PISTONS ALLSTAR BREAK REVIEW or "following my doctor's advice"

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Feb 17, 2009.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

November 3, 2008. The pistons, 4-0, trade Chauncey Billups to Denver for Allen Iverson.

And the air was let out of a 6 year balloon that was probably more 'hot air' than helium. At that point, this era of DEEtroit basketball was handed it's death notice and the Pistons, for 2009 anyway, has regulated itself to the normalcy of just another team with a star attraction. I was looking at my poster of the 2004 team and the eye of the tiger has definetly left this team. Billups WAS the soul (albeit not THE HEART) of this current squad and what he DID bring to the table for this franchise is not evident in the player we acquired for him: THE KEY WORD BEING 'STABILITY'.

THUS, the following grades (name, ppg,rpg and apg);

IVERSON 18.2, 3.2,5.0: One thing can not be denied about AI-his heart driven intensity. AI is a motorized cornucopia of ebbs and flows. Unfortunately, so is his inconsistency. Iverson's acquisition has been more of a distraction than an attraction. It is the one reason why ICONIC trades never seem to work out, because you always seem to spend the entire season comparing the two. It is why you dont trade Jordan for Drexler or James for Bryant. I expected so much more in this deal, but i will say AI has been 'hampered' by an inadequate coaching staff. But then again,,'coaches' don't shoot for the players either.

GRADE: B-

RIP 17.4, 3.0, 3.6: So , you went to the bench for the good of the team. BIG DEAL. Rip's initial distraction due to his reaction to the Cb trade, set this team back for the entire year. Failing to acknowledge what happens before teams take the court gives a distorted view of NBA reality. Emotions in after camp/midseason deals are very important(see the Sheed pick up in 04), so rest in Peace, Rip of old. THAT SAID, Rip has been very good lately...too bad THE TEAM has been very bad...And its time to take that DANG MASK OFF!

SHEED 13.0, 7.6. 1.36 blocks ...If I was to tell you those numbers were Andrew Bogut's, you would be calling him an average to so-so player. why does Wallace get such a pass? In a season where Wallace needed to 'step up' his game, Rasheeda has femininely decided to just play when he 'feels' like playing. His wild turnaround jumpers from the corner notwithstanding, Wallacewoman has played 1572 minutes and has ATTEMPTED, get this, 72 FREE THROWS!! COMPARE this to Jason maxiel who in 61% fewer minutes, has attempted 89 free throws. Nuff said.

GRADE: C-

PRINCE 13.7, 6.3, 3.3... If Tay was the 6th man, that I always clammored him to be, his numbers would be exceptional. But of all the members of the Goldmedal Olympic Team playing today, OUR Tay has the lowest average. I still believe despite all the 'hype' bestowed upon him, Tay's numbers are what we THOUGHT THEY WERE. He is 13pts and 6 rebs which means he can get 20 pts one night and 7 pts the next. He's average and we need to accept that. Also, his defense is not as good as hyped either. But i can credit that to many nights playing out of position.

GRADE: C

MCDYESS 7.3, 8.6 (15.6 reb per 48 min)...Dyess has been as tenacious on the boards as any piston since Ben. true, his legs have seen better days, but can you imagine Wallace having the desire to excel that Dyess does. However, he concedes WAy too much on offense and can be beaten on baseline and pick and rolls on defense. He needs to stay our 7th man, but I guess Curry knows what he's doing. (thats called sarcasm)

GRADE: B

STUCKEY 13.7, 3.4, 4.9 ...I dont know who's 'wise guy' attitude thought The Butler was ready to be a starter, but lets just say when he became one, the chances for a title dimminished to nothing. The last rookie point guard to take his team to the Finals was Magic and HE had Norm Nixon to share from. Stuckey IS a rookie in my eyes, beacuse he is learning his role on the go. But let's just say that his future is bright. He is strong and relentless to the rack. He is a sharp passer, but his defensive instincts are not there yet. I believe that if Billups were here, he'd still have the same numbers , but our record would be 10 games better.

GRADE: B

BENCHIES: AMIR, MAX AND AFFLALO....What a waste of , if not talent, at least 'effort' players. These three have tenacity and uncapped ferociousness. The system here does not play to their strengths: trapping, going to the hole and playing above the rim. I think they have all played well WHEN allowed to play and never slack when on the floor.

rest of the bench: KWAME, BYNUM, FABIO....I guess someone hasto keep the seats warm. Brown is exactly the player he has always been. he has no IQ, much less an NBA one. Still, NOT playing at all was the wrong move, as well. Bynum has the guts, but only for 5 minutes a night before he thinks HE is chris Paul-light. Herrmann? geez.

GRADE: D+

COACHES: CURRY, COWENS, PAT AND WALKER....If anyone expected a coach WITH NO PRIOR HEAD COACHING EXPIRIENCE, to lead this team anywhere ESPECIALLY without the one guy who was supposed to be his coach on the floor(Billups) this season, that person no less about LIFe than basketball. That's all that needs to be said. hard to blame Curry for Joe's mistake, but.....at least he WAs 4-0 with Billups.

GRADE: D

OVERALL, THIS SEASON can not overlook the very poor decision of Dumars' to hire curry and trade billups. He is reaping what he has sown and we are forced to eat the produce from his garden.

Excuse me, while i regurgitate.

GRADE: D
  2. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

:bounce:Oh geez... lololol

Although he is such an underachieving waste of talent, it seems like he's the one that gets the most rope... at least to some of the regs. While some would make Chauncey the face of our falling short, it is without a doubt Sheed IMO. At least Chauncey made an attempt to be a leader, although he might not have been the fiery one that we have have all wanted.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good Analysis HQ...did the doctor approve this before you wrote it??

Agree with the Sheed shenalogy...

I would probably downgrade the AMIR, MAX AND AFFLALO bench to a C or C+ as the three of them are still inconsistent when getting PT and all three should be better or ahead of where they are in skillsets.

What was Joe's grade a D too or was that just for the overall team???
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Joe's grade IS the team's grade. :stirthepot:
  5. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Great review HQ, very amusing read.
  6. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Rip can't take his mask off he likes a good looking nose.
  7. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Thanks Skool HQ...Good analysis.