Pistons 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 17, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

Who was playoff ready tonight?? Pistons or Sixers?? Even if the Pistons had won the game, Joe should have gone down there to chew out Flip and the team.

Yeah Flip can't take any shots, but the lack of rotation/substitution in the third came back to haunt us. The Zoo crew didn't deliver this time because AA and AJ were not a part of it and some guy named Rookie Stuckey froze out there in the 4th holding on to the rock to long waiting for vets like Hunter and Tay to get open. I heard a sound byte that Sheed took responsibility for the loss....(maybe that foolishness in the last 11 sweconds of going into their huddle and joking).. Did CB take any responsibility or blame? He missed 3 ft's in crunch time, missed six Fgs and got outplayed by Andre Miller. Other than some first half hustle by SHeed, only Max played like he wanted to win the game. Evans was this years Anderson Vaerejo, out hustling our bigs and littles. Aggressiveness seems to beat the Pistons and some how we don't play aggressive when we get into the playoffs.

How's this for nervous vets >Billups, Hamilton and Dyess 10-35 shooting??? Bench 8-13 (including 6-8 from Max). No home team sporting a 1 or 2 seed should lose a game when leading by 15 points midway thru the third quarter.

It's only one game, but the pressure of winning game 2 is huge....so please Pistons wake up!!!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Please don't pick on Max. He said nice things about the new chat, plus he watches every game 4.5 times in frame by frame slow motion.
  3. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

that is the point, boston will sweep hawks..........................pistons will struggle to win their first round series
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

What's so funny about that?

The Pistons didn't have that attitude before Flip got here.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, I most certainly can blame it on the coach. Bringing your starters back with 8 minutes to go in the game is borderline absurd. This is a playoff intensity game. You kind of need a bit of rest to play well against young sprites 10 years younger than you are. Billups is a marvelous player, but human.

Sheed can rest for the next ten years by the way, and it won't help. Then he would be 43, and still not capable of playing the kind of minutes he played tonight. In game rest is just as important as rest in the previous week. Especially for older players. And the bigger they are, the more rest they need. Trust me in this, I have been watching a lot of NBA basketball. Younger, lighter, players have an advantage when it comes to playing heavy minutes. Sheed is hardly either one of those things.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You sure? 4.5 times. Now, I watch them five times. Thats the problem right there. If only he would quit slacking and watch that other .5 more times. Then I am sure he would see what I do and we would have nothing to argue about.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Pretty pathetic when the difference between a win/loss is Afflalo vs. Hunter.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

tIM dUNCAN PLAYED 51 MINUTES AND 2 OT'S against the Big cactus and Amare Stud!!!! GET OFF THIS damn rest BS!! Tired mt butt, Lee. I hate when yall bring that tired 3 years in a row excuse up! Its a difference between tired, listless and lazy! Tired....@##$$%#!that...
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA

Flip's not strong enough personality to influence this team one way or another.
    :hoops:
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Do yo think that giving them let's say 2 more minutes rest could have been difference?
  11. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

What's up with Sheed coming out of a timeout with 10 seconds left. We are down by one. And Sheed has the time and thought to go over and put his arm around the 76er's, with a great big smile on his face. Unbelievable. They should be sweeping these guys, and having a few more practices for the next series.
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Thanks HQ, thanks...............
  13. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

That is one way in which Flip contrasts sharply with LB. LB was able to get the team to play to its full potential in the playoffs in the two years he was here. Flip has thus far not been able to do that.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

That's the problem. He can't force the issue. The players have known it since he got here and developed 'flip the switch'.
  15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Yeah, I caught that, Buck. Could not believe it either.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think Sheed was trying to get in their heads...didn't work
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sheed was approaching a triple double in the 3rd quarter. 7 blocks. 9 boards. He ended up with 24 points too. And in the first half, what was he doing? Going inside like a fiend. Just like we want him to. But then he gradually slowed down. By the 4th, he had no legs left. Whether you want to believe it or not, but for fatigue, Rasheed Wallace was having one great, utterly fantastic game. His 7 blocks were all spectacular. But he is human and can not sustain that kind of effort.

PS, last I checked, Duncan was coached by a good coach, who has never ridden him over the years like Sheed has been ridden. Why don't you go look at the stats and tell me why Duncan might just have something in the tank for a game like that.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I can't believe that's an actual quote
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i love u 2:MusicBigGrin:
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Here's my take on what went wrong:

1. Pistons (and Pistons fans) underestimate the 76ers. They are young, fast, athletic, scrappy, and motivated. Reggie Evans plays every single minute he is on the court. AI played like a man possessed, even after Sheed and Maxiell stuffed him 4 or 5 times in a row. Andre Miller was working hard.

2. Despite the hustle of Philly, the Pistons put on a clinic with Rasheed and Jason leading the class. After halftime, the guards seem to go away from the frontcourt in an attempt to get the backcourt going. Rip shoots a terrible %, makes some bad decisions, and has a generally horrible game. Chauncey misses 3 FT's in a row, misses outside shots, misses layups, etc. Sheed missed his last shot attempt, but Batman and Robin lost this game.

I just don't buy the tired/ minutes/ Hunter/ Amir arguements.

I thought the defense was excellent in this game. Even the Rattler was making life hell for AI.

I didn't think Saunders substitutions were bad at all. He left Maxiell in almost the entire second half when Dice was ineffective. Stucky did almost nothing in his time out there. Maybe he could have played Alf instead of Lenz, but c'mon... is this really the sub that decides the game?

I'm agreeing with coach on this one. The backcourt (including Stucky) didn't hit their shots, and the 76ers stole one from us.