Piston Trade Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Kwame + Tay + Wilcox seems pretty unlikely to me. As others said, throw in Daye or JJ and it looks more possible. I'd rather to keep JJ if we send them Tay and Wilcox even thou I believe Daye have a higher potential becoming a really good player (but equally higher fluke potential). JJ seems to me like the safer choice and also better short term.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Here's an article about the Amare rumors. Woj's been pretty reliable.
    Suns seeking trade offers for Stoudemire - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The Suns want young talent and cap relief. They'd want a big man in return to fill the void at PF. We don't have a promising young talent big that they can use as a building block. Stuckey is the only young talent of ours that they might be interested in. For example, Prince+Stuckey+Wilcox for Amare works salary-wise. They may get better offers though.

In any case, we'd have to give up quite a bit to get Amare. If we are gonna do this, I want Joe to do either one of the following:
    1. Somehow make sure that he won't bolt after 4 months.
    2. Unload an equally undesirable contract (read: Rip or Maxiell).
    Now, the article above states that Wolves want Amare and they are also looking for SFs. We have lots of SFs, albeit none at the skill level that Wolves are looking for. Wolves have lots of PGs and two legit big men in Al Jefferson and Kevin Love. We need PG & Big. So the needs and assets are there. Perhaps a 3-way trade with Minny, Detroit and Phoenix can be worked out where we end up with a PG & a big, Minny lands a good SF and Phoenix moves Amare.
  3. Walter

They'd be much more interested in Stuckey as opposed to Daye or JJ. I don't have a problem with moving him, but with Amare able to bolt from the lottery team we are this summer, it'd be a shame to give up Stuckey for nothing.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Phx wants A player, cap relief, and 1 or both of the following: Young talent or a draft pick.

I could see Joe doing this one:

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN, With our Lottery pick Top5 protected of course; but I'd settle for Top3 protected.

They get a player (so they think) in Prince, a big to play screen and roll with Nash (Wilcox), a lottery pick, and it saves them almost $4M in salary, and Tay becomes an expiring contract next season. Not a bad deal.

Most teams are scared to make this deal because they are afraid of what they'll lose if Amare goes elsewhere. With us that's really not our concern, heck we really just need Tayshaun to LEAVE!!! So that JJ and Daye can get mins, plus when all 4 guards return we'll be playing a ton of 3 guard lineups. But you have to like how we'd look:

PG: Stuck / WB
    SG: Rip/Bengo
    SF: JJ/AD
    PF: Amare/CV
    C: BEN/Max
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you get Amar'e and want this year's numbers, you best make sure that Nash comes along for the ride. He's putting up 21 and 9 now, decent, but you would expect more boards given the pace the Suns play at. Without Nash, maybe 15 and 7?

The $20MM he's going to want after next season is a lot to pay for 15 & 7.
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

This is probably true, I was just objecting to Suns accepting Amare for K, P and W.

I agree fully with KGREG.
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think Kwame sweetens this deal by giving them 4 mill off the books next year, doesn't it? Would a draft pick be better then sending them JJ? They will know what they have instead of going into the draft.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How much of this, and last offseason's spending, is driven by management seeking to unload the team?

Locking up long term talent makes the franchise much more valuable than being at the bottom of a rebuilding project with cap space.
  9. Brap

Brap Starter

Again, there's no way we're moving Stuckey for this guy. I wouldn't trade Stuckey even up for Amare - especially given his contract situation.

If we knew we were getting him, the one guy on our team who would be gone next (or in the deal) would be CV. No way any team can survive defensively with two guys playing like CV and Amare - and Amare would dominate the shots making CV extra baggage.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yup! The most obvious choice for this move is CV. Tay and CV for Amare. Tay is already 'extra baggage' and when Bengo gets healthy it's only going to get worse, as I said earlier it's time for Tay to GO! Right now I'd give Tay to anybody willing to take him, Tay for Rufus Henry for all I care. Then this simply becomes a trade of CV for Amare straight up, and yeah...I'd do that deal. Again if we lose Amare it means we have about $20M in free agent cash to spend.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

20 million to spend on -- who? We need a big man - we need a young Ben Wallace, but I don't think any are available.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There will never be another Ben Wallace.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what about the Raptors as trade partner? They have 2 good PG's right now as Jarett Jack is playing the best basketball of his life and has no intentions to give up his starting PG sport to Calderon. At the same time, they have a young, but not that good SG in DeRozan. We have 3 SG's and no PG--> why not try to get Calderon for RIP, Stuck or BG?
  14. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would love Calderon in a Piston uniform. he is a true pass first point guard, who plays decent defense, and would make Bynum even more valuable as he would be a true change of pace PG for us.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

According to whitepages.com, there are literally hundreds of other Ben Wallaces.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is why I keep saying Joe D is doing a horrible job, is he even trying to sign these guys?
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

Ernie, you're being a slow adult....

oh, wait a minute.

That's your point.
  18. Walter

Or Minny. They have Flynn and Sessions with Rubio on the horizon and no great SGs.
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Laim & Ernie posting back2back spells comedy... good stuff :MusicBigGrin:
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Unless Phx is asking for something outrageous, I have a feeling that Joe gets this done, he knows that players like Amare are not available very often and that when they are you have to nab them.

Also the fact that we're overloaded at 2 positions (SG/SF) and nobody is untouchable really works to our advantage.