Pistons 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 17, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

Re: 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

Thats alright, thats just the loss talking.

I am not going to freak out over a 4 point loss in the 1st game. It sucked but its not the series. Figure how well they played and how awfull the Pistons played and it was only a 4 point game.

In all fairness . Someone should point out to the Sixers coach that Miller played 45 mins and their star Igoudala played 46 mins.
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Why dont YOU look at :
    1. How many rings Timmay has?
    2. How many minutes TD played in the last 7 games of the year compared to the last 7 Sheed played?
    3. What IF the Pistons HAD to play the starters more down the stretch?
    4. I guess Duncan is SUPER human ...or maybe he justs an overall better 'human being' than Sheed will ever be?
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

You just made an excellent case for why Flip should have played AA & Amir some minutes. Our only bench was JMax.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

About Flip's "can't coah making shots". He can't coach making shots, but he can coach shot selection, offenisve sets, bench substitutions, and put players in good positions. He can also tell Rip to stop jacking which LB was adept at doing.

I'm never going to belive that coaching doesn't have a huge effect on players even from the standpoint of giving them confidence, and mental preparation (See; Hedo Turkoglu) If we can see Flip continually fall apart when things go south and have no answers, the players can too.

I don't how care talented you are; the team that's playing with essentially an arm tied behind their back will always lose.
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I heard it live on the presser...and he knows it and the league knows it! The Pistons still believe IT WAS THEIR fault they dont have 3 more rings. When they learn to go GET IT instead of thinking its their RITE of passage, maybe we can win again.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Iggy is young, and i do believe those min will catch up to Miller if they continue
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Celtics win going away 104-81. food4thot
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree that no matter how we spin it, whether Sheed was tired or not, as soon Sixers got that 10-0 run got to a 6-0 run, a couple of players should have been subbed, just to change the flow and slow down the Sixers. "Their athletes" were in there and our "old" guys were in there. Look at the shooting stats > our starters were 24-69 . Even Andre miller mentioned in his post game interview that "our young guys took over" . If our starters had been on, then our bench could have just played the way they have done last week with ease....but instead they came in with the sixers momentum in full affect and could not stop it.

Mix it up a little more in the third Flip and maybe we win the next four and sweep it the hard way!!
  9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Here is what I would do to get the Pistons ready for their next game. First I would rest their "poor tired" legs by plopping them down in front of a big screen television. And then I would force them to watch the four games they lost in the Cleveland series last year. Then I would show them the last game of the Finals where the Spurs swept Cleveland. If that don't fire up these old cats, it's time to send some of them packing.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm not saying Flip shouldn't have played Alf and Amir. I just don't think the problem was with the front court or backup guard position. Wallace, Maxiell, and Ratliff did an excellent job up front, and although Stucky and Hunter were not especially effective, I don't think this game hinged on their play. Would Alf have done a better job than Hunter? Maybe, but he hasn't really been a great scorer so far, and it seems we really needed more scoring. The Pistons scoring drought was very long in the 2nd half. How does Alf help?
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

No better counter to a scoring drought than creating one for your opponent. Oops...sorry...the LB in me is coming out :sssh:
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I found that hilarious. I think he was trying to hear what the defense was planning, and mess up any focus they had on that play. It worked, too. Evans got really annoyed and ended up switching to help Miller on the mismatch too late, unfortunately Rasheed overshot the ball a bit.

I often disagree with what you say, but here is a gem - I'm not annoyed that AA or AJ didn't play per se, but why did Flip go with a rotation that he had never even used in the regular season? Or at least, that he had never used with any success???

Lee, I think Max would be able to watch it the whole fifth time if he took more rest during the previous four times, like you do. :MusicBigGrin:

That's another phrase to add to my list of words that make me queasy when used in a sports context:

penetration
    jacking up

:MusicBigGrin:
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I could do another. Defense leads to offense . . . It's true, i've seen it :)
  14. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh My God, what a terrible game. For those of you in TV-land who still can't believe what you saw, I can tell you I was unfortunate enough to witness this embarrassment in person with my own eyes - which I will now go and wash out with vinegar...

Embarrassment is the best word to use here but I won't start calling for anyone's head or proclaiming the sky is falling. yet...

The crowd was quite poor. Not the crowd who were there, the crowd who didn't show up. The arena was only about 60% full. What's up with that Detroit? You better show up Wednesday or else you might not get another chance to see your team again this season...

My night started out not so well when I got to my (what I thought was) good seat in the front row of the upper level on mid-court, to discover I was sitting right behind the TV cameras. Not above the cameras, behind the cameras. I'm not usually one to complain, but I didn't feel like paying a good amount of money for someone 20 rows back to have a better view and only being able to see half the court for the whole game. So I went down to the ticket office and inquired about a seat move. Luckily a few minutes later they came back with a new seat. Beauty! An upgrade to the lower section. It was only row P, but hey, much better than what I had. Night back on track.

The Sixers looked like they came ready to play, no messing around from them during warm-ups, meanwhile a few Pistons probably could have utilised their warm-up time better. ie. Sheed and Hayes having a shooting competition from the corner 3pt line. No just that, it involved shooting a bank shot, free-throw style. Way to prepare just 5 minutes before game-time guys...

Rebounding numbers won't show how bad we were on the defensive boards because we were so good on the offensive boards. Our defensive rebounding was TERRIBLE! In the first half especially. Although he didn't make many shots, Dice was the only one hustling and rebounding in the first quarter. But he hardly played in the 2nd half at all.

