Pistons for sale?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Nemo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When it comes to crime and danger, there are virtually no places on Earth that don't have good people. But my rose colored glasses are only worn when I'm watching basketball.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I can understand your apprehension about going to a place where you've had negative experiences... what I'm trying to express is that the only way to improve the situation is to make an effort to find the good (and there's plenty)... The butt of national & local criticism tends to wear thin after a while... there are real lives at stake here...
    Helping to build positive perceptions will always be better than contributing to the negativity... it's like voting... your minor efforts can promote a better situation (who knows maybe even keeping the team you like in the state).
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pointing out the good is fine. But hushing up about the problems because it makes the city look bad is the same kind of thinking that bankrupted GM. (i.e. pointing out the problem makes YOU the problem)

How does any organization fix itself if it doesn't identify the problems?
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'd like to point out that any mentions of areas that PF.com should improve upon will resort in a permanent ban and exile to Montana.
  5. coynejeremy

[message censored by Rascoe]
  6. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Banned - Sent to NBDL

Did I not mention the economy? I did, but I guess it doesn't matter when all you want to do is tear apart every little nuance in your quest to make everyone feel sorry for poor misrepresented Detroit!
    I'll try one more time. Again I'll ask you how many times did the Lions suffer a Blackout while they played in Pontiac? And don't forget they played there during the early 80's recession... Whoops!

Probably for the same reason Pistons sell out when The Lakers come to down... Names, people are attracted to names!

Nope, it's still there! Just like it has been for the last 40 years! Do I really need to post the crime stats of your fair city?

Thats because they suck. People don't want to pay to watch a basketball team loose two or three games a week.
    But, like I said in my earlier post the Lions sucked for the better part of the 26 years they spent in Pontiac and they didn't seem to have a problem selling out games. I think it's because the Lions only play once a week and only 7-8 games per year at home. Whatever the reason the pistons have had problems selling out games only since they started losing more games then they've won. While the Lions have only had trouble selling out games since they moved to Detroit!

Really? Why has 21% abandoned the city since 1980? And almost 70% since 1950? I guess those people don't share your blind love!

I've been to a few Tigers games, but it's just not the same as it was in Tigers Stadium! I've been to 4 Lions games since they moved to Ford Field. Twice my car was broken into, both times my stereo and GPS were stolen and once my laptop... "That community vibe and good cheer" is really touching... Blahahahaha

Correct, I don't understand how my car could get broken into after I paid $25 for "secure" parking!!!
    The funny thing is I've been to hundreds of Pistons games and 20 or so Lions games, when they were in Pontiac, and I've never got so much as a scratch on my car. But they move to Detroit and my break in rate is 50% hmm, whats the common denominator???
    Before you say "well it could happen anywhere!" It didn't happen anywhere. It happened in Detroit!

Really, I guess the fact that I worked for a year in WoodHaven and 2 years in New Boston all the while driving into and trough Detroit 5-6 days a week is of no consequence? I drove truck for 3 years to pay for my college. Trust me, I've seen more of that city then you could even start to imagine!

Personally? Because I've seen it! Detroit is a cesspool. The crime, the politics, the infrastructure(or lack there of) Tell me, does does the 94 - 75 interchange still flood when it rains...lol
    And it's not just people in "rural Michigan!" Detroit is a laughingstock around the country. I for one am tired of the rest of the sate being associated with that legacy... We didn't earn it, Detroiters did!

Apparently it revolves around Detroit!

Sure, if you don't know how to read a map. See Auburn Hills is located at the very top of the red! I don't have and never have had a problem with them playing in Auburn Hills! It's fair. You have to drive 30 miles north and I have to drive 40 miles south, see I don't even mind driving the extra 10 miles. But Detroiters get all pissy when they have top go out of there way in the least little bit. Sorry, but just because you live, in what you think is the 'greatest city in the world' doesn't make you any more entitled then the rest of us!

Like I said, I've likely seen more of that city then you can begin to imagine. Also it's been my observation that people only get upset when there's truth involved. Basically, the truth hurts!

Ugh, :frusty: Let's try again. I like what Detroit was, "was" as in 'past tense,' as in the no longer! I don't like where Detroit is, "is" as in 'present tense,' as in the right now. And I don't like where they're going, "going" as in 'future tense.' That clear it up?

Gee, it's a wonder how he was elected...haha
    Again, I'm here to help so here ya' go, a little lite reading!

