1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons @ Golden State - Dec. 9th 2005

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by mercury, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee, I did mention Evans was providing energy to the team by guarding Davis. By the way, he was plus 5 for the game too. Lots of people said Evans had a bad game last night. I am not one of them. I only pointed out that what Evans was not doing is guarding any small forwards.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Very interesting questions. :noidea:

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

very good point. tay got a huge call down the stretch where he charged , but they called a blocking foul. although the same thing happened with fisher, but that wasn't as huge since it wasn't in the 4th quarter. is it me or was chauncey's 29 points quiet it seemed as if rasheed had 29 and not 22.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

RaSheed got his when we went to him, so all the attention was drawn to him. Chauncey did a good job of scoring toward the end of the shot clock and on fast breaks. I realized what a job CBill was doing, because I was watching on league pass and listening to the GS announcers. Every time he would shoot the ball, they would comment on how automatic he is. Also, they talked alot about Ben Wallace and his status as the 3 time DPOY and how the GS big men were doing a good job of not being intimidated by him. And my favorite was when Tay hit the big shot at the end, one of the announcers asked "how many weapons can they draw on in the clutch?"

What a great distribution between Rip, Chauncey, Tay, and Sheed of shot attempts, rebounds, assists, and free throws. We are the 5 headed dragon.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yeah chauncey's 29 points was quiet for some reason. don't forget about ben too he along with sheed helped the warriors stay out of the paint in the second half. both teams sucked from 3 Detroit (5-17) and GS (4-18). unlike the warriors though we went inside also while they would take long 2's if they couldn't get a 3.

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Slippy on offense

Yes, we do have an offensive team. Sounds strange. I squirm a little on the limited defense. But this is the regular season which is the time for offense. I am amazed at how much offense we have even though I have been harping that we should have had more last year so something was wrong with our set-up. It is strange to see us win with offense. But no 14-2 with defense--not in the regular season grind. Defense is much more work on the day to day. Then, on the days you don't bring it, you lose.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The lack of defense is compensated for by the clutch plays the starters make down the stretch.

The record is gaudy, but then we haven't played more than one elite team (Dallas). And when we played that elite team, they out executed our "O" and exploited our poor "D".

I'm happy for the fast start, but it is a long season and we are relying very heavily on the starters. The bench guys have been very, very inconsistent.

In a game this close, you have to wonder if we would have won with Pietrus playing and Murphy not under the effects of the flu.

Sometimes it is good to be lucky. It's always better to be good. I'm still waiting for that San Antonio game (and hoping their roster is healthy) so that we can get a true gauge of where this team is at. One thing is for sure, the rebounding worries me more than the spotty "D". Common basketball knowledge dictates that the team who wins the battle on the boards gives themselves a chance to win. If the other team is out-rebounding the Pistons, then they are also being given that chance...

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

one reason why tams are outrebounding us is that ben has been injured for a little bit, and that some teams shoot a lot of jumpers and those long boards come back to them. as for the bench lb would have never put more than dice in a 4th quarter flip trusts arroyo, evans, and dice. soon enough he'll trust more players.

9. Darth Tater

True enough, we haven't played the Spurs yet, but look at Detroit's road record. Most teams play better at home, so beating a decent team on the road is kind of like beating a good team at home.
    :flame:The Pistons rock!!!!!! 14-2. What better gauge do you want? Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

IMHO, you guys are both right... I share all of Micro's concerns... it is amazing the lack of quality opponents to this point (also considering their health).... but we shouldn't underestimate the knowledge of knowing what to do at games end.
    There is no perfect team... even the Spurs have weaknesses... Rasho's defense... Parker light in the pants etc.
    I still fear a healthy Heat team (sure don't want to face them in the first round)... and a motivated Pacers group... at this point the pressure is on them to make up ground... we CAN get better.

11. max

max All-Star

Game

I missed most of the game. Only caught the last half of the 3rd and the 4th and of course thats Piston time.

That was amazing watching Sheed school Dunleavy and Diogu down the stretch. I tuned in when Billups was exchanging 3's with Dunleavy and thought man we are going to lose this game like this. Then the Piston D tightened down and Sheed started taking it to Dunleavy and Diogu, especially Dunleavy. Really entertaining watching him try to post Sheed and trying to stop Sheed as he took it to them. Other GS players tried taking it in only to get stripped or swatted by one of the Wallace's.

