Piston Trade Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 14, 2010.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A couple of points to keep in mind.

First, they are rookies and have gotten some valuable playing time. Like all rookies, they come cheap and will continue to do so for the next couple of years. At worst (and I mean worse) they develop into solid bench players. One or perhaps both, might become eligible starters while still cheap. This youthful emphasis on cheap is an area most mindful for the Pistons.

Second, there will be a lot of pressure for JD to take a chance on a combo deal that might not be a sure thing, but will include a throw in like one of these youngsters. The sharks know this and I still trust JD's honed and sharpened teeth over these last few years to help balance this out. Just as long as he doesn't panic. Disregarding a block-buster trade (advantage JD), he has to make Rip, Tay and JMax deals really count. I don't know his plan, but I don't feel comfortable about his (perhaps) unrealistic estimation of Stuckey's contribution as play-maker and leadership value. He has a terrible jump shot and then you look over toward Bengo...see what I mean?

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's tough dishing out a max for N.E.1 not named Kobe or Lebron.
    1/4 of the payroll on one guy is high risk... likely cap hell later... especially dangerous for a Microfracture survivor.
    If you can do it while shedding another big salary (Rip/Tay) it becomes more palatable.

Max $ players s/b 25/7... high shooting %... a willing passer and excellent defender... without a big injury history.... and young.

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree, they are all good points, but is that benefit really going to be a deal-breaker when it comes to get our hands on a legit star? I wouldn't think so.

Sure we don't want to give them away for peanuts (see Budinger JOE!!). Most likely the only way to ditch Rip's contract will be to include one or more of our rookies. Depending on what we get back, it will be worth it IMO. Max's deal while not great, is not as much of a burden as Rip's.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments about Stuck and Gordon though.

4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Jump shooting is perhaps the easiest aspect to improve on in basketball. His decision making improving is far more important, I think, regardless of what position he plays.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Five more days until I can talk about the "Quintessential One"

6. pass99

Good points. Mechanics are indeed...well... mechanical to simulate. Yet, how many potential talents have wasted their careers by throwing away workmen like attitudes toward correcting flaws, as well as, incrementally working each year to earn a new postive twist to their game. How many are susceptible to good learning coaches, if they can get them? The pros are not geared toward this type of learning system and as these kids get younger, one would wonder why organizations waste potential-developing values. Millions are wasted each year. They become lazy because they are encouraged not to see the whole person. Darko-Kwame types should never be allowed to dangle in order to justify organizational flaws. Who calls them on these embarrassments? Certainly not the fans and certainly not the owners. Well, I guess we can always look toward the coaches.

PGs are born whole. Good ones are combinations of floating fire-flies, complete with on-off flickers and humming bird jitterbug dances on silent airwaves. They create, nurture and maintain these particular flight patterns. Stuckey is not of this group.

Don't get me wrong, he has talent. He may even cross-over into the PG role, but it will not get you into the higher playoffs at this position. He is a two, which allows less lateral thinking then the PG position. This, as you have surmised, is still an uncomfortable role for him. Granted, he is young, but he seems to carry heavy legs as the game wears on. This alters his already faulty jump shooting ability (CB was also heavy weighted, but paced himself and he had that great jump shot). As the games gets more refined toward tall athletic ability, soon the 2-3 positions will start out at 6 ft-7 inches. The upcoming draft is full of such types.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It kills me that NOBODY blames Jordan for Kwame. Had Kwame been the #1 pick of the 2nd rd he'd be a much appreciated player in this league, the guy takes so much flack for a position he never asked for.

Now you know I hardly ever understand the stuff you post, but this pure POETRY!! All I can say is A-MEN!!!

If I didn't know any better I'd swear that was a post lobbying for a one, Evan Turner, but I must be mistaken as that would require [strike]tanking[/strike] I mean "missing the playoffs" (tank is such an ugly word)

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

TQO to those in the know.

P.S. Has the advantage of not having me spell quintessential.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

can you guys program it so that when you put your mouse over TQO it explains what it means, like you all did with YKW.

10. markie8002000

markie8002000 First Round Draft Pick

11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what a %%%%%; imho, the Pistons have shown that they suck when playing the 3 guard rotation with Stuck logging most of the minutes at point. Didn't the team play its best basketball with Stuck at the 2 and CA at the 1? How much prove does JoeD need to see that it has no sense to play with 3 SG's`? He saw last year with Iverson drama and he has that same thing this year again. But no, he relies on the injuries as an excuse rather than the simple fact that his SG- fetish is killing the team.

12. Brap

Brap Starter

Regardless of whether Joe really wants to make a trade - and I think it's entirely fine thinking to say that he wants to see his team healthy for a good long stretch so he can evaluate what we have - it's smart for him to say he doesn't want to make a trade now. Anything that drives the value of his guys up, helps us when we do make a trade.

13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yah,really is Joe saying he wants to evaluate the talent we have when they are healthy, or is he saying that "Every offer that has come has been crap, so these guys need to get healthy and play 100% so I can get something of value for them".

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree we should refrain from the 4 letter word used for heavy armory... There are several more pleasing means of obtaining a high lotto pick...
    * Floating in a future direction
    * Establishing our next ship run
    * Excellerated development of our youth
    * Ping Pong Fun
    * Getting on Sterns good side
    * Helping our playoff friends
    * Crap for Cap

15. Brap

Brap Starter

LOL....

16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I believe, that is the case. every GM tries to win from trades and every leverage is used.

17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think that argument is somewhat overstated. Joe would be on the phone to GM's or messaging through assistants quite a bit - they'd know what the deal with each other is most of the time. I don't think other GM's are reading the news and saying to themselves 'Oh looks like Joe is happy with his team.'

Whenever you hear this kind of stuff I always think it's more for the fans (and players when it comes to some GM's).

18. Brap

Brap Starter

Probably true. On the other hand - it surely does no good to announce: "fire sale!"

19. pass99

Tell-tale truth.

20. pass99

I like Murph, as I have stated. The organization will have to be sneaky and who is the best, but sneaky Joe. At all positions in the 4-5 realm, you need solid effort. You need a solid lunch pail type and who will be sober come Monday. Murph will cover CV's back and keep his mouth shut. The edge someone like Murph will bring is an off-hand comment, (at the right time) toward the likes of CV...on how the majority of most people toil without recognition. The right coach and an astute observer from the GM side, might bring up a team transfer from the cotton fields of middle South to the dream land (via 1930's) along Route 66 and ending up in the San Joaquin Valley cotton fields.

Cotton is still cotton, but the transfer of journey is everything.