Detroit mayor hopeful Dave Bing’s company faced 52 OSHA violations « Michigan Messenger

2005 OSHSPA Report - State responsibility: Enhanced enforcement

11 repeat offenses? He clearly doesn't care about his employee's. Yet he's gonna save Detroit... Okay!!!
    Oh, just in case you don't know when you have repeat OSHA violations the reason is usually because it's more cost effective to pay the fine rather then implement the safety changes... Yep, thats your savior!
  7. redrocker1055

Funny! But not so much when you look at the ten year trend! from '90 to 2000.

[​IMG]
  8. redrocker1055

I think you're misinformed!
    Palace Sports & Entertainment want to replace the Palace by 2020. I don't think you go from being state of the Art to already planing it's replacement within a year!
    Report: Karen Davidson considers sale of Pistons, Palace of Auburn Hills - Detroit News and Information - Crain's Detroit Business

I don't think it's old. But for some reason the trend is the newer the better. So it's more then likely any new owner would want a new stadium. I'm just going by the trend!
  9. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I just worry that the team will get sold to someone like a Donald Sterling type; a man with a ton of money but basically no motivation to field a competitive team. The Clippers have really only had one year that I can think of (2005 maybe?) where they made a decent playoff run. I really hope that Mrs. Davidson takes this into consideration when she makes the sale.

Regarding the arena move, it says "Detroit" on the front of the Pistons' jerseys, but they don't play in Detroit. They play in the 'burbs (or actually the boonies is probably more accurate). Can anyone think of another pro team that plays in the suburbs of the city that they represent? I can't. It certainly isn't the norm. Moving the arena back into Detroit seems like a logical move from that standpoint.

I'm not sure how the crime or sprawl issues are even relevant at all. Detroit may be the worst, but lots of other cities have really high crime (DC and St. Louis are two that immediately come to mind), but these cities also manage to field quality sports franchises with adequate attendance. Same with the sprawl.

To me, if crime in the city is such a huge issue, being a fan of Detroit sports might not be for you. Perhaps going to college sports games would work better? College towns tend to be pretty tame if you can handle the antics of the students. Maybe moving to a different city with lower crime stats is in order. There's only so much that we have control over in this life, and if you're going to attend games of the teams that you are a fan of, you either take the risk or just don't go.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Way to spred the hate... mission accomplished... hope you're feeling better:hmmm:
  11. coynejeremy

Guys, guys, guys...
    [​IMG]
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Is that an Eagle? You leave them out of this!!!:6shoot:

We get along a lot better when we all just decide to make fun of Cannuckia instead. :pound:
  13. redrocker1055

That wasn't my intention at all. I began simply by stating why, I felt, it would be a risk, both financially and in the PR department, to move the Pistons back into Detroit given the crime rate, the economy and the vast population decrease. Thats it thats all I was trying to say and some how that enticed some to have *&%! measuring contest... I understand it makes me look like the bad guy, for stating the truth and the obvious, but the truth always hurts.
    I can't help and it's not my fault Detroit is in the position it's in. But I do now that Detroiters sure do spend a lot of time defending their city and very little time actually trying to fix it, see the 22% turnout for the last election-- that really didn't help Detroit's position!

I don't have anything against the people in Detroit, well the decent-hard-working-honest one's at least, and I'm not attacking them. But I'm not gonna set here and whisper sweet nothings into their ear, or kiss there &^@ by pretending the city's some sort of utopia just because they come from Detroit. I'm sorry but (I'm not into pretend and the reality of the situation is statistically, and from what I've witnessed, Detroit is not a safe place to live, work or have any type of recreation in. I hope that changes, I really do. But in the real life here and now, Detroit is a dangerous, dirty and depressing city and I haven't seen the city take any viable steps to change that.
    They keep throwing money and unqualified people at the city's problems. That will never work. I don't care how many 'big businesses' you hope to attract or what building you're gonna give a "face lift" to. The vast majority of people won't step foot in that city until the clean up the crime. And the only way to do that is to actually put criminals in jail. Detroit is a criminals playground, I know it, you know it... The country knows it! And until that changes there will always be animosity between the people who live there and the people who don't.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just like the white winged dove...
    Sings a song...
    Sounds like she's singing...
    Whoo... whoo... whoo...

Just like the white winged dove...
    Sings a song...
    Sounds like she's singing...
    Ooo baby... ooo... said ooo

Everybody!!!
  15. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

The problem is that this argument is weak IMO. There are a few constants in our region:

1. Crime is high in the city of Detroit.
    2. People do not live within the city of Detroit if they do not have to (sprawl)
    3. More recently (beginning in the 2000s), the population of the entire metro area has decreased due to a weak economy because of the ailing auto industry.

Through these three constants, pro sports teams have played in arenas inside and outside of the city. They have enjoyed sellout streaks and times of weaker attendance. The attendance of the arenas is not well correlated with the location of the arena or the three constants stated above.

Attendance is typically well correlated with only one thing: the product on the court, ice, or field. In the 2000s when the economy was weak in our region, all of our pro sports teams have enjoyed times of strong attendance when they were competing for championships. The only exception is the Lions, who sold out games for a long time while losing. Only when they went to the ultimate depths of 0-16 did the fans stop showing up.

This is why we as fans should be concerned with the new ownership maintaining a good Pistons team. Fans will show up if the Pistons are good, regardless of if they play in the city or the ‘burbs. I haven’t seen a good argument to the contrary (including yours).
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Estate of Pistons owner mired in legal battles | detnews.com | The Detroit News
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

:pound::pound::pound: I'm cryin' :pound::pound::pound:
  18. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

Attorney Oscar Feldman, who sold his minority stake in the franchise in October, said he's heard that she is interested in selling.

Read more: http://detnews.com/article/20100120/SPORTS0102/1200351/Estate-of-Pistons-owner-mired-in-legal-battles#ixzz0dAZhPQJ5

This answers one of my questions, it seems like Oscar Feldman was sort of the number two partner, if he is already out I assume all the partners want out.

My feeling on the arena is I like the fact that the Pistons built their own with their own money, if they want to build another with their own money that would be great. I bet they would build a really nice place. There is no way they should get a penny of public money to replace a perfectly fine building.
  19. redrocker1055

So my argument is "weak," yet you spell out exactly what I've been saying...Good lord!

Sure about that? The Lions have been in Detroit for 9 years when was there "sell out streak?" Did I miss it? Also how many consecutive sellouts have the Lions averaged in the 9 years since moving to Detroit? I guarantee not as high percentage wise, on a yearly basis, as in Pontiac.

Then you got the Tigers, how many sellouts seasons have the Tigers averaged in the past 30 years? Maybe 5 what could be considered successful attendance season's. How's 5 in 30 years a "streak?" hell thats not even a trend! The only constant is the Red Wings and thats only because they won 4 cups in ten years and they only have to sell 20,000 tickets compared to 65,000 for the lions and 40,000 for the tigers. Even still there probably leaving Detroit as it's looking like the Wings will most likely be sharing the Palace in a few years!
    More about the Red Wings. They need a new arena sooner then later, yet the city has quickly shot down any talks of public financing for a new arena. And there the most successful team Michigan has had since, well since the Red Wings of the '40's and '50's. And they won't build them an arena. What makes you think they will build one for the Pistons? Unless Jerry Jones buys the team any new arena will need public financing and I know they won't play at the Joe and Ford Filed and Comerica are to big.
    But hey at least Detroit has seemed to learn their lesson after they spent 730 million building two arenas for two teams that are considered jokes of there collective sports. Yet it is telling about Detroit's management that they would build two arenas for horrible teams yet they won't for the one Detroit team that is the elite team in their sport. It would be funny if it weren't so sad!

True, but what you seem to be leaving out is the level of product on the court, ice and field is directly correlated with the number of butts in the seats. Basically, if you don't sell tickets you can't afford to pay for higher level talent. Not every owner is willing to trow loads of cash like Buss and Cuban without the return.

I remember in the mid 90's going to Pistons games and wondering how Mr. D could keep the team going with the arena half sold. Then I took a look at the roster, David Wood anyone?
    The team sucked so bad in the mid 90's because attendance was so low that they could only afford the Woods, Millers, Murphy's and Jones's of the league. I honestly believe the only thing that kept that team afloat was the fact that Mr. D owned the Palace.
    But more on point. Mr. D was the richest person in Michigan for a reason and he moved the Pistons to Auburn Hills for a reason mainly operating costs and taxes were cheaper. I think it would be stupid to forget that he knew what he was doing and he moved the team from the area and the team experienced it greatest professional and monetary success in team history. On top of that the Pistons were never close to successful in Detroit, if they couldn't sell tickets in the 60's and 70's and the Tigers and Lions can't sell tickets in Detroit today(with new shiny arena's) what indication do you have of the Pistons bucking that trend?
  20. redrocker1055

That would be great, but I honestly can't see someone dropping $500 million on a team only to drop another $200-$500 on a new arena!

Now thats the smartest thing I've heard all day!