Pistons for sale?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Nemo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Very thoughtful and very much appreciated comments.
  2. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

This female dog karen davidson better not sell the team to alaska or something...

It seems like she is sorta taking advantage of her husbands death to make money. He would never have this if he were still alive today.
  3. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Banned - Sent to NBDL

Hey, a real live working link. Great they had a 50 game streak, all that tells me is the fans have accepted that the team will never be worth a darn. The question is when will they start selling tickets again? If theres anything we've learned in the 53 years since a title is the lions, no mater who the GM is, can't build a successful team.

And you can't say that it doesn't. The figures and stats support my argument more then it does yours. People who pay to build stadiums go by actual figures, not their hearts desire!
    I can't believe you look at those stats and can honestly call any season other then '07 -'08 a success. According to your favorite site, Wikipedia, Comerica Park has a seating capacity over 41,000. I guarantee Ilich doesn't share you're hopeful interpretation of the numbers!

Also, thanks for the link, as according to those numbers they've only had 5 successful attendance season in 60 years. Man you were right I was way off!

Really? I'd look again if I were you!

No, my argument is that the Pistons attendance has been up since moving to the suburbs. Honestly if you moved the Tigers to the suburbs they go bankrupt. Baseball is a forgotten sport, only the hardcore dedicated fans go to the games and most of those people live around the area as they grew up around it. Case in point, a person living in the city probably knows at least one person who went to a Tigers game last year. I, living in the suburbs, know no one. But I know about 20 that went to a Pistons game. I wonder why?
    Before you say I'm being hypocritical you have to understand that Basketball and Baseball are two different beasts. First off Basketball is more popular then Baseball and also the season is twice as long. If the Pistons played 160 games a year they never would've survived in Auburn Hills. Thats why Baseball only works in big city's because on the low days the Tigers can still draw in people. But since the Pistons only play at home a couple of times a week they're not asking to much from attendee's.

Comparing the way the two sport are run is like comparing White Castle to Wal-Mart.

Capacity is 41,782! You call 10,000 empty seats a game "a strong season?" You sound like you would be an easy boss to work for!

Wow we agree on
    something... I feel a tear coming...lol

Okay, if you want. But you haven't proved that attendance of the arenas isn't correlated with the location of the arena. Business 101 is Location, Location,
    Location... The suburbs are cheaper, cleaner and safer. Baciaclly there a better location in every way. Maybe thats why the Pistons have been successful there... Just a thought!

Um, you do understand that 90% of the people in the stadium for college sports actually attend or have attended the
    school... You know that right?

Maybe because your mind only envision one outcome... The Pistons back in Detroit, logistic's and technicalities me damned!
  4. redrocker1055

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My wife's friend always thought that it was ONE winged dove. She didn't believe us when we said it was WHITE winged dove. I had to google it for her.

Apparently, the Ooo Ooo was from the pain of having it's other wing ripped off.
  6. redrocker1055

Yep name calling will help.

How's it irrelevant?
    Would you build a house for your family without checking and studying the area? Would you still build it if you found out the area is the most dangerous area in the country? Would you invite people into your home knowing that it's located in the most dangerous area in the country?
    That's exactly what the Pistons would be asking every single ticket buyer to do if they moved back to Detroit!

There are some great parts of Detroit, undeniably but the point is you have to look long and hard for them. However I fail to see the "importance?" Sorry but Detroit really hasn't been important since the big three started pulling out!
  7. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

My two cents on this subject:

I worked in downtown Detroit for ten years (commuted from the northern burbs and, later, from Ann Arbor), and at one time I knew the City pretty well. I've been away from Michigan for four years.

I personally have never been dissuaded from going to Detroit to attend a sporting event and would not be now. I have used the Detroit Public Library a lot over the years, and even went there this summer to do some research while visiting family. It has an outstanding old collection of books (say pre-1950), and I think in terms of number of volumes it is still in the top ten or fifteen of public libraries in the U.S.

