Pistons At Pacers, February 4th, 2006

Discussion in 'February 2006 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pistons At Pacers

February 4th, 2006 ~ 8:00pm
    Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
    TV: WDIV / NBATV
    Radio:WDFN

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your Comments?
    GUESS THE SCORE!
    ~~
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I thought Jamaal Tinsley was there starting PG?
  3. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

tinsley

maybe its a prediction that by february he will be injured... :crutch:
  4. special ed

special ed First Round Draft Pick

Re: tinsley

Pretty safe bet considering Tin is in his name. Out right now with a torn biceps but I'm thinking that by this game he should be back and Carlisle playing him 40 minutes per until he breaks down again.
  5. special ed

Wrong again. He returns last night and hurts his elbow.
    The real question for this game is if Artest will be in another team's uni by this game, and Bonzi is suited up with the Pacers?
  6. special ed

Missed on that one. The real thing here is that the NBA had to have some huge marketing thing in mind to boost this game the night before the Super Bowl. Instead, it turns out to be just another regular season matchup.
    Another thing I notice is that while the Pacers starting 5 probably won't be known until gametime (given JO and Foster's injuries and Artest's moonbeam demand), the Pistons starting 5 is a lock.
    Pacers could be Harrison at the 5 with Granger and Peja at the 3 and 4 and Jackson and AJ at the guards. Totally different than what's pictured here.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Is Jackson playing? Is Foster playing?

Peja has not done well in the 2 games played against us while he was with the Kings. No difference now that he is a Pacer. Pacer's bigs always seem to play a decent game against us. After the heavy minutes the Wallaces played against the Sixers 24 hrs ago, will the have enough legs left??? That is the question. As long as our bigs keep their bigs off the paint and the defensive boards, we should be 40-6. We really got to box out on the defensive boards. Hopefully, we can see Dale Davis in this one.
  8. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

My feeling is that Fred Jones gets the go at the 2 and AJ moves over to the point. AJ matches up well with Chauncey in the past but while AJ has been more miss than hit this year, CB has been lights out.
    4th game in 5 nights for the Pistons? Who in gawd's name would ever schedule any games like that?
    Ah, never mind. Would be real impressive if the Pistons pull this game out given that schedule. I'm interested in how Sarunas and Peja look against the best. Harrison might show his game is growing too.
  9. Sycamore Sam

And if that dated pic of RC in the right corner doesn't get folks around here worked, I don't think anything will!
    Pacers 89-82.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

the game is just not the same without ron and jermaine. pistons 93-79.
  11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

And I would love to see us treat them just as the situation indicates. Blow them out by the end of three. Don't letum hang around.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i'll go with you there.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i just went into chat and it was empty!! SA and Dallas catchin up!!

all i gotta say about this one is ... woops!! hehe
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

first half:

Two new twists tonight. One, Arroyo came in after 3 minutes when Billups picked up his 2nd foul. Early in his stint, him and the other 4 guys out there looked like strangers, but they settled down, at least on the offensive end. We were shooting 60% late in the 1st quarter. On defense, Anthony Johnson used a pick to hit an outside shot, and backed Arroyo down once for a bucket. Johnson continued to go after Arroyo, but got no more. Arroyo got one bucket himself and a hesitation move ending in an uncontested layup for him. He missed a few shots too. But he handed back Billups a three point lead to start the 2nd quarter.

On the defensive side of things, our starters, both before Arroyo came in and after, could not clear the defensive glass. Its like, all the sudden they don't do windows. Indiana volunteered to do the job, swiping 14 offensive boards in the opening quarter. So in comes Dale Davis, and that non-sense stopped. Good job Dale. Dale also hit both his free throws, and got a bucket off an assist from Delfino on a fast break. Dale was in for a pretty good stretch there.

For much of the 2nd quarter, we had Billups in with four bench players, Evans, Delfino, Dyess, and Davis. They held their own. Don't read the rest of this paragraph though if you are a fan of Mo Evans. Anyone we put Mo on scored, and they scored all too easily. And to make up for that? Nothing from him on offense. Hey, Indiana is a good team, what did you expect.

Delfino played some good D. Whereas Jackson for instance was a bit too physical for Rip to handle, Jackson trying to back Delfino down resulted in a very weak shot that barely made it to the rim. Jackson used about 12 straight head fakes, and finally a drive in to pick up a foul on Delfino later, but thats it. Delfino hit one shot, and led two fast breaks that led to scores. One of the fast breaks was from his knockaway and steal. Delfino also missed a couple of shots.

Tay has knocked down some shots. So has Rip. Got to say, Rip has gone from can't drive without turning it over, to be effective at driving in, to becoming a master at driving in, all right in front of our eyes.

Sheed hit a triple early, but has been doing damage from closer in. CB, I think he has made some free throws. Ben? Where is Ben? Can't say much positive about Ben so far. Clear those boards in the 2nd half. GO PISTONS!!!!! Oh, and Dyess has hit some shots.

First of all, don't feel too sorry for Indiana. Sure they got some guys out. But how much respect around here do we all give Tinsley exactly? Not much. Artest has been replaced by Peja, a fine player. I know we hear Indiana is looking to trade the guy yet, but you know, he looks pretty good for Indiana. Anyone notice he had 10 assists, in just his 2nd game for them, their last game? And finally, sure O'Neal is out, but look at Danny Granger. The guy can play.

