1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Piston Trade Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 14, 2010.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It doesn't serve Joe any to broadcast his intentions to the fans. Hopefully, he is wheeling and dealing on the phone with the other GM's. There is something to be said about not revealing your hand until you have to.

Suppose Joe is trying to deal Rip or Tay right now. Do you want him to publicly announce it? That will go over well in the lockerroom.

2. Brap

Brap Starter

The way JJ has been playing and the way Daye has been coming along, and the fact that once we get healthy we'll need to find room for 4 guards all of whom should be getting minutes, could mean that rival GM's already know Prince has to be moved.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Easy there, pardner. It's JJ we have, not Antawn Jamison. I think Prince's recent injuries gives other GMs way more leverage than a perceived glut at small forward.

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The pistons need a center like Marc Gasol to plug the middle. Daye and JJ are going to be good but they are tweener types as is CV. A guy like Gasol would overcome that.

5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

lapiston, you love Marc Gasol. Absolutely love him. And rightfully so. You always have good points.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Welcome to the forum, and YUP! I'm with you on this one. Sometimes as fan(atic)s we get so worked up that we assume that Joe and other GM's don't see the same thing that we see. Joe is probably just telling NewOrleans, "No I am not interested in a Rip for MoPete and Posey deal" @ New York, "No Donny, I'm not interested in Rip for Eddy Curry deal......what....hold on you're breaking up say that again........uh huh, uh huh......Mutha#$!*% are you crazee, Rip for Dar......." CLICK!!!

7. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

One year before was the rigth moment to trade Marc Gasol,now we have veteran players 1 year older and he has exploited as a young player with a promising future in the league. Today It´s imposible memphis deal marc gasol if memphis manager is not an incompetent.
    They don´t need Rip or Prince(oj mayo,rudy gay are young and good players),i think in 2011 when gasol contract ends he can equal offers.
    In spain newspapers it´s said memphis want to extend his contract,we must focus in young bigs but marc gasol is imposible to take from grizzlies.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Sign me up! In Ben's prime, he is only slightly under his defensive strength. Offensively, there is no contest.

Age 29, 6-11 (245) and makes 11.9M. His contract runs out in 2010-2011 with Indiana holding his Bird Rights.

Let us cook a stew: JJ and Murphy as a serious mixture...oh my.

If JD is seriously aware of his most recent statements concerning the changes away from player positions (segmentations), then one might throw open the door away from true centers.

If this is indeed the case, and I mostly agree. Then you will need to develop a team orientation around certain aspects of talent. Yes, on top of this, you will have to get extremely creative about what coaching talent you need to acquire to obtain, sustain and nurture this direction.

As a GM, he will need to push it.

To be honest, I don't think he can do it.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Troy Murphy is in the Eddie Curry class of defenders... we already have one of those in CV.... no thanks

10. pass99

11. pass99

Wow, lets just stick with all PGs.

Go here: Troy Murphy Stats, News, Photos - Indiana Pacers - ESPN

Some tidbits from the latter:

2008-09 season: If you want to have fun tormenting a friend with a quiz, ask another basketball fan which power forward had the best defensive rebound rate last season, and see how many guesses they need to come up with "Troy Murphy."

Murphy cleaned up everything, posting a monstrous 32.4 defensive rebound rate, meaning one missed shot in three ended up in his mitts. He wasn't just the best at his position; he narrowly missed leading the entire league (see chart). That's especially notable considering that about 712 of his 715 boards were grabbed below the rim.

Offensively, Murphy had the green light to shoot spot-up 3s and he took advantage, nailing 45.0 percent -- good for third in the league -- while taking nearly five a game. Nearly half his shots were 3s, and because he was so accurate, he finished fourth among power forwards in true shooting percentage.

Although he had a low usage rate, his sharpshooting skills allowed him to score 16.8 points per 40 minutes.

When he wasn't nailing 3s, he was a good offensive orchestrator from the high post. Murphy indulged his inner Vlade Divac and ended up sixth among power forwards in assist ratio.

