Pistons 2006-07 15-man roster

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 7, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looking ahead to this fall, who will make the Pistons 15-man roster? Right now, it looks something like this:

Starters:
    1. Billups
    2. Hamilton
    3. Prince
    4. Wallace
    5. McDyess

Reserves:
    6. Davis
    7. Hunter
    8. Delfino
    9. Maxiell
    10. Acker
    11. Johnson
    12. Blalock
    13. Samb
    14. ???
    15. ???

Lots of young guys in spots 8-13. Does the team actually keep 6 or more guys that are rookies or 2nd-year players? Delfino is going into his 3rd year technically, but he's only played 1,185 total minutes so far.

Who else makes the 15-man roster? Cato? Delk? New free agents? Surprises from summer league? Does Joe D still have a trade or two up his sleeve?
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Where's Narz?
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think Joe is going to make a trade if anything. We have a very little chance to do something good in free agency right now because all we have is the Bi-Annual. There are some good players on the Pistons SL team, but I don't know if they can make the roster AND contribute a lot.

You think Cheik Samb will make our roster Bill?
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yep you should throw him in for Samb or at least put both Nazr and Samb on the roster.:)
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

6. Blalock
    7. Delfino
    8. Johnson
    9. McDyess
    10. Davis
    11. Hunter
    12. Acker
    13. Maxiell

My guess is Johnson spends most of the season in the D-League or on the inactive lust. Maybe another free agent will sign for the money we have left (probably a third-string talent swingman; please, please, please not Sucky Atkins). I highly doubt Cheick Samb will sign this year.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Like ahb said I don't want Chucky back. He does what Chauncey does except 10 times worse. I would rather get a guy who is different from Chauncey and forces the opponent to change their defensive tactics when this guy comes in. Who knows maybe it could be Blalock.:noidea:
  7. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Starters:
    1. Billups
    2. Hamilton
    3. Prince
    4. Wallace
    5. Mohammed

Reserves:
    6. McDyess
    7. Hunter
    8. Delfino
    9. Maxiell
    10. Acker
    11. Johnson
    12. Blalock
    13. Davis
    14. Experienced contingency point guard
    15. Cheap athletic 2/3 rim attacker
  8. BillLaimbeer

I forgot Nazr. I knew I was forgetting someone. I was going by the NBA.com web site, and Mohammed isn't on the Pistons roster yet because he obviously has yet to sign. Thanks, guys.

Good questions about Cheik Samb. He could be stashed overseas for a year or two. With the NBDL, at least you can keep a closer watch on the guy. I guess it will depend on what Samb shows in Summer League, as well as who Joe D can pick up as a free agent in the upcoming weeks.
  9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe should be able to get a FA in the Mo Evands area at the point guard position.
    That's not much, but looking at the roster I think every average NBA player with some experience would help. I mean, Lindsey ain't getting younger and I think he's already getting grey hairs and needs some botox.
  10. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons have 4 points guards already (Billups, Hunter, Acker, Blalock). Backup point guard is certainly an area of concern. If Joe D signs another PG, one of these young guys will likely get shipped out.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I was under the impression that Acker could play the 2 as well. Everyone was raving about his shot.

What's his position in the VSL?
  12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

You're not the only one who'd like to forget about Nazr.
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't see Dice starting. It makes our bench too weak and our starters too small. Dice will be most effective for us as the 6th man.

I've got to think that we'll have 2 players in the D league for the majority of the season. Assuming Joe has learned from his mistakes that is.
    Acker and AJ were MUCH better off playing in the D late last season, than they were rotting away in the front row, IMO.

Now that we've added Blalock and potentially Samb to Maxiell, AJ, Acker. We've now got 5 D league eligible players on the roster.
  14. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think you can add a couple more guys to the Roster Jammer after Ben makes that trade.
  15. Pckast

Pckast First Round Draft Pick

Agree, but I think the line up of FA's who want to come to Detroit will be rather short. They all have seen what kind of minutes benchplayers in Detroit get to play.

Grey hairs don't mean a thing; some people get them even before reaching 25 :ohwell:. And looking at the energy Lindsey provided when he came of the bench during the playoffs, he will be very usefull for a couple of years.
  16. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I love Lindsey, but we need to remember he took the first 2/3's of the season off last year. But then again, if Flip keeps playing the starters 35 minutes a game, Lindsey should still be pretty rested.
  17. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Another reason is that his knee has held up well in his two seasons here, but with starter minutes you might be asking for trouble.
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point lurker.

I can't blame him for that at all. Dude was injured. I'm also sure that if it were up to him, he'd have been able to - and would want to have - gotten back sooner. I'm sure it was Joe and Flip's decision to keep him out longer to ensure that he was ready for the playoffs. The way they were playing, he wasn't needed.

In fact, Hunter is one of the guys that pleaded to Flip for him to play the bench more. He told Flip that he needed to trust the bench.

Billups could have gotten rest just as easily with any number of guys backing him up. Flip just didn't trust them. How many times last season, were the Pistons up by 15 or 20 points with only a few minutes left and ALL of the starters were still in the game?

Flip could have put an untrained monkey in there at that point and still won those games. I'm sure that guys like Acker, AJ, J-Max, Delk, DD, Dice, Delfino and Evans could have done at least as well as monkeys in those situations. Well.... maybe not Evans. But the rest of them for sure. :P

And even if we did lose a couple of those games. Guess what. We STILL win the Division. We STILL finish first in the East and we STILL finish the season with home court throughout. But we'd ALSO have a more rested starting 5, and a more confident bench.
  19. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

right on jammer. its seems any coach who comes here gets so enamoured with this all-star 5 they forget about the bench. call it star lust.

looks like flip might have to snap out of his star lust daydream now we have lost one of them.

why is it they just get so afraid to play the bench? they think that if they don't play the starters all the time they will get chewed out by the media and fans for letting talent sit on the bench. or that the coach can't get in trouble for losing because the best 5 guys were constantly on the court.

you'd think after being an NBA head coach for nearly a decade you'd be man enough to take responsibility for your decisions.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I remember games we were up 20 and he kept them in. It has to take Ben leaving just to make fans more hopeful the bench will play. That's pathetic.