1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons/Cavs - Billups vs. Hughes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 21, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chauncey Billups vs. Larry Hughes

mikhail1973

Chauncey has experience and help on his side. He's had strong playoffs and should continue the same. He can score and he can pass and he's been driving the ball more in the playoffs. On the other side we have Hughes who's been in the complementary role to LBJ. He struggled with his shooting in the playoffs and realistically he is not a point guard. He can't set up his teammates. He might be a decent defender, but most likely won't get much help from his teammates.

Advantage: Detroit

adpreston1988

Billups is definitely the better player in this matchup. His strength and 3-point ball are deadly, which should give him the advantage. However, Larry Hughes is a solid player and he might tip the balance as to which way the series goes.

Dumars4Ever

Hughes is a "volume scorer," usually requiring a lot of shots to get points. He's only shooting 37% from the floor in the playoffs, although he can occasionally heat up on 3s (35% in the post-season). The guard matchups might switch on occasion in this series, so I'm not sure that he'll be on Chauncey the whole time, but either way, the Pistons win both matchups.

linwood

Their numbers are pretty close, but Bigshot averages twice as many assists. Chauncey has been playing well and has been here before. This one is all about Billups.

bezeach

Chauncey Billups wins this matchup because numbers don't lie. Billups leads in almost every statistical category over Larry Hughes. The biggest advantages for Billups is the PPG category (17.0 vs. 14.9), the Assists category (7.2 vs. 3.7) and the FG % category (42.7% vs. 40%.) The edge goes to the Pistons.

st8ofmind

Chauncey on Offense vs Larry Hughes -

Hughes excels as a defender by disrupting passing lanes and with deflections. Mr. Big has a rock (no mortgage company endorsement implied) solid handle so that is not much of a concern.

On D Hughes is prone to gamble which would leave Chauncey open for kick out 3's if others can force double teams.

I see Snow (a great D matchup if I'm Cleveland) or Gibson checking Chauncey more often than Hughes unless Mr. Big needs to be 'cooled' in that case Hughes might get the assignment. Chauncey can overpower Hughes, but it will be tough to finish over him

Larry Hughes on O vs Chauncey.

Hughes is an enigmatic offensive player, either brilliant or a glaring detriment to his team and that seems to be determined by his shot selection and jumper falling. He's not even kinda maybe a pure point guard, but an exceptional slasher and streak jump shooter.

On a side, the series got a lot tougher once Hughes got back into the fray after returning from the loss of this younger Bro and got Flip Murray the hell off the court. That will be one of the bigger changes.

If you watch an 'and 1' highlight reel of the two you'd say advantage Hughes, if you watched a meaningful PLAYOFF game you'd say advantage Billups. Chauncey's game management and the fact he needs a bulldozer to carry around his huevos late in a game results in.

Slight to Significant Edge...

Dlev59

Billups is usually at his PG best against the Cavs. He avg. double digit assists against them for the four regular season games. CB seems to be very patient against this team allowing the game to come to him. He will be guarded some by Hughes and also Eric Snow off the bench. Snow at times gives him more trouble than the taller Hughes.

Look for Billups to get his teammates involved early, and look to take over whenever needed.

Hughes is a gambling defender who mostly looks to play help defense. He plays passing lanes very well resulting in a fair amount of steals. On offense he has been known to knock down a few jumpers and can hit the three occassionally. Hughes can also go to the basket and finish. CB must make him prove he can hit the jumper.

Maverick

Chauncey Billups has a good deal of strength on Hughes, look for him to post up even more in the coming series. I also don't see Hughes as being able to stop Chauncey from getting his shot off. The only advantage I see for Cleveland in this match up is that Hughes has a lil bit of quicks on CB, but I really don't see how he is going to capitalize on that against our renewed interior defense.

dba

Like the Chicago series I think we'll see a lot of switching from the guards. I'd expect Cleveland to move Hughes over to Rip a fair amount of the time. CB can't shoot over Hughes easily, but he can get him into foul trouble. Hughes has shot badly in the playoffs from two, but does get on the boards. The Detroit guards will need to put a body on him or expect to see a lot of offensive rebounds and some points in the paint. CB does way more for the Pistons than Hughes gets done for the Cavs.

BillLaimbeer

Billups has a strong advantage in this match-up. His stats (20.5 pts, 7.0 ass, 3.0 reb) are better, but his experience, leadership, and ability to come up big during crunch time are key.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't like this matchup very much. Hughes is light in the pants, but he's long and tall defenders bother Billups.

To boot, he's fast.

Gotta let him shoot jumpers and hope he shoots as poorly as he normally does. This isn't a guy you want to get into a running game with, or face off of the dribble.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think that we're goin to see zone against Cavs to keep them from driving. They won't be able to hit their jumpshots consistently, and that especially includes Hughes who is an extremely streaky, but mostly cold from the outside.

4. mikhail1973

Chauncey Billups - NBA Players - Sportsnet.ca

5. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

6. mikhail1973

This is a close call in game 1 and the stats are very similar but Chauncey made the important plays when it counted to help Pistons win. He needs to be able to hang on to the ball a bit better. Looks like my post from that idiotic site jinxed him.

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CB took only six shots and had 10 pts in the all important 4th qtr. He was turnover prone in the 1st qtr though as the Cavs double teamed him to prevent the Pistons from gettin good ball movement and distribution.

He was huge with the two 4th qtr threes, especially when he hit the one that put them ahread 78-76 with 1:45 left in the game as well as the one that put them up 71-68 when Max grabbed the biggest offensive rebound of the game and fed CB for the uncontested gotcha 3 from the side. If you remember that one came with about 3 and change left in the game and Mike Brown went crazy...in fact it appeared that he was trying to block it himself from the bench:MusicBigGrin: