Pistons At Pacers ~ March 24th, 2006

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Good "D" by Delfino. ASB was asked on radio why Delfino doesn't play more. His take was that Flip is more comfortable with Evans as he coached him before i.e. there is no logical reason other than preference.

Lack of pts in the paint is worrisome. Flip has to stop with the jump shooting when things are not going in.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dang we had to hold on to win this one scoring just one point in the last 4 mins. Bad shot selection and the refusal to go inside almost cost us a victory that should have been by 20 pts, based on the Pacers ineptness in the third Qtr. Well...I guess all of the road victories can't be easy, so we will take it.

Good bench production from Dice and Hunter, but the former took too many jumpers instead of driving and Hunter fell in love with the three ball ala Delk and then he and Billups spent to much time dribbling in the 4th qtr. :doh:

I am glad that Flip brought in Delfino and Davis to experiment with the bench, but now he needs to get somebody to practice going inside. SIX points in the paint will not win many playoff games. 9 assists by CB, but bad play selection down the stretch in crunch time.

Home cooking the next two games....no let ups, take all prisoners!!!

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Carlisle always coaxes a nice low scoring affair that keeps his team in it. If the Pistons made better decisions down the stretch it might not have been so close, but they didn't and escaped with the W. There is something to be said for playing like you have a paperbag with no eye holes over your head and still stealing a road game. What can be said, I'm not sure, but something for sure. ;)

I was pretty pleased with this game. Flip made a lot of roster moves, getting several players significant burn. Although people flinch when Hunter shoots a 3, he's made over a 1,000 in his career and it's a shot he can hit particularly if he is feeling it. Besides, the havoc and mayhem he wreaks on defense usually keeps the other team from exploiting those long misses.

The main sore spot was Ben's continued atrocious free throw shooting. He's actually regressing to a sub 30% shooter. It is absolutely amazing that his shots look worse than mine considering he is 12" taller than me, is a professional baller and has taken several thousand more free throws than I have. I can't help but get an uncomfortable feeling that Ben is going to hurt this team one day with his inability to make bunnies. I worry that it could happen in a crucial moment. I hope I am wrong.

Another guy who is regressing is Chauncey. Man, he's lost all of that pre-All Star poise and discipline. He's forcing bad shots, not involving his teammates etc. I was pleased to see him in the paint grabbing some boards (yes, guards can board, ask JKidd or Bonzi Wells). Still, his game is wildly inconsistent night to night. And his 4th quarter handles are extremely suspect. This cats gotta get on track and fast.

Dice was an absolute man. How many teams can boast a consistent double double threat off the bench? What a luxury to have.

Bring on the Nets. I wanna see Hunter vs. JKidd.

4. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

This game really showed that you can call a dog a cat all you want, but in the end the dog will show. In the begining what we saw was a high scoring fun offensive team that can play some D. That dog was meowing, but you are what you are. The Detroit Pistons folks are a rugged so what I can't score defensive team. That is what they are, you can't put syrup on poop and call it pancakes.

There offense is their Defense, The last two games you saw how Detroit likes to play, and how they will play when the lights come on in the playoffs. They're soe teams that can't defend and the Pistons will score all day, but when it comes down to it the D will show and that cat can't be a dog.

Give props to the bench tonight they really steped up and did the work.

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, just posted my concerns on the other board and came hear to read your post saying the same thing. Right, Ben has to do something about the free throw shooting. And Chauncey's head is just not into it. Some really poor decisions lately. On the other hand, this team just coasts and (usually) keeps winning. I am a bit concerned that the offense has not looked as sharp. Hope it is not a trend.

6. max

max All-Star

- Just can't win! Its either the defense or offense.

No players perfect. Chauncy had a less than steller game ( especially in the 4th ) it happends. Be thankfull that we have a half-way decent bench this year to help pull the team through. Hunter looks 5 years younger out there. Sitting him for most of the season will insure he is fresh for the stretch run.

Defense has won the past 2 games for the Pistons. A good trend for most.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I liked the ruggedness, the intensity. And Ben on anyone who has only one possible shot to take is never fair. Bench looked good and everyone except the guards got off with a light minutes game. And of course, there was a W at the end.

A couple fewer threes and a couple more plays down low might have turned it into a laugher, but the Pacers know how to play the Pistons and any win down there looks good to me.

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I've just come to the realization that we are jump shooting team. Period.

If we make the shots and play Pistons "D" we win by double digits. If we play Pistons "D" and the shots don't fall we have a close one and will most likely have to rely on 4th quarter poise. I like us in that position as well.

I think the defense is near playoff level now. My worries are beginning to subside. Excellent work by Flip on the rotations. (Guess his talk with Dungy helped?).

