroll size. Pretty low for a 'ship team. I think JD has to ask Mr. D. for more cash. Tay is a class guy and probably worth the 6th year. Especially with BBen up next.

20. max

max All-Star

Still Time

Not much info on this except for some scraps. If what Rob Parker reported was true and both sides only differ by 5mil or 1mil/yr for the contract length then I cannot see that as a deal breaker. Someone will cave over the next 8 days.