1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons hire Phil Jackson - sort of

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kerghan, May 3, 2013.

1. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

Well that kind of came out of the blue.
    The Detroit Pistons have hired Phil Jackson as an advisor in their coaching search.
    This could mean everything to Detroit or it may mean absolutely nothing.
    You would think that initialy Brian Shaw would be the most likely coach for Phil to "advise" the Pistons bring in at least for an interview which really wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Outside of that who knows who or what Phil Jackson can provide this franchise
    Maybe this is nothing but a publicity stunt, maybe it is a turning point in the direction Tom Gores wants to take the team.
    Maybe Phil is able to be kept around for the draft and perhaps even into the free agency period which wouldn't be a bad thing either.
    Who knows what all this means but a little bit of Phil Jackson fairy dust may be just what this franchise needs to kick start it towards success again.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Phil Jackson joins Detroit Pistons, but not as coach

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I just like the fact that Phil Jackson's name kinda connected with the Pistons right now.

S.J., MARK MADSEN! and Mogilny like this.
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If Mr. Gore doesn't trust Joe, he doesn't have to go this way just fire him.
    If Joe went to Mr. Gore and said he needed help, he gotta go.
    If Mr. Gore respect Joe by going this way, by whom the new hiring will be responsible ?
    It sounds like a good thing but I just can't get it because to have other resources of opinion behind the scene is one thing while open to the public is the other.

Darth Tater likes this.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The Piston PR machine isn't going to waste an opportunity to get some media coverage where the names "Phil Jackson" and "Detroit Pistons" are used in the same sentence.

The only thing that I'm surprised about is the fact that Keith Langlois hasn't blabbed something like:"Combined, Jackson and the Pistons have won 14 of the last 23 championships."

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Course, Phil has never hired a head coach, but Joe has amply demonstrated that he can't, so...

Darth Tater and KGREG like this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just talking out loud here:

- Gores is much richer than Jackson and he finds it acceptable to have business dealings in the Detroit area (which involves spending significant time there)
    - Jackson is friends with Gores and desires to have a major executive and minor ownership role in a franchise. Coaching is beneath him at this point as he's been there, won that.
    - Jackson is actively looking for a long-term gig
    - Jackson is willing to participate in our coaching search and not just behind the scenes. If it was a pure favor, what would be the point in announcing it and having a formal consulting agreement?
    - Yet Dumars wasn't immediately fired and put out some yes-man type quotes

It's a little confusing, but hopefully is the start of long-term involvement by the Zmaster. If nothing else, it will help restore a winning vibe and can't help in luring big name FA's that might otherwise go to a sexier destination.

Maybe Jackson also thinks that GMing is beneath him? It's just calling people up, cutting deals, etc. Is he possibly thinking that he can pull the strings on the franchise for Gores and Dumars would keep his current position?

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Actually, in Pistons current situation it is UNWISE to remind to Jackson certain events from 2004, so Langlois is instructed to mention ONLY Lakers titles. Khm. We do not want poor selection from Jackson right now, isn't it. ?

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was wondering about this. Is there some other organizational role like team president that Jackson might be looking to fill? What's the difference between a team president and a GM, anyway?

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The team will fire Joe, hire Phil and re-name brand itself the Michigan Lake-ers. See how the - makes it different.

roscoe36, McQuack and dba like this.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

What qualities would Phil look for in a coach? I'm guessing that he would look for someone similar to himself. Phil earned his way up the coaching ladder by coaching in Puerto Rico (getting fired) and then to the Continental Basketball Association. Here are some coaches with similar backgrounds....

Herb Brown: He has coached in Puerto Rico and the CBA.

Flip Saunders: He ranks third all-time in the CBA with 253 career victories (253-137, .649).

Gar Heard: Played in the same era as Jackson and had a successful stint as interim coach for the Pistons when LB was on medical leave.

linwood likes this.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Even if it is just for a few hours of consulting I like the sound of Phil Jackson and Detroit Pistons.

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Gar Heard? Be still my heart. I wonder if he is ready to make the jump from Hallway Coach?

[​IMG]

coynejeremy likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rambis?

I'm alternatively wondering if involving Jackson as a consultant is a way to signal to the market that the position of coach of the Pistons will have more job security than it's had for the last decade.

i.e. if you get blessed by Phil Jackson, you are unlikely to be tossed aside by JD in 2 years.

brofmfa likes this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see what incentive Phil Jackson has to give the Pistons good advice. We have always been an adversary. He has no investment in the Detroit Pistons. He could just recommend Lindsey Hunter, collect his paycheck, and walk away from his Skype conversation and giggle.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with Bill....unless Phil is going to coach himself or take on the role as assistant GM in training, with the Pistons, I would not trust his input as being genuine.

If Gores doesn't trust Dumars to pick-a-coach by bringing in his friends (Checketts and Jackson for suggestions) then Joe days may be numbered if the next one is not successful.

17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

More intrigue:
    Source: Detroit Pistons bring in Phil Jackson to help find their next head coach | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

I think this sends Joe a signal that he's now officially in the hot seat. I can't imagine Zenmaster and Joe D. coexisting long term.

Also, I agree with TaS. This is just sending a message to the candidates that Detroit is at least trying to stop being the destination where coaching careers go to die.

If Jackson takes the reins here, it will be very interesting for sure but I don't know how I feel about that. He's essentially the embodiment of the biggest rivals of Pistons championship teams. It's like making a pact with the devil. Sure Hurley was hot as hell (har har har), but it didn't turn out so well for Fraser.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't remember Hurley ever getting hot...

[​IMG]

19. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

This was exactly what I thought, and still think. I'm curious to see how it all develops.

20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I doubt it; he wants to be a GM somewhere. If the Pistons make a bad hire, he looks just as bad as Dumars would. If the Pistons make a great hire, though, he can say "see, I know what I'm doing, I deserve to be a GM."