1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons for sale?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Nemo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just want to point out that the census figures that drive the map are from 2000. Surely everybody has left during the last 10 years and headed over the Flint.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:sssh: Back to the drawing board, I guess.

4. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Where to start?

I can't stand when people fit facts around their arguments instead of using facts appropriately. You think the Lions would be selling out in Pontiac these last two years with the team going 2-30 in the midst of the worst recession since the Great Depression?

Or how about the other side: why does Ford Field ever sell out? Does the crime rate you naively talk about suddenly become a non-factor during those weeks? (Btw, the Pistons are having a little trouble selling out these days. I guess it's due to all the crime in has-been Auburn Hills).

Jesus man, just because you're uncomfortable in Detroit doesn't mean everyone is. In fact, if you've ever been downtown for Tigers opening day, or for any Lions game to see the tailgating in Eastern Market, or for any festival downtown in general, that community vibe and good cheer is exactly what every Pistons game will always be missing as long as they're stuck up in the middle of nowhere surrounding by a parking lot and little else. Folks like you don't get that and that's what pisses me off. Your opinions are colored more by your perceptions than by reality and the real mystery for me is where those perceptions come from in the first place. Tell me my brother, why do folks in rural Michigan have such an anti-Detroit mindset?

I suppose the sun revolves around the earth, as well? I think the other posters have handled this point.

No. I'm saying step up your game because a) it's insulting for an outsider to try taking stabs at Detroit b) it's more insulting when it's not funny.

Dude, you're painfully confused. One minute you can't stand Detroit and the next minute you like it, but you won't watch a ballgame there. I don't get you, man. Dave Bing is corrupt now also? You're full of insights. Go ahead and break some news here about corrupt mayor Dave Bing. Jesus Christ.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2-30? It looks really bad when you phrase it that way.

6. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Games in Detroit (20 years living) are MUCH better than in Atlanta (5 years and counting) for ALL sports and better attended. I don't have statistics just personal observation as a fan and attendee / season ticket holder. My point is that an economically devastated, supposed crime ridden, past its prime city can hold its own over a newly regarded, hip cosmopolitan city.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Pistons are the only team not playing downtown. The Wings, Tigers and Lions have extremely loyal fan bases. I mean truthfully we don't even care that Lions are a bunch of losers, we're pissed that the owners and managers perpetuate the losing and do nothing about it, at least act like you're trying, but we still watch and support.

And if the Pistons were downtown, we'd watch and support, and we know that Joe works to put a competitive team on the floor that is either (A) Contending for a title or (B) Working towards a title, and even though we talk a ton squat as fans, that's all we ask for. Sure you'd lose some attendees by playing downtown, but those are the fair weather, go to be seen, don't know squat about hoops or the Pistons Fake Fans, they'd simply be replaced by real die hard fans who don't want to drive out to Auburn Hills.

It would all be interesting to say the least.

And for the record, talking bad about Detroit REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!! But I'll leave that alone.

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This is is one of the biggest non-economic problems that Detroit has. My girlfriend grew up in Oregon and all she'd ever heard was all the bad stuff about Detroit. I took her there for 10 days and she's been asking when can we go back ever since.

Many people can't get past their own biases to take an actual look at the world around them. All it takes is for someone they know to have a bad experience to start spreading the word about how awful Detroit is. Sometimes people have legitimate gripes, sometimes they are pushed by their own prejudices (be they racial or otherwise). But, the end result is that their minds close and they refuse to accept anything except their own version of the "truth."

9. Griffin

I really don't think being downtown would decrease attendance. The Tigers averaged over 31,000 people last season per game. And that's over the course of 80+ games. I think the Pistons playing half as many games with a capacity of roughly 20,000 wouldn't be a problem...that is, if the team is worth watching and tickets are affordable.

That's really what it comes down to: if the team is good/exciting to watch and the tickets aren't outrageous, people will come. Whether it be in Detroit or Auburn Hills or Plymouth or wherever, they will come.

10. max

max All-Star

I think they were saying it was still state of the art last year - a model for other arena's. The recently build a new practice facility and upgraded the arena. Now it's old?

Just kind of concerns me that it's now considered outdated as soon as talk of selling the team comes up.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah, I'm bitin' my tongue on this one... Detroit built Michigan's economy for over 50 years... then got dumped on by those benefiting... unappreciative bastards.... I'm done

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hard for me to lend any insight on this topic but from an outsiders POV I enjoyed my time in Detroit. Obviously I went there for a specific purpose (see the city and team I've supported for so long) as I know its not exactly on the well-worn backpacker/travellers trail.

I wouldn't mind spending some more time there in the future to get to know the place a little better. And the rest of Michigan for that matter.

:thumb:

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The cinder block through my windshield swore me off the place. It was the last in a long string of violent acts against me and/or my vehicle.

It's a rough town guys. Rougher than most. It is the murder capital of America with 37.4 murders per 100,000 people per year (and that is using the lowest estimate). With the upper estimates, there were 46.8 per 100,000. It's a bad sign when they can't even keep track of them.

I'm 34 and that means that if I would have lived there my whole life, I would have had a 1.3% chance of being murdered during that span.

317 US soldiers died in Afganistan last year and 338-423 people were murdered in Detroit.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Unemployment and poverty will do that... So let's just give up on the people and the city that brought us where we are:dizzy2:

If you think for one minute that GR, Traverse City & Saginaw (all cities in Mi. for that matter) didn't get where they are today without the D, think again.

They need help.... turn your back if that's what ur about.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What does turning your back on a city that you never lived in entail?

Should I be sending them donations? Seems like the gov already did that on my behalf.

I figure that the best I can do is root for the teams.

16. Griffin

From Wiki: "Crime is unevenly distributed throughout the city. A 2006 study showed crime in downtown Detroit (CBD) is much lower than national, state and metro averages."

This debate is getting derailed, I think. Downtown Detroit doesn't have to prove itself worthy to host pro sports. It currently houses three of the four teams without incident.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Furthering your point, the Malice at the Palace happened in the subburbs (where you can't walk a block without getting hit in the head with a bottle of water!).

Griffin, you seem very old and wise. Not sure why I am getting that vibe.

18. max

max All-Star

No need to get so personal here guys.

For the record the Downtown area is very nice. I go there everyday.

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I've been held up in Westland, Taylor, and Detroit at my places of business as a younger man. I've been called cracker, whitey, honkey, and Elvis, amongst other names. I was almost carjacked, as I drove away when it was happenning.

My car was broken into twice IN ONE WEEK. Yea...there's a bad side. But I miss the area as most people were very kind and sensible. I didn't move away from Detroit. I moved TO MONTANA.

There are just too many wonderful memories to name about my home town.
    Don't criticise the town based on stats. It's just not fair. You gotta spend time and let the people in. Then you are able to truly judge.

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Great post Nemo. Thanks. I was trying to think of how to say it right and I think you did!