1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons At Cavaliers ~ December 31st, 2005

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We were outhustled by a good team

Plain and simple. They took it to us. We were ripe for the picking and they obliged us. Lee, Evans was as bad as Chauncey, Tay, and Arroyo to name a few. Take your pick. I pick all four. But we are not going to win them all and winning 70 is probably not a worthy goal. Lets keep home court and go from there. I was watching the Cleveland offense. We will stop them when the time comes. They have no half court game to speak of. And, they can not guard Sheed at all and can not stay with Rip. What I worry about a bit is our poor perimeter defense (Wade, Le Bron, Ginobli). We don't seem to have a perimeter stopper. That could be a problem. As for Evans in particular, if he doesn't start hitting that three, his rebounding won't matter.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good news

I responded to Murph at the other board, who was bemoaning that we did not have a small forward who could guard James. I thought I would post it here to:

Murph, guess again. I have been watching, in frame by frame, Delfino's defense of James. Not bad at all. That first drive, to the right, Delfino not only stayed with every move James made, when James finally went up for the shot, Delfino did not just block the shot. He cleanly got both hands on the ball and it should have been a jump ball.

Next, James drive to the left. James lowered his shoulder and got away with it. In a series, this stuff won't be allowed. We will complain after the first game and that will be that.

We also got burned a couple of times because Sheed played off Marshall, which is a mistake. As it turns out, Delfino does not need the help. Next time around, Sheed can stay home on his guy.

Frankly, it amazes me what I saw. Delfino is cat quick. He responded to everything James did immediately and correctly. I am talking instantaneous response to anything James tried to pull. Great balance. And good height and ups at the end of a play to block a shot. (Or in one case, actually grab the ball. Man was that good.)
    </B></B></B>

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Dude, just no. Look, we were down 6 when Evans came in. Evans own personal mistakes (always his except for in two instances) gave Cleveland a score every single time down. And we only scored one time, on a strictly one on one move from Prince. This put us down 19 before Evans came out of the game.

Sure some players did not have good games. But some did. And Cleveland ain't all that. We should have won the game.

Sorry, you just can't dismiss a minus 13 performance by one player when that player single handedly for the most part gave the other team a bucket time after time. And on offense, the guy just sat there in his spot. Real hard for the other team to defend that, right. Evans gave us nothing, and the other team everything, in that stretch of about 4 minutes. Ugly. No way will I just say we lost just because.

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Delfino

I remember that play. Clearly, a block on Delfino. Delfino has improved his defense, but he's no Dumars yet.

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

YOUR worst post ever

Lee, we played a bad game.Period. Nothing really to evaluate. No team ever went 79 and 3. Here are some flaws in your reasoning:
    1.Arroyo and Delfino CANT guard anybody. The reason our bench is in is to rest the FabFive and score some points. If they dont score, they dont play. Arroyo has had a great year, just not tonight.
    2. U say Chauncey was throwing it all over the place.More than Arroyo. Um...maybe cuz Los played only 7 minutes, 0-2 fg, 2 assist , 3 to's. That's 15 turnovers if he played 35 minutes,Lee. Chauncey( I call him by his first name when he has a bad game)had 6 in 37 minutes. So dont ever compare these two.
    3. Enuf with the Evans bashing. OK, u hate him WE GET IT. But I never see a poor EFFORT from him. like with the europeans. I see him in a new role when Lindsay comes back. But he needs time to grow with this team. The same time frame we gave to Dice, Dos Los, and even Tayshaun. Anybody who tries to find flaws every time someone 'touches' the ball, 'obviously' never played the game.
    4. Dice was "off"? He was 4-8. 50% is even, not off. Tay and Chauncey (4-23) were OFF.
    Happy New year...we still love ur posts tho, my bruddah!

6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

dat's right

People remember CHAMPIONSHIPS...not records!My bruddah..

7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

There was no run....

6 points is not "a run". There was no way, nor reason to think. that we were gonna win this game. o well,,,,

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Great post

....he said sarcastically...This is a TEAM game and we dont need someone to go 30, 7 and 7 like Bron to win a game. Teams that play us 'always' have to bring their "A" game. Always!!!! We didnt even bring our "B" game and still "couldhave" pulled this out. That is why we are the beat team over a 7 game series with anybody. That is what this team is built to do. Can U bring us your A game 4 out of 7? No one can...not against us!!

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The game was not over early.

With a little over 3 minutes to go, Delfino drives in and gets fouled across the face hard. First, of course this should have been a flagrant foul, us getting free throws and the ball back. We did at least get the foul call. Delfino made the first, but missed the next. Score, us 10 down. After the miss, the ball clearly went off Cleveland, but the officials missed the call and gave it to Cleveland. With a good call and a hoop, we are right back into the game. Instead, Bron steps back and nails a three on Tay. Just wonder if he still makes that shot under a bit more pressure.

We were just down 14 to end the half. We knocked the lead down to 10 in the 3rd. They went up by 20. We knocked the lead down to 11 early in the 4th. They went back up 16. We got it down to 10 with plenty of time to go. Lots of little runs by the Pistons. Not a blowout at all, not a forgone conclusion that we were going to lose the game.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good reply.

