Pistons Camp notes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 4, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This thread can be used for Quotes, notes and radio interviews relating to Camp...
    Nazr the new Center of attention

On a side note... possibly lost in McCoskey's blog was that Amir looks close to 7' now.
    I recall seeing him stand next to McDyess during open practice last year thinking... man he's not even as tall as Dice... is it possible that he grew 2+" in one year?... damn that's significant... with his hops and athletisism we could be looking at a very special player... KGish? ...naw what was I thinkin'

2. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

It is definitely possible for a guy one year out of high school to grow 2 inches. It wouldn't be too surprising that he's 6'11 and some change now. If he can build his body up a bit he could be seriously good given his athletic ability.

As for Nazr and the center of attention, I'm still puzzled that they're selling Nazr as good offensively. He's better than Ben, sure, but he's still nowhere near good.

I hope Flip has some tricks up his sleaves.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Let's hope that he got this right, Merc. Having Amir transform into a valuable contributer off the bench this year would be huge for us!

4. MotownPride

Yeah, Flip and the media could be setting Nazr up for failure before he even plays a regular season game. Hopefully the Detroit fans can see through the hooplah and appreciate Nazr for what he has to deliver. All eyes on Nazr during the preseason. That's for sure.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I would have liked to have seen Mr. D spit out his coffee this morning when he read McCoskey's piece about the Pistons would likely off Chauncey 60+ Mil for 4 years... wow that took some gumption.

6. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

That seems about right. It will take an offer like that to keep Billups.

I have no idea if we're willing to pony that much up, but we need to make that decision before the trade deadline.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see Saunders building up Nazr's offensive prowess, unless "He can face up a little bit" is a ringing endorsement....

“He (Nazr) can score on the block,” Saunders said. “He can face up a little bit, great offensive rebounder, he’s long, good work ethic, smart. I think how he plays will fit in with the guys we have.”

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If you are going to 'depend more' on each other for defense, shouldn't that mean that you need to work more on your individual and team defenses? It kinda made sense that "they knew" how to play defense so didn't have to work on it because "knowing" how to play defense was to let big ben pick up the slack.

In addition, a lot of the rules changes perimiter defense...Joe said it put an emphasis on moving your feet. Isn't that something that needs to be drilled?

At any rate, I like NAZR.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Is delfino at camp? I haven't heard a word about him. Just what to expect from him. or something.

10. MotownPride

You're right Bill. It's not as much Flip's comments as it is the connection the media appears to be making with Ben's departure and last year's team's offensive weaknesses. Unfortunately, to say that Nazr is average offensively might still be overstating his skills. He might just be a little more serviceable than Ben but with a superior free throw percentage. This almost automatically puts the pressure on Nazr to score even if its not his strongsuit. Anything less than 10+ points a game will most likely be scrutinized.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the two stints in which Nazr averaged the most minutes, he put up 10+ points per game:

2001: Atlanta (28 games) - 25.6 minutes, 12.3 points, 9.0 rebounds
    2005: New York (54 games) - 28.1 minutes, 10.9 points, 8.1 rebounds

Last year's minutes for the big three:

B. Wallace - 35.2
    R. Wallace - 34.7
    McDyess - 21.1
    Total : 91 minutes

With the loss of Ben and increased minutes for McDyess, it might be reasonable to expect 25-28 minutes for Nazr. If that happens, the Pistons should expect a double-double average from Mohammed. I would certainly be happy with that.

12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Having anybody transform into a valuable consistent contributor off the bench would be huge!!!!!!!!

13. MotownPride

I guess I just wasn't too impressed with his stint in San Antonio. I admit that he had tremendous upside which is one of the reasons San Antone was excited about him in the first place. Again, I will say that anything less than averaging 10+ points a game will be considered a dissapointment. Ultimately he will be guaged in the media by how much better he is in the things that Ben sucked at. That's the price of being Ben's replacement.

14. MotownPride

So true..so true. :)

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Blakely Weblog[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Wednesday, October 04, 2006[/FONT]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Training camp, Day 2 ...

After watching the guys do some 5-on-5 work this morning, I don't know what to make of Flip Murray.

I like his game, I really do.

But it seems this guy is going to be one of those players that, you're never really going to know what to expect from him.

** Link **
    [/FONT]

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Wed, Oct 4, 2006 at 4:13 PM
    Chris McCosky
    Sheed speaks his mind

You might want to check out the News sports section Thursday. You will find some of Rasheed Wallace's comments both amusing and enlightening, I think. I will give you a little taste right here.

On the new micro-fiber ball: "It’s terrible. Terrible. I don’t know why they did it. The thing that (upsets) me about it is, that’s a major part of playing and you can’t just change it without getting the players’ opinions on the ball before you change it."

**LINK**

17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Re: October 2006 Piston Articles

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_pistons/archives/2006_10.html#191924

Blakely on training camp day 3: here's the scary part:

"There were, however, a number of positives from practice:

Dale Davis looked like the old Double-D in Indiana with Rik Smits and company, the way he rebounded and scored against Nazr Mohammed."

(he goes on to excuse nazr on account of Ramadan fasting, which is fine, but still...this is a positive??)

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ramadan isn't why Nazr is getting his butt kicked. It's because Dale has been TAZER CHARGED!

19. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

:pound:

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Look at this Picture. Dale's hardhat looks like a beanie.

[​IMG]

click to enlarge