Pistons 2006-07 15-man roster

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 7, 2006.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I remember the bench nearly losing games in the end... there is a reason why Flip didn't trust this bench.
    People always blame Flip but it was Joe who wasn't able to put a solid bench together
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A couple of times, sure. But what I remember as a pattern was a decent margin after three and Flip abandoning the usual rotation with an eye to putting it away with the starters. Then the starters began to tire and the other team made a run and he didn't put anyone in, and the first five ended up finishing and (in general) winning the game.

Oddly, I think the starters tended to play less in the fourth in closer games than in those where they were up big. In close games Flip kept to the rotation, but in ones with a good margin going into the third, he went for the kill with the starters and that often didn't work out well.

50-50 whether this makes any sense at all.
  3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

If Blalock sticks at all, his assignment will be to get better in the D-League. I don't think he's going to be playing with the big boys this year.

If you lose Chauncey or Lindsay for any reason, the next man in line is Acker. And Acker may not be ready to handle the job. Joe's got to be prepared for this scenario.

You might consider using Prince or Delfino as emergency backups, but that's only a short term (one game?) solution.

I still think Joe will add a proven point guard - and still keep the youngsters. Unless Blalock doesn't show enough to warrent keeping around. Chauncey and Lindsay aren't going anywhere for a while.
  4. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

acker is not a point guard. he is really a shooting guard.. i think blalock could be a back up point guard if they give him some time. he had good assists and should have gone much higher in the draft. i also wouldn't mind tony d coming back.
  5. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

All the talk has been of the biannual exception going for a point guard. Unless there's no one left worth signing, you have to figure that's what's going to happen. Welcome back, Chucky Atkins?
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

No Atkins, pleeeeeeeeeeease- as someone else stated yet, he does exactly what Billups does but much worse. I liked him when the Pistons were an average team about 5 years ago, but there should be no space for him any longer. Kind of sad that it seems like we can't get any better players than Delk, Murray or Atkins on the FA market.
    Before this summer started, names like Wells or Harrington were discussed and look how deep we fell, quality- wise.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We need a guy who does what Chauncey doesn't. It forces the opponent to change defensively and it helps a lot. Keep Chauncey and get a penetrating PG.
  8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

well those times when the bench would play would be between 2 weeks of inactivity. you can't play a guy every 2 weeks and expect him to be on his a game when he gets in. joe gave flip a very solid bench. 2 of them are playing for orlando's very solid bench right now. that's bs that we didn't have a solid bench. if flip was so scared of the bench he wouldn't have been playing mo evans.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I thought the bench was good. I remember before last season started I was thinking this bench had the potential to become evn better than the 04 bench. Didn't happen though.:mad:
  10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

So the bench didn't play for 2 weeks or what?
    Arroyo got his minutes on a regular basis.
    Darko is another topic- I don't think it's solely Flip who is to blame but also LB and maybe even Dumars. I really wanted him to get minutes and I'm still mad that Joe D traded him for almost nothing in return so that Orlando got its payback for the Hill trade.
    Still, he played Mc Dyess too. And a little bit of Evans.
    But speaking of a solid bench, I look at teams like the Spurs, Heat or Mavs- they have a solid bench. A solid bench consists of more than just 2 (maybe 3) players. The team had no player on the bench who could provide a spark. Only one player who'd have starter material in Mc Dyess (and even this is questionable, given his health- no one knows if he would remain healthy if he'd play about 30+mpg). No game- changer like Horry, Zo or Wells. No this wasn't that kind of bench you need for a ship.
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i disagree. our bench at the end of the season maybe wasn't the championship type of bench but at the start of the season it was. we had plenty of 7 footers to play with shaq. we had delfino and evans for lebron/wade/jefferson. we had arroyo to backup cb. we had lindsey to provide defensive spark. jmax could have been our corliss type of small forward in spots.

delfino is a game changer, arroyo is a game changer, darko is a game changer, jmax is a game changer they just weren't allowed to be that last year for the pistons.

our bench would never be as good as those other teams because we were based around the best 5 system. those other teams played thier benches on a regular basis and developed them and their bench players even had time in the starting lineup. they had much more oppurtunity to mesh into a good backup unit.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Here is how the bench might look now

G-Flip Murray
    G-Lindsey Hunter/ Alex Acker
    F-Carlos Delfino
    F-Antonio McDyess/ J Max
    C-Dale Davis

Not too bad. Here is what should be our defensive lineup off the bench.

G-Lindsey Hunter
    G-Alex Acker
    F-Carlos Delfino
    F-J Max
    C-Dale Davis

Offensive:

G-Flip Murray
    G-Carlos Delfino
    F-Jason Maxiell
    F-Antonio McDyess
    C-Dale Davis
  13. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Am I right in assuming we have one roster spot still open? We have C.B., Tay, Sheed. Nazr, Rip, and Davis, Dyess, Lindsey, Carlos, Amir, and Jason, Will, Flip, and Dupe. Will we sign Samb or is he definitely going overseas next year? Is there a reason they wanted an empty spot? Is that why they let Acker leave?
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My money is on Rick Rickert getting that last spot.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He actually looked pretty consistent. What a bad name though.
  16. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

I see the roster looking like this

Starters
    1. Billups
    2. Rip
    3. Tay
    4. Sheed
    5. Nazr

Off the Bench earlier in the season
    6. Dice
    7. Delfino
    8. Murray
    9. Hunter
    10. Maxiel
    11. Johnson
    12. Rickert* if he gets final roster spot, if not then Blalock

Dleague or IR
    Blalock

Acker and Samb in Europe

Depth Chart Early in Season

Billups/Flip/Hunter
    Rip/Delfino/Flip/Hunter
    Tay/Delfino/Johnson
    Sheed/Dice/Rickert/Maxiel/Johnson
    Mohamed/Sheed/Maxiel

I hope this is how the chart looks earlier in the season so that the young guys can develop. I would def like to see Delfino average 18-25 mins, Flip 15-20 mins, Maxiel 8-10 mins, Johnson 6-8 and Rickert 6-8.

If the guys dont pan out, then reduce their mins and replace with the vets, Davis and Dupree.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Look who is talking Shaun TaShawn! :P
  18. MaxieltheBeast

MaxieltheBeast Second Round Draft Pick

Nazr will be the starting center,not Mcdyce.He is the backup PF
  19. MaxieltheBeast

MaxieltheBeast Second Round Draft Pick

More like

Billups/Hunter/Blalock
    Hamilton/Murray/Delfino
    Prince/Dupree/Johnson
    Wallace/Mcdyce/Maxiel/Rickert
    Mohammed/Davis
  20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You don't know how appropriate that question will be this season.