On Dyess, obviously, when I rewatched the game I saw he was doing pretty good in the first half. My memory was telling me about his 2nd half.

On hating Evans, no. I just watch closely. Can't help noticing his mistakes. Each time he shoots the ball, he just stands there admiring his shot. The other team is fast breaking. Get with the program already. What I don't get about that is why the coach did not chew him a new one during halftime about that and why Evans did it more in the 2nd half.

If you like Evans, go ahead and point out all the times he handled the ball well for us in a set resulting in points for the team. Or point out once where he played good D against a decent player of Clevelands. Or where Evans even got close to hitting a shot. Praise him all you want. Go ahead.

I will compare Arroyo and CB for sure. Two of the best in the league on assist to turn ratios. Both had bad games on the turnover front. CB his worst of the year. I threw that in there to avoid the usual Arroyo bashers.

On Arroyo's defense, so far, this rep about him not being a decent defender is not proving to be accurate at all. Where in the Cleveland game do you see him playing bad D?

Delfino also we thought was going to light on D. Ain't been the case. Listen to his coach. Per the announcers, the coach said Delfino did fine at times on Wade and Flip was going to trust Delfino to guard Bron. More than just words, Flip did have Delfiino guard Wade. And for about 4 or 5 minutes in this game, Flip had Delfino guarding Bron.

In contrast, Flip had Evans guard Bron on one play, and it was a disaster for us, with Bron waltzing in unimpeded to the basket. You say Delfino can't defend. Well, Evans came to this team with a rep as a good defender. Do you still believe Evans can defend better than Delfino? And what do you think Flip thinks on this now?

And Happy New Year.

11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I thought the game was over early by seeing the way we were missing shots and playing.Your last paragraph says it all that's what we do to other teams and the Cavs turned it around on us.Games like this happen we've seen it time and again maybe I had my rose colored glasses on during the Miami game but the way we were playing you knew nothing they did or whatever run they made we would answer.

The Cavs were the better team today.Will they beat us in a series?No way no how.Unless Evans is on the playoff roster then we will lose in the first round.:loco:

12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Have to respectfully disagree, first Delfino did play pretty good D, and considering it was against LeBron, that's pretty darn good.

2nd, I agree people shouldn't just be looking for flaws from peoples game, sometimes guys do play well, and people still keep criticizing them. Hmm, like maybe Delfino? Evans has played poorly lately, and deserves every bit of criticizm, when he plays better, I'll be there supporting him, and talking about how well he plays.

13. max

max All-Star

Game

Last year Pistons lost both games in Cleveland 76-91 and 76-92. Second loss was in March when the Pistons were playing well. The Pistons won the one game at the Palace 81-69.

Pistons have some trouble with the Cavs. When James is able to command a double team and the other players are making plays they are tough. Then Illgauskaus can use his height against our much shorter players and Gooden usually crashes the glass. When you get a game like that when players are not hitting shots they usually make - forget it.

Doesn't mean anything for this season. Clev is still to inexperienced and have proven again and again that they cannot win big games on the road. Until they can do that they are not a real threat.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Did we show King James a "Your Highness" love fest?

Maybe it was part of a wild NewYears Eve but did I see everybody hugging KingJ? If there is one guy that could do what MJ did, stop a Piston Dynasty, it's KingJ. Maybe 5 or 10 years from now but we don't need to be respecting KingJ!:mad: KingJ-----> :caked: <---Tay
    So the mood was set: King J love fest. Flip lost this game. If you want to work your bench why against the best player at home and why use bench guys on him. That's a harsh learning curve. If we wanted this game our starters would have to play 40 plus min., and I got no problem with that. Take the W.
    Did we once take the ball out of KingJs hands?:ohwell: :confused:

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

the refs gave lebron his birthday present by making horrible calls that game against the pistons game. with the loss and the spurs win we are only up 1.5 games again. this team has yet not lost consecutive games and it should be fairly easy to keep it that way for now with our next game at home against orlando.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What if they want to go love fest with Hill? I'll be happy with a 20 pt win or a 8 pt win with heavy bench.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Just to make sure I've got this right?
    356 says most of the problems in this game related to Evans's 12 minutes (:blah:)... and Delfino is the defensive answer to Labron?
    Ok that's all I need to confirm BBall IQ.

Could it be that most of the players played poorly... or is it worth 5 paragraphs on a bench player?

New resolution ... put Lee on ignore list (too bad the Det News didn't have this feature).

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bad calls

The first two drives by James were carries, pure and simple. You could hear our guys bellyaching about it. And James with an expression of "what are you talking about." He cleaned up his act after that, but those two bad calls helped give Cleveland that initial 16-11 lead.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ignore list

i tried to put you on my ignore list, but found out its not possible since you are a moderator. So please do me the favor and do not comment on my posts further. I really don't need the harassment.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: Ignore list

i really don't care about beating the bulls record as long as the pistons get the best record. because as a fan it's kind of fun seeing if your team will make history, but i just want this team to get homecourt. it would so much easier to win with the best fans behind you unlike our last 2 runs.

i think we did poorly because we had a big homestand, and then the team went on the road for one game and it slovwed them down. in the pistons 3 previous losses they beat there next opponent by an average of 15 points, hope the trend continues.