Pistons in the playoffs 2006--a championship year?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lapiston, Apr 11, 2006.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I say we will bring another ship back to the Palace. A title is never a given but man, are we the team to beat. We have played at the highest level this year early and late. Our competitors have slipped a bit. Only Dallas has improved. Teams now say that they are happy when they can PLAY with us. Teams fear us. We are in their heads. Even Shaq had said that they need a near perfect game to beat us. That puts a lot of pressure on our opponents.

We have an offense--finally. It is a modern NBA offense in the era of three ball. No more pounding it in just to be pounding it in. No more work the clock just to work the clock. We can score early and late in the clock. Tay is now a beast--teams have real problems handling him. Rip is near superstar levels now in his offensive game. Sheed can score from anywhere. We do need to get Ben his touches--I agree with him. But we don't go back to post up Ben--not like last year.

Do we have a bench? How about a starter anywhere else, Antonio McDyss? How about instant offense, Tony Delk, the second coming of Vinnie Johnson.

Can we still lock down? Rip is a first rate defender now. Tay is back. Ben is feeling good and can single-handedly wreck an offense. Sheed is on of the best defenders down low in the league. Mr. Dumars has put together a juggernaut that will show its dominance. Delk and Hunter can put the screws on defensively from the second unit.

I just want to sit back and enjoy this team and watch it make history. To heck with all that Arroyo and Darko talk. Why it didn't happen last year--too many distractions. This is the year that was supposed to follow the championship. Like Joe says, these guys are special so lets enjoy this championship run. What do others think?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rip has been a wonder this year. He keeps taking his game to new levels. Last year it was rebounding and assists. This year, he's a threat to score from anywhere on the court, not just in the mid-range game.

I've got butterflies until the ball goes up in the first playoff game. For an adrenaline/paranoia/jubilation junkie like myself, the playoffs are the big score.

When I think about the Pistons in the Finals, I feel like I can run through brick walls. Please let it be so. :fingerscr
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Me too, Micro, I can taste this one. The championship over the Lakers in 2004 was a bit of a surprise to me. I hadn't followed the team like you all and wasn't on the board in those days. I just told people that the Pistons would not be a pushover. Those tough Indiana games with low scores didn't make me think that the Pistons could actually take the series. But this one...I have seen it coming--I can't wait. I want this one badly.
  4. bdubya

bdubya Second Round Draft Pick

Over the season, I was always worried about the defense and the bench (or the apparent lack of both). Over the last month, though, we've seen the lockdown D when we need it, and most encouraging we've seen Hunter and Delk form up for a solid, solid backcourt off the bench. I only see one team in the whole league that can compete with the Pistons in a series, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Pistons take the trophy back from them.

YES I BELIEVE!!
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

bdubya, yes, now is the time to look ahead before the big show starts. A championship would be so sweet. Who do you think can compete with us. You didn't say?
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I love this time of year and can remember all 3 runs in the playoffs and the 2 we shoulda had(Bad Boyz era and last year).Cloud nine after a ship to carry through the rest of summer is all I want.We are playing very good now and I only think it improves first tip-off, first series.All game long, every game.Time to crush.
  7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am super hyped awaiting the second season. I still have that bad taste in my mouth from last year.

I wonder if the Spurs can actually get to the Finals this year. They seem to be limping along, not the Spurs we are accustomed to seeing.

Only the Pistons and the Nets are the only teams that are coming into the playoffs healthy and ready.

I don`t see a team out there that can beat the Pistons 4 times out of 7, nope, it aint happening.

Somehow if the Wiz could get by the Cav`s in the 1st round they would play the Pistons, and I would be able to check out a game at the Verizon Center!

