Pistons forced to consider future without Billups

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 15, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We're gunna have a lot of Billups' threads. I'm going to attempt to roll them all into this one until the start of the playoffs.

SI.com - Pistons forced to consider future without Billups
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

They actually used "hardscrabble" (in memory bank for next scrabble game)...
    Yes it did give us a window into the future without Chauncey... a cloudy window at that... we can't say what replacement would be here for CB or if we will be playing with an inside presence to cover Ben's absence.
    Are we talking about the effects of the first year or many years down the road as he gets older and his salary grows?
    I'm into short fixes as long as it comes at a cheap price... Chauncey will be anything but that.
    On the record as prefering a less expensive PG that can defend and distribute with a shorter contract.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I sure hope this Peyton Place story (oops wrong sport, my bad) has a happier run than the one after Zeke called it quits.

:hoops:
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

From Steve Forrester @SI.com
    --------
    "I would think Chauncey deserves a big contract," says an opposing advance scout. "He's gotten better and better over the years. He's expanded his game; he knows how to get them in their offense and he [can make his own offense]. He's gotten confident and he's comfortable in his role as a take-charge guy, and they accept him in that role and they need him in that role."
    Indeed, in his fifth year of running the Pistons' offense, Billups has developed into Detroit's coach on the floor, not only distributing the ball, but also formulating the team's approach from night to night.
    "Our pace depends on the game," Billups said in a phone interview recently. "If we're on the road at Dallas, we have to slow things down. We don't want to get in a run-and-gun with them. [If] we've got Phoenix in town, you've got to slow it down. At other times we have to speed it up a little bit. That's pretty much a decision that I'll make during the game and Flip [Saunders] and I will talk about."
    -----------
    Chauncey you lie.
    Dude, the only game you know is "slow it down".
    And your idea of speed it up is chucking 3s without the front court set-up.

more from that art.
    "One analysis [espoused by former SI.com NBA analyst John Hollinger] holds that point guards need to be two of three things to age well," says a consultant associated with an NBA front office. "They need to be fairly big, they need to shoot well and they need to pass well. Chauncey, arguably, is all three of those things. Outside of Steve Nash, there's probably not anybody as efficient as [Billups] is in terms of not turning the ball over, getting assists, scoring."
    No team knows that better than Detroit, where losing Billups would likely spark a decline all of us can predict.