Pistons and free agents

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jul 1, 2010.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I guess there will be talks and rumors, so I figured we might as well have one thread rather than starting multiples.

Currently the word has it that Pistons seem to be talking to Brendan Haywood and Matt Barnes as well as their own players - Ben Wallace and Will Bynum.

Please feel free to chime in and discuss or add any new rumors and news regarding Pistons' free agent pursuit.
  2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No word on the contractual status of Kwame "Cut a Rug" Brown, Will "The Thrill" Bynum or Ben Wallace yet except that Joe Dumars "contacted" them after midnight. Matt Barnes and Brendan Haywood were also reportedly "contacted", though between the two, I would rather obtain Haywood. A most exciting time indeed, even if we're ensnared within the confines of the mid-level exception. Hopefully Joe Dumars scores a four point play in free agency.
  3. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm thinking Joe won't use the MLE this summer unless he can make a trade to free up more cap room. For Will I'm thinking about 5 years / $20Million (first year would be $3.5M), because what Will gets will probably set precedent for Stuckey this summer. Offer Ben a $5M deal, whether we spend teh MLE has everything to do with what our team and salary situation looks like after a trade.
  6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think that Bynum will sign for 5 years.. I think he is looking for something shorter.. like 3 years..
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

There is not a single player in the league looking to sign a shorter contract, especially with a looming lockout and changes to the CBA on the horizon.
  8. mikhail1973

According to the latest rumor Pistons offered their full MLE to Haywood. They also may have a sizable offer for Barnes.
    Another source says that the team might have a commitment today from Bynum and that would set a few other things in motion.
    I wonder what are those things...
  9. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Getting Haywood would be a big step in fixing the problems at the 5. He is the best FA center out there. But with Amir and Darko getting big money, MLE, although fair for a guy that is 30 will probably not get the job done. Also if JD uses the full MLE he has to trade Rip for capp spayce, or else he might not have the money to extend Stuckey and Jerebko next season.
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...but Haywood is not very good. I can't really tell if he's one step above or below Eric Dampier in the Giant Stiff Dept.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If that is true, Tay must be as good as GONE! But that kinda pisses me off, all these years where we needed a backup for Tay, I was ALWAYS clamoring to go after Matt Barnes, he's sooooo underrated, always works hard, can knock down the trey, always outplays his contract and expectations...ALWAYS! And some off brand team would eventually sign him with the bi-annual exception or the vet minimum, now we have 4 good SF's, and NOW you wanna make a run at this guy? WTH!!!

Naw Low, Haywood had a really good season, he's basically a 10&10 guy with 2blks/per.....now was that just a guy in his contract year......
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, but a guy who gets you 10 and 10 in a contract year is going to give you Darko style numbers the rest of the time. I'm not sure I'm ready for another Nazr type contract.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's the first thought that came to my head after I hit the submit post button.....touche!
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Haywood is amongst the dumber players in the L. He'll fit right in at least...........
  15. max

max All-Star

I would not spend too much for Haywood. It's been crazy so far. Such of a players market now that I would not blame Dumars if he just sat this one out. We already have several bad contracts on the books.

I don't understand how GM's and owners get drunk on cap space and then turn around and give the type of contracts we have been seeing that everyone knows they are going to regret.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Agree. We are not gonna win anything this year anyway so I don't want to see any expensive mediocre veterans joining as FA:s who will retire when this team is ready to challange.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would allow the team to shed a guard.
  18. mikhail1973

You mean trading Rip?
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rip or Gordon. I don't really care which. I think Rip's a better player, but by the time the team is good again, he won't be.

Gordon had an off year, so I'd be interested to see him when he's on, but I'm just not into one-dimensional scoring types.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think you're under estimating or maybe forgetting how good Bengo is when he's on