I'm not worried about the offense. If its one thing that Flip can tinker with and fix its the "O". The only question mark I have now is Flip's abililty to adjust during the playoffs. Crossing my fingers! :fingerscr

By the way, Lindsey was awesome. I've never seen a guard cause that much havoc defensively. Hell, you can't even inbound the ball with this guy...he's nuts!!! Everyone talks about the Pistons "switch". I'm here to tell you that it has a name...Lindsey Hunter. His defense is infectious.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

People say Hunter is a situational player. Well here's the situation, we need some D. Put him in.

Is there any hope that Flip is keeping this team from attacking the paint so that opposing teams can't develop counters to our sets? I can't imagine a disciplined, basketball savy team simply unwilling to play inside/ outside. It would be kinda like how the Pistons caught everyone off guard in the early season with the offensive efficiency and mid range attack.

10. collins18

collins18 Second Round Draft Pick

Good point, Slippy. I hope thats the case. I also wondered if injury was a consideration. I totally agree about Hunter and I also think Delfino can be of use in this capacity as well. Some take issue with Hunters' shot selection, but he is is an opponents nightmare and thats good enough for me, but if it's points you want well I know Lindsey has made some huge shots for us in the playoffs. I liked liked the line w/ Lind., Chaun.,Dale, Delf.,Dyess it was probaby the best part of the game. They may not play like that night after night but lets just hope those guys keep getting minutes.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I see ben hit the big ones in games though. he made 1 of the last 2, and the one he missed looked pretty good. I saw a piston practice and ben hit 15 in a row. It's a lot tougher in games though.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't care if it was the last one he hit, 1 of 8 is just plain pathetic. I LOVE Big Ben, but com'on man.

Hopefully we don't meet the Clippers in the finals. That bang a ben tactic just might work for a game or two. :frusty:

13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

If the Pistons were ever to lose a game in the playoffs because of Ben's free throw shooting, I'd pity that opponent in the next game. Not just for what he'd do, but for what the team would do to back him up.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Indeed. That was a great lineup. They seemed to have an instant chemistry, matching what are usually typical Carlisle team strengths. Defense and rebounding.

Ther are so many cliches about approach, but I have always liked this one as contradictory as it may seem. Attack an enemy's strengths.

Indeed. Let's just hope it never happens in a Game 7 or elimination match.

I forget the precise stat, but Ben is one of the only players in NBA history to have a grossly disproportionate rebound/scoring differential. I recall reading it in the 05/06 Street and Smith's, and remarking to myself that if he could just make one more bunny on average per game he would no longer hold that record. I believe it was only player to lead the league in rebounding, or have "X" rebounds, or win "X" DPOY awards and never average 10 PPG.

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This is why Ben is such a poor FT shooter. This offense is alot like the Cola's gameplan of Ben standing around and watching everyone else shoot the entire game with the exception of the occasional lob or put back. The last two seasons, with Ben as a more often included piece of the offensive puzzle, he was becoming more comfortable as an offensive player and we saw his FT % improve.

However, now that we have gone back to being a strictly jump shooting team, Ben hardly ever gets an opportunity to toss the ball at the basket, hence, no offensive rhythm or ability to get a feel for shooting the ball in gametime. Needless to say, dunking off lobs does nothing to improve your form or follow through or give you any repetitions to get comfortable with.

I know some fans would rather Ben never shoot the ball in gametime unless he's tossed an 'oop or picks it up close enough to jam. But, the decrease in foul shooting will stand as long as he's not involved in the offense.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll agree with that Low... we have to be careful not to isolate Ben out of the offense too much... it becomes a 4 on 5 situation... Ben has had some touches... he just doesn't look comfortable with the ball... he usually does a quick pass or one of his pattened slop drives.... his touches in the post has gone way down this year. That was a sacrifice that LB was willing to make and it was starting to pay dividends late in the year.
    I'm hoping they'll use Ben more with back screens and rolls to the bucket... makes ya wonder how important home court is vs. bench development and working on Ben's game... Ben's offensive contributions (or lack of) in the playoffs is gonna be something to watch carefully.
    Our best bet is to get a three game lead on the Spurs with three games left in the reg season... then let Ben and the bench loose.

Delfino & Lindsey is a nice combo...ball handling and lock down "D"
    I absolutely do not miss Arroyo losing the PG battle most nights.... we can get the ball to our reserves without the flashy passes..like uncontested dunks off brekaways.

17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I've been thinking that for quite some time now as well.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Is ben hurt? SOme article mentioned that he's banged up pretty good. I guess its too much to get him to rest a game or two (not against dallas).

I agree about arroyo. Think the combination of Delk, hunter, Delfino, Dyess and davis fits the identity of this team better.