Billups was not exactly Mr. Big Shot tonight. The announcers, for him, and all the Pistons, kept bemoaning tired legs. But like one poster mentioned, Delfino made a couple of shots. Why not let him shoot more? And Rip, man, sure he missed the long guns, but he sure was hitting everything else. He was not that tired. Sheed was doing enough damage in the post, and Tay actually made some shots. Man, we were outplayed. Outhustled. By a team that had been resting several days for us, at home, picking apart everything we ever did this season. Quite an advantage. Lets just say its more Indiana being raring to go more than us being all that tired.

All in all, our bench played quite a few minutes for a tight game anyway. Evans made no appearance in the 2nd half. Arroyo and Delfino came in at the same time. We got back into the game a bit with those two in. But I am still not satisfied. They should have left Prince out there, and had Delfino be the primary scoring option. Then bring Rip in for the rest of the game. Just my opinion. Basically, I am chomping at the bit waiting to see three good ball handlers, Arroyo, Delfino, and Tay, all in at once for us.

Another guy who did not play in the 2nd half sure should have. Dale Davis brought great energy in the first half, so why not play him in the 2nd. Show people what is needed to get minutes around here.

Offensive rebounds in the 20's for Indiana. Crazy. Next game we play them,lets tell our starters they are coming right out of the game if they start by going on strike as far as the glass work. Davis is more than willing to take their minutes.

Man, I got to mention once more the contrast between Rip and Delfino as far as their size. Jackson was guarded by both. Rip looks very slight of build next to Jackson. But Jackson looks very slight of build next to Delfino. Delfino is one solid player. And one solid defender. Next game vs. Indiana, he certainly needs to be featured a lot more.

Ok, I am going to check out the box score now. I bet I see quite a few assists for Arroyo, and no turns. He did well tonight. He probably should have been played more. But hindsight is 20/20 they say. Coach was probably sure that Billups was going to dig down deep and light it up again. Maybe he could have if coach had given him a bit more rest yet in that 2nd quarter, on this, the 5th game in 7 nights. (Especially after playing the guy over 40 minutes the previous night.) About all for now. GO PISTONS!!!!!

I forgot to mention Ben's 2nd half play. Pretty solid for the most part. Despite all the games, and all the minutes, he seemed to wearing Indiana out. Indiana sure puts a lot of effort into keeping Ben off the boards. Ben may not have a ton of rebounds on the stat sheet, but he ended up doing his share in this game for sure.
  16. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

5 games in 7 days will do this I guess.Give them credit they jumped on us and beat us with rebounding and effort.Hopefully this stops the 72 wins talk even though you would like to see history it's sickening hearing it everyday from the media.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Some progress here getting ready for the playoffs

One, Dale Davis got some minutes. Not enough in my opinion when he was the best thing we had to keep them off the offensive glass. But he played. That is good.

Two, we brought in Arroyo and Delfino together in the 2nd half. Thats, trusting your bench, and choosing the right players to play off your bench. Yes, I would still rather those two play with Prince in at small forward, and Delfino at shooting guard. Still something to look forward to.

One of the biggest things Flip can do, right now, is figure out he is barking up the wrong tree as far as depending on Evans to be in his rotation. Here was a night where we really needed some bench minutes, but Flip could simply not find anyone on the Indiana team that Evans could gaurd. Absolutely not a guy you want in your regular rotation. He only played 5 minutes tonight. That is getting close at least to the minutes he should be seeing. (Yep, zero, in my opinion. Lets let Maxiell get a shot at some minutes. Not playing Evans is the first step in playing someone else.)
  18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: Some progress here getting ready for the playoffs

Delfino clearly needs more burn. 11 minutes, 4 points, 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 steal. How does Tayshaun play over 3 times the minutes and only get 2 boards? It boggles my mind. I like Delfino's overall impact on the game. He just helps the team in so many ways, even when he's not scoring.

I don't care what happens at this point. I'm thinking that maybe Flip should run a 3-swing rotation with Delfino playing about 12 minutes in each half. Bring him in for Prince at the 6 minute mark in the 1st. Then bring Prince in for Rip at the Quarter. Then Bring Rip in for Delfino at the 6 minute mark in the 2nd. Rinse and Repeat for the 2nd half.

Scatter in Evans a few minutes here and there for a couple hustle points. I have been a Evans fan all year, and I've stuck with him. But he is pretty much a defensive liability. He just seems out of position a lot. His offense is fine, but we are really hurting defensively with Arroyo/Evans/Dice out there (where's Dice's D been BTW?)

I'd like to see more Dale Davis as well. He's tough, and he can rebound the ball. Tonight was the perfect night to play him extended minutes.
  19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We have been winning ugly and now we lost ugly. Carlyle used his bigs to wear us down on the back to back. We have trouble with a big front line on the back to back. Same problem with Utah. Flip still can't seem to get the rotations right on back to backs. We have seen this before. He should have let the 2nd team play in the second quarter as they were doing fine.

Delfino looked good. Arroyo for Billips early and we lost momemtum but Arroyo is not why we lost. Teams are starting to understand our offensive sets. I pointed this out a week ago. They are completely laying off of Ben. We need to have Ben slant to the hoop. They are coming out on Chauncey and Sheed. We need to make adjustments. Davis was the bright story. He should have played way more. I said he would give us quality time. Watch out for him.​
  20. Sycamore Sam

Amazing to me that in less minutes Pollard puts up better stats than Ben. And David Harrison's play is indicative of some fine things to come.
    Hardly a measuring stick given the schedule inequities, but I'm thinking Flip has some coaching to do. Might be interesting.