Pistons/76ers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jan 26, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Philly is really playing well in this early abbreviated season, they're #1 in their division! And while they have no superstar they do have a deep and talented rotation, let's compare theirs to ours.

PG: Holiday (Knight) / Williams (Stuckey) - Holiday DOES what we eventually want Knight to be able to do on a nightly basis. Holiday has better Ast numbers and shoots it at a better FG%. Now compare Williams to Stuckey. Williams is their "off the bench" combo guard and Stuckey is ours, Williams is scoring more a shooting a little better, Stuck is dishing it better. The nod goes to Philly in this dept, BARELY.

SG: Meeks (Gordon) / Turner (Stuckey) - This dept shouldn't even be close, but it is. While Gordon is clearly the better starting SG, he doesn't fulfill his role as good as Meeks. Meeks is actually playing much more efficiently than Gordon. Turner is giving them 10.6 ppg, 6.2rpg and just under 3 apg OFF THE BENCH!

SF: Igoudala (Tay) / Turner (Daye*) - Iggy is superior to Tay, period. Turner is superior to Daye, period. But, ideally Daye should be giving us the type of off the bench production that Turner gives Philly, but unfortunately he isn't.

PF: Brand (Ben) / Young (JJ) - Brand is better than Ben, but they play 2 different roles, but Brand wouldn't be a bad partner for GM upfront. JJ Vs Young, this is close, they play almost exactly alike, but Young is clearly the more talented, more athletic player, but JJ closes the gap with his heart and hustle; but Young is a great hustle guy too! But remember Young was a lottery pick and makes twice what JJ makes. Good job by Joe to get a guy like JJ in the 2nd rd.

C: Hawes (Monroe) / Vucevic (Max) - Monroe beats Hawes by a mile, but Hawes is extremely productive and does what his team needs him to do and he has REAL help upfront. Vucevic is a legit backup center with size, Max shouldn't even be in an NBA rotation.

Overall, I think our starters can be better than Philly's if we upgrade Tayshaun Prince. The issue is the bench, they bring Lou Williams, Evan Turner and Thaddeus Young off the Bench. Ideally we SHOULD have the edge here; Stuckey, Daye, JJ, and CV; but Daye has been pathetic, CV hasn't even played and when he does play........pathetic, Stuckey has been.....eh, JJ is decent.

In summation, I think if we can put it all together, there's no reason why we shouldn't be as good or even better than Philly........once we get Anthony Davis and Wilson Chandler.
  2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Nice post. The main difference between Philly and Detroit is depth and consistency. This Philly team reminds me a little of that first Carlisle team, but with more talent. Everybody knows their role, and the bench is consistently productive. Philly has an advantage this year that won't exist in the future. Rolling nine deep is a serious advantage when half your games are back-to backs. Detroit might be able to go six or seven deep, and their lack of quality depth hurts them disproportionally.

We desperately need another big man who can defend the paint and a wing player who can consistently give us 20+ ppg without being a complete chucker. Hopefully the draft will give us one of those two things, preferably the big. I still have hope for Daye. I actually like Stuckey for 25 mpg off of the bench. I've lost all faith in Gordon, although I hope that I'm wrong. J-Max would actually be a decent 10-15 minute guy if he wasn't such a tub.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That was a nice post...about time, Kgreg! LOL
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

KGREG, you're "very conviently" forgetting one but very important fact. sixers have rebuilt since Larry Brown left from there and...that was long ago. Pistons,un officialy has entered to rebuilding phase couple of years ago. Heck, Dumars finally has confessed...
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Am I the only one who gets fired up when they show interview clips during the games of Joe in his office slumped over his desk wearing a sweatshirt? He's like George Costanza.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No, regardless of how long they have been rebuilding, their current personnel group and overall talent level is eerily similar to ours. The difference as stated above is that #1-They're consistent, although it took a while for them to get there. #2-They all know and thrive in their respective roles. If THIS Piston team could do those 2 things we could be a pretty decent team. Truthfully I'm way too in love with the idea of getting Anthony Davis or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to hope it all happens THIS year.
  7. BillLaimbeer

Atta boy....Ping pong balls! Ping pong balls! Ping pong balls! Ping pong balls! Ping pong balls! Ping pong balls......
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Ah,all it takes some years. For non-market teams rebuilding process usually costs atleast 5+ years or so. Unless you are really lucky and find true superstar with your pick(s): CP3, Kevin Durant, etc.
  9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Bill, Bill, Bill...so what. You will get it anyway. And now what?
  10. BillLaimbeer

This is what:
    [​IMG]
  11. pass99

Your summation is tough love. That emphasis of yours in numbers (5) is very much a long tail.
    What is your goal? What is your dividing line?
    My goal is the playoffs. This is the hump line.
    Be careful...it can be 3, 5, or ten.
    Does it not all have much in understanding the power of excessive energy?
    Throw (in your best) everything at it. The power is not the concentrated target, but in the residual off-shoot of creative adaptations.
    Gores needs to start spending.
  12. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I figure this is the 4th rebuilding year of 10.........due to non-creative adaptations.........
    pass99 likes this.
  13. pass99

I like it. For me it starts with Gores. You can't pull a Mister D. By spending you save years and Ainge proved that. JD fell in love with all the attention. Ainge is much more secure in how you get better. Gores will learn and he will get a ruthless GM.
    Nemo likes this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Ruthless is the adjective that should best describes our potential GM candidates......