So let`s do this Pistons, I`ve been trying to get rid of this taste for over a year now, it`s time for the swet taste of a championship!!!!!!!:eyebrows:
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Right on Dlev, that was a bitter taste last year. I think that we were all in misery posting on the boards last summer. It helped knowing others felt the same way.
  9. max

max All-Star

This is going to be the easiest East playoffs the Pistons have had. No big powerhouse in the 2nd round. No facing an Ugly giant that won 5-10 more games during the season. Past 2 years were like one of those video games where you keep getting a tougher and tougher opponent as you advance ( 04 Finals noted).

Past 2 seasons the Pistons have had a tough series in both the 2nd and East finals round.
    In 04 the Nets were up 3-2 at one point and in the Conf Finals Indy tied it 2-2 and had homecourt. Last season many thought the scrappy Pacer team could upset given the emotional edge they seemed to have ( and a 2-1 lead after 3 ). Heat were up 3-2 at one point in the Final round.

Cardiac Kidds comming back and winning when many had written them off. Heck I thought they would even do the same thing to the Spurs.

Can it be this easy now? Sub-500 team in the 1st round. Cavs or Wizz in the 2nd and then homecourt in the East Finals?

Seems too easy. Almost enough to worry about.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Max, we are in great, great shape. I know, I keep thinking it is almost too good to be true too. But seriously, we should not get a major challenge until probably Miami in the East finals. We should not be as tired as last year because (1) we did not play a defensive style all season as defense takes more work than offense and (2) as you say, we should have two fairly easy rounds in the playoffs and get the home court all the way. I tell myself to just enjoy this team. Has anyone noticed how confident they are? Sheed on the Stephan Smith show was saying he expects the team to get the job done.
  11. max

max All-Star

lapiston - this is why the team has been winning all these games. To get an easy 2nd round matchup and homecourt.

You can feel a championship this year. I did not feel that last year. Felt it in 04 as well.

Even got some mid-season juice from Delk ( ala Mike James ).
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm ready!!
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I feel really good about this post-season as well. The Pistons are clearly the team to beat, and we know from experience that these guys are almost always money when it comes down to the big situations in the playoffs.
  14. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I hear ya. For a team that likes challenges, it's almost disconcerting to see an "easy" road to the championship.

Knowing these Pistons, they'll find a way to dig a hole for themselves. They'll probably spot Wiz/Cavs a 3-1 lead in round 2. They'll overcome a 30 point 4th quarter deficit in game 7 of the ECF. Who knows?

Ideally and unlikely, the Pistons do the unthinkable: they storm through the playoffs, taking no series beyond 6 games. There's nothing stopping this from happening, except for the Pistons' addiction to drama.
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I know what you mean, Griffin, but this year's team has certainly been a lot less prone to drama than in each of the last two seasons. Obviously last year had the Larry saga in the playoffs, plus Artest charging into the Palace crowd. It's been a much smoother ride this season.
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Nothing like peaking at the end of the season to get you excited about the playoffs.

I still have the Flip jitters, but must admit that I am liking our chances more and more each day. Double digit victories definitely help.

Ben for MVP...not only for his on-court accomplishments but for his obvious leadership off the court. Ben is definitely the heart and soul of this franchise.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Flip is what this team needed--a no drama guy who basically stayed out of the way. A guy who would let the offensive skills that our players had be used. I think that he had a bum rap with the Wolves. I never expected the Wolves to beat the Lakers. Never. He should be fine in the playoffs. He is heading a juggernaut waiting to explode. Can't wait to see that piston D unleashed. It has been under wraps this year.
  18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That is so true, we have only seen glimpses of that Deeeeetroit Baaaaaaasketball!

Is it possible that Flip is relieved at Ben`s explosion, because it reminded and motivated everyone to play DEFENSE!

This way Flip wouldn`t have to, or perhaps didn`t know how to encourage his team to "D" up.........:confused:
  19. wfhutchi

wfhutchi Second Round Draft Pick

GO PISTONS!

Yes, 2006 is a Championship Year!
  20. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

A nice, quiet run to the NBA Championship would be fine by me.

:nod: