Piston Trade Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 14, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But who? Who's actually available? And that player is not in the draft, maybe Cousins, but he's a bigger risk than what Joe is willing to take. Aldrich.....Slow-bust waiting to happen. Pittman, dude is HUGE, but he's a big ol' soft marshmallow, and will he keep himself in shape? We'll have to settle for finesse, I don't see the Lakers as a physical intimidating team.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll agree with your assesments of the draft bigs ... this is why I'm advocated the trade route.
    The Lakers have Bynum to demand attention... they also have world class defenders in Artest & Kobe.... While Gasol is not intimidating his length causes problems at PF.... they have 4 players above our top talent (plus Odom off the bench).
    We always talk about pairing Wilcox or CV with a high end defender... while Ben is better than most we have to be honest about his foot speed dropping a couple notches (reasonably so).

If not a top 2 pick I'd try to package the pick with Rip or Tay for a presence.... true the list is short and availability even shorter... but we have to bank on the fact that teams not making a splash in the playoffs will be looking to change their environment (even if it requires unloading a talented high priced big).

Who?... I think we went thru the pecking order once or twice... start the wish list high... Jefferson, Oak, Perkins, Lopez, Kaman, Nene, Thompson... going down the list to tier two talent... Haywood, Blatch, Biedrins, Ty Thomas, Przybilla, Daly, Hibbert etc.
    Compensation matching the talent... it may initially take a parallel move to free cap leverage or acquire a slight upgrade at a deep position.

Another option is to position for 2011/12... Moving Rip for Dalembert (or like expiring in 10/11)... him & Prince become large trade chip or relief next year.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

A lineup of <insert real PG here>-Gordon-JJ-Bosh-Lee would be wonderful.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Now Merc you know good and well that those 2nd tier guys are just big, not great defenders who protect the paint, they're simply big.

The 1st tier players, I can't imagine a scenario where any one of those players would become available, except Lopez, and I'm talking about the less talented one in Phx.

There is always the possibility that we gamble on a guy like Eddy Curry and hope that he gets and stays healthy AND the light bulb finally clicks on.

Lastly Kendrick Perkins is intriguing, not because I think we could ever land him but because he is proof that you don't need an All-Star center if the other 3-4 players around him can ball at a HIGH level, just a big punisher that has the foot speed and smarts to rotate on defense, in which case the lesser talented Lopez twin could indeed bloom into that.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would probably be better to gamble on Shawn Kemp at this point.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

It's really hard to imagine a current NBA player becoming available that the Pistons need. We just don't need guards -- even PG is a position I'd leave alone right now. With Stuckey and Bynum surrounded by guys who can spread the floor and move the ball (Daye looks to be great in that role in the near future, Gordon is an incredible scorer from distance, Summers is a long distance shooter as part of his arsenal, and I have a lot of faith in Jerebko developing - he's already a very good passer, has good handle and he'll become a reliable 3 pt shooter), we won't need a true point. -- BTW, I'm counting on Stuckey getting it, and I think he will as I see him as unselfish and when his team gets healthy and in sync he'll use his weapons.

I think it's more likely that the Pistons will be looking for cap relief in 2010 or 2011 and/or a high draft pick in 2010, 2011 or 2012. Tay and Rip for those kind of assets sounds really good to me.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Chad Ford is saying keep an eye on the Pistons & Grizz...
    A couple of GMs told him the Grizz are concerned about keeping Rudy Gay (worried one of the teams with major $s will make an offer the owner won't match).
    Ford is thinking Prince & lotto pick for Gay ...FWN (filler where needed)
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Rudy Gay is a GREAT talent. If we could get him for Tay and our #1, possibly top two or three protected, definitely top 1 protected, that's a no-brainer deal.

It would also cause a cascade of another trade or two. CV might become redundant, and Jerebko and Daye might need to find other positions, since SF is handled. Jonas as a backup SF and PF (eventually) works, and Daye at the SG and PF eventually works as well.

The thought of Stuckey, Gay, Gordon and Daye in the same offense is a really nice thought.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, and it rhymes. :thumb:
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

oooooohhh - a nice extra special bonus!
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

(A) Since when are taking Chad Ford seriously........I thought we banned mention of him since he played such an integral part in the Darko Debacle.

(B)Memphis would have to be dumber than a pile of horse manuer to make this move.

(C)It makes a ton of sense to add another UConn Husky to the roster, all we're missing is Oak in the middle, Khalid El-Amin at the point.

(D) I like it!!!!!
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True as long as it's top 3 protected because I'd hate to lose out on Wall, Favors or Turner.

Or another team. It's a can't lose scenario, if Rudy walks we gain over $11M in cap space....HELLO DAVID LEE!!! And I wouldn't care if he walked because I am completely comfortable with what I see out of JJ and Daye at the SF position.

If we kept Rudy we get a bonafied stud at SF, making one or both of our coveted young SF's trade assets, who could be packaged with Rip and/or Maxiel and get us a PF, C, or Capp Spayce.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

KG, Honestly I had to talk myself into posting the Fad Chord rumor...
    We need something to talk about for the roster changes...
    Gotta admit his sources are a lot better than Sam "the Sham" Smith or some of these other guesstimators.
    Puff the Magic Langlois is always available if you prefer.
  14. Brap

Brap Starter

From the article on Pistons.com, I do wonder if trading Prince now is definitely going to happen. His mentoring guys like Summers, Daye and JJ have got to be really helpful to this team.

Maybe we just hold onto him unless we get a really good big man in some trade. He'd be that much more valuable to trade next season when he's on an expiring contract - and probably a lot healthier than he has been this season.
  15. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Eww, David Lee on a team with Villanueva? That's no better than the current Knicks frontcourt.

I don't get a Gay for Prince/1st for the Grizzlies, especially when they are in the midst of a playoff run. Though if they really believe they can't resign Gay and can make the playoffs then it kind of makes sense. They'd be getting a top 8 pick from us, but they don't need to upgrade many positions through the draft. Mayo/Gay/Randolph/Gasol is looking like a very solid core with each player actually improving. The only thing they are really missing (aside from a stronger bench) is a great PG. Unless they think they can get Wall with our pick, they shouldn't do this deal.

And it'd leave the Pistons with more SFs and a frontcourt that features an overpaid sometimes worthwhile defensively enept PF, an old force, and a bunch of mediocre bench players. Then again, Gay is actually someone who is definitely more worthy than Rodney Stuckey of the "Future of the franchise" tag.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Searching for the &quot;D&quot; in Detroit
    Stuckey is not someone to build an entire team around, but neither is Gay. For someone who is so athletically gifted, he still takes waaaaaaaaaaay too many 20 foot jump shots. He doesn't bring it every night either (a judgement I've made watching him play). And he doesn't use his gifts to be an elite defender (which he is certainly capable of becoming).

I'd be apprehensive about acquiring Gay, especially since he thinks he should be paid like a max player (he shouldn't be). We probably won't even be able to hang on to him past next year.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

?????????? The knicks frontcourt isn't their problem, and truthfully that is an improving team considering all of the BS that goes on in that circus. And how can you Eww a guy that's 26 years old and gets you 19&11 everynight, and never takes a play off? Just how many guys in the league do you think fit that mold?
  18. Walter

Plus Lee would start and CV would come off the bench.
  19. Walter

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When was the last time Joe made any meaningful trade in the conference? Ben Wallace and Chucky for Hill? Stackhouse for Rip?

Sure Sheed came through Atlanta, but everyone knew that was just a stopover.

Dumars does not trade in conference if he can help it.