Pistons have done better than experts predicted

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 30, 2007.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of course, we all want the Pistons to win the NBA Championship. If you look back before the season began, though, most "experts" didn't give the Pistons a chance to win it all. In fact, after the loss of Ben Wallace, most "experts" didn't even have the Pistons winning their division. In the following article only 1 of the 13 "experts" had Detroit winning the Eastern Conference. No one predicted the Pistons to win it all.

NBA.com: NBA Expert Predictions 2006-07
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nobody picked the COY or MVP either. These guys basically suck at predicting things.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think the point is that we've exceeded expectations.

People are complaining, but again, is that our fanatic sense of "entitlement" speaking?

Only one team is going to win, and what makes us really believe we are the very best team? If we are the best team, we'll win. If not, we will know soon enough. Either way we've had a hell of a run.
  4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I'm sure I'll get blasted but what the hey...

Please stop all this revisionist apologetic / loser talk...

4 days ago you were probably doing spurs/pistons matchups and now you are in "Just happy to be here" mode.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo
  5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Those NBA "expert" predictions have basically zero value. I bet you could ask a random sample of NBA fans across the country and get predictions that are at least that accurate. So forget the so-called experts--it's perfectly reasonable to expect the Pistons to contend for a title this year.

I can't speak for others, but I don't think I have a sense of entitlement. What I see is that when the Pistons are playing smart and playing together they can match up with any team in the league. It's one thing to get knocked out of the playoffs because you lack the talent or experience to compete. It's quite another when you get knocked out because key players are repeatedly making bad decisions and crunch-time execution is falling apart. It's the Good Pistons/Bad Pistons thing.
  6. BillLaimbeer

This contradicts your statement from this morning, when you said that the Pistons "aren't as good as the outside world thinks they are".

Are the Pistons the best team in the world or not?
  7. Darth Tater

You won't get "blasted" by me. I'm pretty tolerant of other people's opinions.

But if you were referring to me, I don't believe I personally predicted a Pistons/Spurs final in the last 4 days. I don't think Bill did either. That being said, I still believe the Pistons will win game 5 and knock out the Cavaliers.

However, I can accept the fact that it may not happen, and in my opinion, although I'll naturally be disappointed if we don't win it all, I will still consider this a successful year. I'm proud to be a Pistons fan, although I'm also a Lions fan, and I don't take their losses personally.

Seems like maybe you are taking out your frustrations with the team (See Buddah) on others. If you are intolerant of other peoples perspectives, you know where to find the ignore button.:sssh:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Which unfortunately, has to do with the Pistons sense of entitlement.

If you listen to Rip and Chauncey, you would get the impression that we have won 3 straight titles. They even almost go so far as to imply that if not for factor X and factor Y, they would be the greatest team in franchise history.

It's almost like these guys are heavily sheltered from reality. That their post championship quest for All-Star selections and external validation has expanded their minds to believe they are something they are not.

Unfortunately, this is what Oliver Wendell Holmes had to say about this, although he meant it in a more positive light...
  9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I don't think they are, they're the 4th or 5th best team if you put them in the West.

All 8 Western Conf playoff teams are better than the Cavs.
  10. Darth Tater

Right. But pure talent only goes so far. If we aren't doing the right things consistently, then we are not the best team are we?

It takes talent, desire, coaching, effort, and a pinch of luck too.
  11. BillLaimbeer

This Oliver Holmes guy sounds familiar. Wasn't he a power forward for the Knickerbockers back in the 60's?
  12. BillLaimbeer

The Cavs went 2-0 against San Antonio, Golden State, and the Lakers this year. The Cavs went 1-1 against Houston and Utah.
  13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Something I badly need to do. I am freaking irate at this team right now.

Please create an all venting/swearing sub forum... :)

I have no issue with Buddah whatsoever.

I've deleted about 500 interesting yet not 'cuddly' words... guess I'll keep doing that...
  14. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I'd still take all of them in a best of 7, Especially the Warriors of late March and April.

Houston had a ton of injuries as did the Lakers.

To relate to some of you on here...

I'm somewhere between Vader and Emperor in the level of bile/evil/anger inside me right now.

Can they just do it the easy way? Just once?