Pistons Getting Younger and Younger

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One thing is perfectly clear from the Piston signings and non-signings....the 2009-10 Detroit team will be much younger than squads from the recent past.

If you look at the guys that are not returning, they are all in their 30's. If Gordon and Villanueva do, in fact, sign with Detroit the average age of the Pistons roster becomes 24.5 years.

If you look at the current Pistons players, there is one guy that doesn't quite fit in (Hint: think thirty-something).

POS - ROSTER - AGE
    PG – Stuckey - 23
    SG – Gordon - 24
    SG – Hamilton - 31
    SF – Prince - 29
    PF – Maxiell - 26
    C – Brown - 27
    PF – Villanueva - 24
    PG – Bynum - 26
    SG – Afflalo - 23
    SF – Sharpe - 22
    SF – Daye - 21
    SF – Summers - 21
    SF – Jerebko - 22

OUT
    Oberto – 34
    Herrmann – 30
    McDyess – 34
    Wallace – 34
    Iverson - 34

2. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

younger but more athletic

3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

We are younger, but we now have a lot of money spent on good, but not great talent. Somewhere, somehow, Joe is going to need to find a way to add an All NBA type talent to this team.

4. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. I would be happy if he could trade Rip for an expiring contract of the same amount and then use that along with the 4 million he has left to make a run at Chris Bosh in 2010 if he can't trade for him now. I rather he did that and play out this year with Ben G and Charlie V as our only moves along with a new head coach than waste the 4 mil and be stuck juggling Rip and Ben G for starter minutes.

5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure McDyess is gone, though part of me hopes he goes to a championship contender next year.

Unless the Pistons manage to trade for Bosh. Then I'd hope he stays.

6. max

max All-Star

I think he will. Strikes me as the kind of guy who wants a place to kick back in and be appreciated once he retires.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

To me the question becomes what can this team do that last years couldn't? (Realizing there are still spots to fill and time)

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Aspects of a brighter future and youthful hunger to go with that desire.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Last year's team was one of the most under-performing squads relative to their talent and experience, that I have ever seen, in any sport.

This year's team has less talent and experience, but as pass mentioned, the upside of youthful exuberance, and instead of watching them play down to the competition and lose, they will sometimes exceed expectations and win.

Anyone holding out hope that Joe is building a contender (IMHO) is smoking something funny. This is the truth. We are back to zero. The run is over. Making the second round might be a good yardstick for this team, at this point I would be astonished if we got to a conference finals let alone won a game there.

But it's all good. Creative destruction. The tree of liberty must be watered occasionally with the blood of tyrants and all that good stuff.

Embrace a new start.

10. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

The fact that our only center on the team is Kwame Brown gives me the chills.

11. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

And Joe realizes that.

This offseason is far from over. We're probably in for a Rip/Prince + filler trade and one more Fa signing after the dust settles.

12. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

This offseason isn't over,becouse we can't win with Kwame as our starting C.I love that Dumars makes the team from one of the oldest to one of the youngest in NBA,becouse you can't gamble with older players for so long and hope for the best.I think we can get Bosh from the Raptors for RIP+someone.Raptors are showing a lot of interest in Lee and Kleiza(Yes he didin't play in Denver PF,but he's a PF with good shooting range) so Raptors are thinking about a future without Bosh and they need a SG.

Sorry for my bad english.

13. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Great news for pistons nation, Joe traded his friend Billups,we all not agree in his position against future, but now he has signed to detroit(not LA,Chicago,Big apple,miami...) two great player with a correct salary,young players with championships hungry.
    This is the begining of new project,i hope we have a top ten draft next year to sign a great center,we can´t figth for a tittle now,but this offseasson has not ended, joe may have one surprise to improve us to cavs,miami,orlando,boston,SA or lakers level.
    If we had a young and skilled center we could be a future elite team one more time.
    We need a very good coach,not a standard level coach.

I´m very happy with Villanueva and Gordon moves.

14. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Hi Stun. Welcome to the forum. Your english is good. Better than good.

Can't see Toronto swapping Bosh for Rip. But we may say Rip get moved to a team looking for a piece to put them over the top. I suggested Denver as a possibility some time ago. We shall see.

15. Stun

Stun First Round Draft Pick

Denver?I don't see RIP in Denver,becouse we need big man and the only big man who can offer Denver is Nene,and they won't give us Nene.

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is very cool. I didn't experience this last time around. I was out of the country and had limited ability to follow the Pistons then. Joe has done his best work in these types of situations. I'm not expecting instant success because that's not how it happened last time either. It will be a very interesting rebuilding time. I trust that we are skipping the teal years this time around and going back to year one with Joe as GM.

17. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

CV and BG want to prove something so they will be hungry and have big chips on their shoulders. In addition, they are younger and have less baggage.

18. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I agree. From looking at the new roster it doesn't blow you away, but neither did the roster in 2003. Ben Wallace, Billups, Prince, and Hamilton were all considered decent talents, maybe even underachieving talents. This is shaping up as the same kind of rebuild.

The question remains though can one or two of these guys elevate their game as Billups and Wallace did to put this team in the upper echelon? Maybe, but it does have a chance of and as fans that's all we can hope for. This isn't Clipperland or Memphis. Nevertheless, it will be an exciting and athletic team and if it doesn't work out then we can try again in a few years.