Certainly not the end all and be all, but short of Bosh, and a host of all others that will not come to Detroit. This is a pragmatic direction short of boiling the ocean while running out of matches.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's simple... the guy can not guard a sloth... may be poll worthy.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

A poll indeed. I like Murphy, and you're absolutely right, he's no defensive stallwart by any means, but here's the thing, guys who are 6'11"/245 and shoot 40% from the arc while giving you 14pts/10rbs- who can play defense- are not available.....EVER!! You have to draft them or grab them in free agency, the latter is a rarity, as most GM's negotiate extensions prior to them ever hitting the market.

Yeah a deal that sends Kwame, Wilcox and Austin Daye to Indy might get it done. While I don't want to part ways with AD, we'd have to give up something, and Bird has stated that he's not likely to take back a contract that extends beyond the one he's sending out.

Now in a, "Fantasy" World we'd do a straight up Rip for Murphy deal.

Now in a, "KG's Been Poppin' 'Shrooms With Larry Bird" World we'd do a Max+Kwame=Murphy deal, now I don't know about Larry, but I don't do drugs.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like what the team has done on this 3 game win streak. Rip has been playing much better and it's even showing in his body language and unselfishness, but let's be real, we need to rebuild and move forward.

Not sure if Ainge would do this deal but if I'm Joe I'd sure as heck call and ask him, 3 teams: Bos, Det, Hou.

RealGM: Trade Checker

Bos: Out-Ray Allen / In-Rip and Tay

Hou: Out- T-Mac / In-Ray Allen, Maxiel, Det's 2011 (lottery protected) 1st rd pick.

Det: Out- Rip, Tay, Max / In- T-Mac

Boston gets deeper and keeps their window open a little longer and they don't have to have an ugly renogiation with Ray Allen over the summer.

Hou gets a legit vet SG and still saves $18.5M in cap room next summer as well as a 1st rd pick for taking on Max. Ray Allen goes to a good playoff team and gets to showcase in a contract year.

Det will end up with about $30Million in cap room this summer. I go hard after David Lee and Tyrus Thomas. If T-Mac does OK, we ink him to a deal that looks similiar to the MLE. This trade doesn't make us better this year, but it will get us a top pick in this years draft and make us a major player in free agency.

According to my plan we'd look like something like this next season:
    PG: Stuckey / Bynum
    SG: Gordon / Evan Turner (who I think will be another Grant Hill)
    SF: JJ / Daye / Summers
    PF: Thomas / CV / Wilcox
    C: D.Lee / BenW?

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I like this KG ...under 2 conditions:
    1. T-Mac is not a Piston next year (even for MLE type $)
    2. We find someone other than Tyrus Thomas.

16. hitafreethrow

I dont care how quick of hops Tyrus Thomas has, or how good of a nose he has for the ball under his own basket, I would rather not have him on this team. Ben Gordon would probably tell you the same.

17. hitafreethrow

When I first read not more than 10 minutes after getting out of bed, I'm thinking "Since when does Kevin Garnett have personnel control in Indiana" and secondly "Man, I bet Larry Bird sends off some really wicked vibes when he's boomin'" :nerner:

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The only reason I say do a 3 team deal with Hou, is because a deal with Rip/Tay for Ray Allen would land us a player who doesn't want to be here. If we get T-Mac instead we get a guy that really wants to play and prove that he's still got it. Does he still have it, I don't know, would I like to find out while getting Rip, Tay and Max off the books next season....HELL YEAH! And if he does still have it, you have to ar least explore keeping him around.

True, it doesn't have to be Tyrus Thomas, but with $30M we could do some things, we could ideally sign Bosh and David Lee...in bizarro world of course.

19. Brap

Brap Starter

I like the deal as modified by BallDon'tLie - no Ty Thomas. There's a reason that guy can't ever stay in favor with the Bulls.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ty Thomas is an active body... I view him more as a center (gets up faster and higher than any 5 in the asociation)... the price is right.

There should be a mix of finesse and hard nosed athletes... we have skilled players.... we need to make opponents think twice about entering the paint.