Sheed got off to a hot start, getting in the post and scoring with ease. However, the downside was it took the other guys a while to get into the game. (Or in Rip's case, not at all). Rip was just terrible all game long. What's with him trying to drive into 4 guys? Frustrating beyond belief.

As a team we ran waaay too many ISO's. Not enough ball movement.

Offensive rebounding from the Sixers allowed them to get an early lead in the first before we eventually took a small lead. A good 2nd quarter, especially from Maxiell who was absolutely fantastic, but I think maybe it was just the fact Philly started missing shots that allowed us to build a nice lead at the half. It didn't really feel like a 13 point lead though.

The Pistons didn't show up to start the 2nd half, a quick 8-0 run by the Sixers allowed them to close the gap quickly. Dalembert was pretty unlucky I thought to pick up those 2 quick fouls. They were pretty cheap and that was the time for us to assert ourselves and take a big lead. Didn't happen. This was the time for us to get inside and make some baskets. Didn't happen.

This is the gamelog of what happened after Dalembert went to the bench with 7:30 left in the 3rd quarter.
    Billups MADE layup
    Wallace MADE 3-pointer
    Billups missed layup
    McDyess MADE put-back
    Prince missed 20ft jumpshot
    Hamilton missed 3-pointer
    McDyess missed layup
    Wallace offensive foul
    Wallace missed 3-pointer
    Billups missed 16ft jumpshot
    Billups missed 3-pointer
    Wallace MADE put-back
    Maxiell MADE dunk
    Hamilton MADE 2 free-throws
    Hamilton MADE 15ft jumpshot
    Hamilton missed 20ft jumpshot

Wouldn't exactly call that taking advantage of Dalembert being on the bench, would you?

The 4th quarter was painful to watch. The crowd was still excitable but I couldn't share their enthusiasm. You give a fan a free cup of water and they'll get excited about it. Not to mention they had those bloody thundersticks at every seat in the arena. Thank you Mr.Jackass who decided that!! Gahhh.

I thought if the Pistons managed to fanangle a victory I would still go home happy enough. Of course I would. But it didn't happen. I just had this funny feeling all night that we'd be the only team to be upset in the 1st game of the 1st round. Things just didn't go right. I couldn't believe how many easy shots we missed down the stretch. I can't recall ever seeing so many easy shots missed. It was hard to fathom. Shots that would be made 8 out of 10 times.

We managed to get into the bonus early in the 4th quarter which I thought was a good sign and even if we struggled to make shots down the stretch we'd still be able to score from the line. Which happened exactly, except we couldn't make a damn free-throw either! Missed FT's from Rip and Billups (3 in a row no less) meant it was just going to be one of those nights.
    On the second last play of the game where Prince took that outside jumpshot I just sighed in misery. 'That couldn't have been the play you drew up Flip. It just couldn't have...'

In summary, I'm disappointed we lost, moreso given the fact I was there, moreso given the fact it was my first and probably only Pistons playoff game I'll ever see, but anyway, life goes on.

Let's just hope this was just one bad game, and not a sign of things to come.

PHOTOS FROM THE GAME

After the game I decided to walk the 3 miles home to clear my head. Didn't help much.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

Barkley, Kenny & Magic bagging on the Pistons for their 'flip the switch' attitude right now. Everyone knows the problem except the Pistons.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hunter was actually affective in the first half...even Magic gave him props during the TNT halftime show..

But he did nothing with Stuckey to open the 4th quarter. I am still thinking that when we were still up 9 or so during the middle of their run, the defense of Alf could have been tossed out there with about 3 mins left in that third to slow that run and give our guys a few more ops to pick up points on a fastbreak going the other way. I mean at one point during that run, we could get no stops so there were no opportunities for easy scoring on the other end...

I could see this happening based on the feel of the last two losses to the Sixers... we are better on paper, but they appear to be more aggressive and athletic ... I am going dark for a couple of days as I will be traveling, so sorry if I am trying to throw out all my frustrations tonight but.....:yellowprison:
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I haven't watched this team all year. My wife happened to turn it on in the 2nd quarter, so I figured what the heck.

I was in awe. I saw the hustle. diving for loose balls, team defense, crisp passes, great shots. I was thinking I was so wrong about these guys. Things have changed. Joke was on me.

I do not like this team or the coach. That's why I stopped watching long ago and that's why I'm done watching.

Go Wings. Go Lightning. Go Steelheads. Go Phillies.

Good luck Pistons. Like someone recently said, they act like they have won multiple championships. They won ONE. Oh well, they weren't going very far anyhow.

Somewhere along the way...I'm not sure when or where...they lost their heart.

Guess what guys, CLEVELAND MAY BE COMING EARLY THIS YEAR.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My friend, don't take it so hard. We'll be right.
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

At this moment, it is very hard to believe that a team with the second-best record in the NBA this season who can't beat a 40-42 team at home in the first game of a first-round playoff series is gonna go on and win the 'ship without a serious attitude adjustment. Maybe Joe D can bring in this guy.

[​IMG]
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I still think this loss is simple: our starters were not playoff= intensity ready as Max hinted. To me, this is the most logical explanation. This Piston team will get better as the playoffs move along.

If there are other reasons why we lost, then we indeed are indeed in trouble as Philly does not have one player who is a real danger unlike what we will face in the later rounds...a loss in another context is deeper and systemic. I didn't see that.

I prefer to stay with the simple explanation for now...