1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons for sale?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Nemo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

NBA Team Valuations - Forbes.com

Try this chart to find out operating income for 2008-2009 for ALL TEAMS.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wow, I stand corrected. And now I feel sick.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Because of the prospect of the team leaving? Or because we have been making boatloads of cash for years and have just one championship this decade to show for it?

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That the Pistons were making that much and not investing in talent.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I remembered the Pistons making 20 million yearly during the Larry / Flip years, but the fact they made more during the most recent times is appalling. Makes you wonder about certain decisions based on finances.l

6. max

max All-Star

I read a blip last week that the metro Detroit area is actually recovering slightly faster than the rest of the country on average. Another reason to keep them here.

Seattle is probably the only area that really scares me. Established fan base, still some sympathy on how they lost their team. Lot of Ballmer types that may buy it and want to move it. They still would have to build a new stadium though so hopefully that will help detract.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think the NBA is Seattle is still just lip service. The evening news ran a story (12/6) about the Hornets possibly moving here, but it was all speculation. I haven't heard a peep about the Pistons.

Building that new stadium will be just about impossible in Seattle unless the new owner wants to pay for it. Personally, I really like the Sonics old arena. As a non luxury-box-owning fan, most of the seats in Seattle were much better than the seats I could afford at the Palace!

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Can any of you smart folks explain to me the difference in valuations when the Pistons are valued at $479 million when they own their building versus the Celtics coming in at $430 million or so when they don't.

Is that saying that the Celtics franchise is really more valuable than the Pistons, but the sum of the Pistons puts them on top?

Also, exceeding the lux tax the C's is hurting the net operating income that the Pistons have been pocketing.

I feel sick and angry too thinking back to the Walt Sharpe's, Jarvis Hayes et al rounding out the Pistons bench while they were [STRIKE]robbing us blind[/STRIKE] contending.

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

probably lost 2-3 'ships due to underinvestement.

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Good point there. Seattle, or WA state for that matter, are so under water that they won't be able to front a single dime towards a new stadium. I'm also with you about Key Arena. Smaller than other stadiums, but great seats.

Seattle is a decent sports town. Everybody I talk to are still angry that the Sonics left and they all want an NBA team back here. Just not my Pistons please.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We spent a whole lot less than a lot of teams that ended up in the lottery year after year. Spending often helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

agreed but Pistons was always very close. the bench was solid only during 'ship year.

look at the contenders benches today and compare it with post LB era Pistons bences and you'll get the picture.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We need DBA to compute the Sprocket points and do an analysis on the bench production of NBA Finalists vs. others.