On the 4th quarter D. The GS players looked surprised when the Pistons tightened things down. Which tells me that they must have been successfull with those types of plays earlier in the game.

Saw we got out-rebounded yet again. Only by 1 this time. Kind of looking like Ben Wallace has to get double digit rebounds in order to give us an edge there. Dyess was not much help. We really do need a 4th big who can contribute. Dale Davis makes his living banging around down low. We could really use a guy like that.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Not that I wouldn't have liked to see Sheed paired up with Dunleavy, Max, but that was actually Troy Murphy.

Murphy's a good player, but that game really demonstrates the Warriors' problem. They just give away too much at the power positions. Diogu could be a nice Carlos Boozer type, but they've gotta get a real 5 man.

13. max

max All-Star

re

There were a couple of plays when Dunleavy tried taking Sheed.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

correction

The 3rd time I rewatched the game, I concentrated on exactly what Evans was doing on defense. The only thing he had success with was guarding Dunleavy. And his plus 5, that came specifically when Davis sat out and Evans guarded Dunleavy early in the 4th quarter. Otherwise, Evans was not doing well in this game as far as plus minus goes.

As for Evans guarding Baron Davis, this was an utter disaster for us. First of all, Evans never got up on Davis enough to slow down his dribble. Never. Next, Davis could juke Evans out at will and drive by him. Never took a whole second for Davis to shake Evans as he chose.

This may sound harsh, but hey, I am just telling you what I saw. Almost wished I had not looked closely at this. For this game, Evans gave us nothing on defense, precious little on offense himself, and surely not enough ball handling.

The one aspect of Evans game I liked for this game is that he several times passed the ball into Sheed in the post. Once for an assist. Now, I am not saying this showed a bunch of talent. Its not like Evans actually handled the ball and then made a pass. He was just passing the ball on to the next guy. But at least he did that right.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i knew that was coming, and you still don't get it.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Did you know that of the starting 5, Golden State's oldest starter is 30?

Foyle - 30
    Davis - 26
    Almost everyone else on the team excepting DFish and Cheaney are under 25.

This is the team to watch 2 years from now.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Really?

Sure, Evans did his job. When he guarded Dunleavy, a guy any of several Pistons gaurded easily in the game. When Evans guarded anyone else, GS scored. I too, at first glance, thought Evans did ok for that game. Until I looked a bit more carefully.

You say that the starters did poorly too. But that is not entirely true. The starters had a fine defensive 3rd quarter going. A third quarter that saw GS get 29 points, a whole bunch of which happened after Evans came in.

Now, I ask you, if Evans can't defend, and he can't shoot well, at least of late, and he can't handle the ball, then why is he out there.

18. Darth Tater

Why? Because Flip is really a spy for one of our rivals. He knows our other bench players are much better than Evans, but Flip is slickly slipping in guys that he figures will lose the game for us.

Good job helping us see the Light Lee. Thank goodness you watch each game at least 5 times so you can catch these little subtleties the normal...err ...average basketball fan would miss.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

lee

As usual, you bash Evans without providing the advantages of the guy you want to take his PT.

What do you want to see from the bench besides seeing Mo off of it?

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Look in the rotation thread

I have covered this subject there, proposing several rotations without Evans. But since you brought it up, lets talk about how Carlos Delfino would have done in this game.

Carlos Delfino might have fared no better guarding Richardson or Davis in this game. But then again, all Defino would have had to do is just one time help keep GS from scoring while guarding these guys and he would have beaten out Evans in this regard. Now, to be fair, GS did fail to score one time, as their center blew an uncontested dunk off one play.

Yes, GS scored every single time other than that blown dunk if Evans was guarding Davis or Richardson. Know who Evans did guard ok? Cheany and Dunleavy.

Now, I submit to you, Delfino could have guarded Cheany and Dunleavy just fine. And contributed points and ball handling.

Other guys I could see taking Evans minutes are Maxiell, Amir Johnson, Arroyo playing more than he does, Darko indirectly by sliding Sheed over to small forward some. From what I can see, Evans is providing nothing non-replaceable out there. Of late, I remember he did guard Gilbert Arenas well in the Washington game. So I can see that there will be an occasional matchup where Evans can be useful. But not as a regular rotation player.