Pistons All Over The News Regarding Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 12, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Actually, a bit of revisionist history here.

Bill D. already planned to fire LB before he won the title. So that was nearly a year before the NY thing.

Second, Flip Saunders was already on the hook to be hired in February of the title defense season, which again, pre-dated the NY thing.

As the facts have come out, it seems to me that LB did what he had to do given that he knew his fate in Detroit was sealed.

That's not to defend LB, who is as big of a scoundrel as anyone, but in this situation, the blame is on Bill D being disloyal to LB and the fans, before it was LB being disloyal to the fans and organization.

And on Ben, Joe never made an offer IIRC. He thought he was so clever, he let everyone else set Ben's market value, and when they set it high, Joe never offered anything back.

I would be interested to know if he actually made an offer to Ben, so if I am wrong, by all means correct me on this one.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    IIRC KGreg was throwing those numbers around.

3. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Joe offered him about $48 million over 4, and Chi came in after and offered him $60 million. Can't find an outside link, but here's a forum thread talking about it:

http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit-pistons-general-discussion/3335-ben-meet-bulls-8.html

4. roscoe36

Thanks Blue, and good to see you around.

I tried to use archive.org to pull that article, and there was no content in the archive on the one day they have logged for it.

I'm going to search around now, because it bothers me that my memory isn't complete on that period.

5. roscoe36

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not sure how or when...but I am SO going to be using THIS...over...and over...and over again:stirthepot::pound:...:pound::stirthepot:

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Now, Now Tate that was 3-4 years ago, even some links are broken.
    I got dubbs on the signature.

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

People's Daily Online -- Bulls to sign Wallace for four-year contract

Actually, this Pistons started with something like 11.5M thinking they would outsmart Ben making him feel like he's won something if he negotiated up to 12M per (which is what the team wanted to pay in the 1st place). Plus, throwing their support strongly behind Saunders who spent the better part of a full season doing a yeoman's job of alienating the Giant Clock. Combined that with a non-negotiable max offer from CHI and it's bye-bye Ben.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-

Ben Wallace, a four-time Defensive Player of The Year, is leaving the Detroit Pistons to sign as a free agent with the Chicago Bulls, according to American sports channel ESPN Monday.
    The free-agent will sign a four-year, about 52 million U.S. dollar deal that have made him the highest-paid player on the team next season with a salary of 11.5 million U.S. dollars.
    The Chicago Tribune reported Monday that the Pistons offered Wallace a four-year, 48 million dollars deal.
    "It was disappointing," Wallace was quoted by the newspaper of the Pistons' offer. "It was not at all what I expected."
    -
    {Quote: Peoples Daily Online}
    -
    I don't see how that's backing Twitch? That's still big bucks.

10. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Roscoe, you are right about Bill D. deciding to get rid of Brown ever before we won the championship in 2004. Bill D. admitted that in what I think was the last interview he ever gave (in September 08). Said the only reason he didn't fire Brown after the 04 season was that we won the championship, and that he probably would not have kept him on if we had repeated in 05. We've posted the interview here on the forum before (it also has some good info on his relationship with Zeke), but here are the relevant excerpts again on the L. Brown dismissal:

Q: When did you decide he was out?
    A: Ah, probably after I’d been with him for half a season.
    Q: Half a season?
    A: Yeah, that’s all.
    Q: But you let him continue to coach?
    A: Well, we won that year.
    Q: What if they had won against San Antonio?
    A: Uh, probably not. I can’t tell you. … It depends on the players. The reason I get rid of a coach is if he’s lost the players. I don’t want to subject my players to a coach they don’t want, basically and in whom they have lost faith.
    Q: Did you feel that was the case with Larry?
    A: Oh, yeah.

PistonPowered » Blog Archive » Davidson was one of the best

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This explains a lot.

12. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Does it really? Davidson said he wanted to get rid of Brown halfway into the 03-04 season. Is there any reason to believe the players had lost faith in him at that point? And even after the 04-05 season, in which the team came within a quarter of winning it all again under Brown, what evidence is there that the players had lost faith in him? We have heard plenty about the players developing a low regard for Flip and Curry (and maybe having personality issues with Rick C.), but I always had the sense that they respected Brown.

13. max

max All-Star

Its hard to analyse the LB thing since the reporters at the time were not willing to rock the boat and report on it out fear of getting ostracized by Dumars. Yes now the Palace goes out of its way to get some press but back then Pistons management held all the cards.

What I do know is that LB put a wet blanket on the 04 championship parade by declaring that he may retire and followed it up by advising his 04 staff to take other opportunities if they came along. Hence he lost his 04 coaching staff. That may have been when it really started to reach the tipping point - I don't know.

I don't know when it started but I think its safe to say that the blame lies on both sides and Dumars did not wake up one day in the summer of 05 and decide to fire LB out of the blue as some believe.

Best case scenerio would have been to work things out but that did not happen. I have to wonder if LB wanted to leave while on top and live on in Piston memory as a guy who could not miss. Perhaps one title was all he wanted so he could go back to his usual role of developing teams. Look at the type of teams he has decided to coach since then - none of them being immediate contenders.

One thing - he never had to worry about his next coaching gig, opportunities were always there for him.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Always thought the "dream job" thing was overblown.

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You are on the right path. LB has always been the type of creative vagabond. For him the sniffing of creative juices is just another mountain to climb. Mr. D was use to owning the whole mountain. It is important to understand that even mountains have certain striations. At the higher elevations, you have associations (as an accepted a climber, even with half-way-rigid-anaerobic resting stations) that demand a certain proprietary respect level. The usual flaw, in these type of situations, are power levels whose whole life existence awaits for those eventual flaws to happen. And happen they will. The question too ask: has the institution become a petrified forest because of incest? Certainly, the baton-pass from Wilson to Ostfield, is a way-station for stability (cap = decision boundaries) within a very rigid cave-dwelling atmosphere.

New climate possibilities = owner change. Will it be snow-boots or Hawaiian shirts? And no (good try), you can no longer have the option of having both. The devil's secret is that he collects all remnants thrown out of your closet.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Harris is already available. The Nets don't want him.

And neither do I.

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I can understand that.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

=-
    Mr. D must've been an overly sensitive prick to want to bang LB half way in to the 04 season. Why, because they hung around .500 for a while.
    Imagine if D were still alive!!!!!!!!
    -
    As for LB, I love a guy that will piss into the wind.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is one of the few times when you can use the expression that "someone is rolling or turning his his grave" that we know Mr. D is experiencing this right now based on how his beloved Pistons are performing.

:rip:

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Mr. D would have rather seen the team lose than have it be run by a bad person.