But it also seems to me that whatever economic considerations drove Bill D. to make Auburn Hills the Pistons' home would be that much stronger now than they were when he made that move. The City has been on a downward trajectory for a long time in a lot a measurable ways, and I doubt that that process has slowed any in the past four years.

I also think building another arena for hockey and/or basketball (whether in the City or in the suburbs) is way too extravagant in these times. Agree with whoever said that under no circumstances should public money be used to build a new arena.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Be nice.

I found a good smiley for this thread. :deadhorse
  9. max

max All-Star

I am tempted to share that viewpoint as well. In all fairness we do not know the whole story or why she wants out. Perhaps she has realized that she is in over her head or just wants to retire and live a quit life.

We can only hope that she honors the late Bill D and his vision and finds a suitable buyer who can carry on his work.

Also - I don't know how this got to be a discussion about Detroit because the future of the Pistons is a very important topic. Hey, if the move there then great - at least they are staying in the area.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Be cool dude, You don't know the widow Davison that well to call her those names...

Roscoe said no name calling of forumites or Piston owners who are still grieving..
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Don't know if this has been posted but the Pistons are officially up for sale

This is major news for the community... god help the team with their new owners.... she damn well better not sell outa state :yellowprison:
  12. SeydouKiryu

SeydouKiryu Banned - Sent to NBDL

I lurk mostly, but I've come out to tell you this:

What you've posted is classless bull%%%% and proves what a waste of fluids you are. I've met Mrs. D and she is a wonderful person.

Would you rather have her, someone who isn't a business person try to run us or have her admit that she isn't cut out for it and put it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Upsetting as it is that this is happening, it had to end at one point.

As for your completley moronic comment that "she better not sell the team to Alaska", Detroit is a huge sports market. One would have to have be a moron to think otherwise. Much like your post.
  13. SeydouKiryu

She realizes that it's not for her and that she isn't cut out for it.
  14. SeydouKiryu

It's posts like these that make me wonder the sanity of sports fans.

Detroit is a huge sports market. A huge media market as well. Not NY or LA level but quite respectable.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This would have been a more appropriate response... for which I agree.
    karen was clearly out of her element.. it's always a good thing to understand the bidness so that no one can pull the wool.
    She's simply making a smart decision...honestly I'd like to see Joe form a partnership group to take control... this is truly an exciting time for the franchise.

Oh Yeah...as Jimi once said... "move over Red Rover and let the new owner take over"
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The sanity of sports fans?... don't go there pal... you'll lose every time... guarantee you I know more about what's going on with this team and town than you could capture in 50 years... I'll be nice this one time.
  17. SeydouKiryu

Your arrogance aside, I find your premise funny.

First off, posting "She damn well better not sell out of state" is jumping to conclusions. What makes you think she'll do that, let alone consider it? This is a profitable team in a city loaded with sports tradition. That's the sanity of sports fans I question. Doom mongers and negative nancys who presume the worst without considering anything and come up with illogical conclusions, such as yours.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Alright rook, since you're going down this path... this would be a legit concern for millions of loyalist in THIS area.... we have witnessed the void that has taken place in cities like Montreal...L.A. (Rams), Vancouver, Seattle, Kansas City, Atlanta (Flames),Minnesota (North Stars), Winnipeg, Hartford, Brooklyn... any of these cities considered "sports traditions"?... wanna continue?
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

In the interset of being fair and equal (at my own expense)... this just came out of the Free Press
    btw, kudos to the Freep for being on top of this important subject

Karen Davidson comments
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, interesting juxtaposition of Karen's statements with Bill's statements.
    I don't think she should keep the team just to satisfy her dead husband's wishes. If she's not cut out for it, sell to someone who is capable. Lots of change on horizon. I doubt the Pistons leave Michigan, or Auburn Hills for that matter. Karen makes some very astute obserations in regards to new arenas vs the Palace, in my opinion.