Pistons in the running for Ariza.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by explosivity, Jun 18, 2009.

1. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ariza is a little scary. Breakout playoff run, but it's not at all clear he can sustain that next regular season, particularly without Kobe occupying defenses and allowing him to spot up.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like his attitude and his improvement. For a player labeled as "athletic" to later build shooting touch shows that he must be a very hard worker.

His inbound steals were a thing of beauty as well.

It would be tricky to price him though.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You're forgetting he'll be playing with Rodney Stuckey and Will Bynum here though.
  5. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Looks like Prince and Hamilton are gonners. I say great because none of the current Pistons players are holding up to their value like they used to. Bring on the new guys I meant they couldn't be any worst could they?
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have a college friend who is a Lakers fan, and he was singing Ariza's praises during the regular season, too. So I wouldn't say he was just a playoff bloomer that can't perform during the regular season.
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's just say his game has changed tremendously both this season and in the playoffs.

Here's a guy who took 43 threes in his first four years in the league, making 21% of them.

This regular season in LA he took 191 and made 32% of them. Then in the playoffs he takes 84 in 23 games and makes 48%. At that pace in a regular season he would take 300 threes and lead the league in shooting.

Maybe he's shown great progress in shooting and is the best in the game. Maybe he just had a hot streak and will fall back to barely average next season.

He seems like a good player with a good nose for the ball on the defensive end, and he wouldn't be on the floor under Phil if he weren't smart. You could count on that defensive ability next year, but I wouldn't count on the shooting.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If he doubles his salary in the FA market, he'd still only be at around 6 mil tops. He doesn't seem like the type that would duck when LeBron comes crab dribbling down the lane either.

He's one of the few FAs out there this season who I feel is worth an offer sheet. Worst case scenario, LA matches and takes a salary hit.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know the Pistons can offer more than the Lakers, but when is the last time the Pistons were able to pull a player out of SoCal unless they were drafted?? (Tay, Alf and Amir). I know somebody will identify some old FA from the past, but it was probably before the economy hit the skids.

I love would love to see Ariza playing in a Piston uniform next season and love my roots in Detroit, but if I were him I would not move from home here in LA to Detroit where not only the weather is cold in the winter, but so will be the Pistons in rebound mode. :stirthepot:There is a possibility that Curry could stunt the growth of Ariza.

Ariza has said that he wants to stay put, but will have to wait for both the Lakers and other teams offers before he makes his final decision. Unless his high school team mate Amir can sell him on the Pistons, I am sure he will be back in a Laker uniform next year ( especially is Amir is gone himself.)
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ariza is good, but who's going to draw all the attention Kobe does and be Magic stupid on defense and constantly leave him wide open for three?

He benefits tremendously from the system and it's going to take some $$ to pry him from LA.
  11. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Tay For Ariza? Tay for Ariza? Tay for Ariza. Tay for Ariza! Tayfor Ariza?
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

No chance of him leaving the defending champions to come play with the Pistons who are in full scale rebuilding mode. LA will match whatever Dumars offers, if he does indeed make an offer.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It depends on the money, doesn't it? Turiaf left the Lakers when he saw the cash from a team whose name I don't even remember.

If it's a sign-and-trade where we swap Tay for Ariza, we'll still need to get back some $3-4M salary, won't we (assuming Ariza's pay is doubled). Who else on Lakers roster do we like that they would be willing to part with? Mbenga?

Bynum-Afflalo-Ariza would be a decent defensive & athletic 1-2-3.
  14. LA Dre

They would probably offer up NBA champs AdamMorrison or Shannon Anderson
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Lakers are probably not able to keep Ariza because they don't have the salary so how should they be able to sign and trade him while getting a more expensive player (Tay) in return?
  16. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

There is ZERO chance he signs with the Pistons. The article is a joke. Everybody will be calling his agent, but the Lakers will resign him.

In the running? He's from LA. They just won a title. He plays for Phil. We have the most depressed city in the country, Curry as coach, No Bigs, NO PG.

sheesh. what kind of foolishness is the Piston front office floating out there for PR? They have ZERO credibility
  17. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I feel the same as Rob. There's no way that he leaves LA to come here. He just won a title with them, he loves playing with Kobe, and he only has a small enough role on the team that he is comfortable with that's why he was so successful in the playoffs. Here he would have to have a big role esp replacing Tay. Come on, MLive comes up with too many "doubt" articles.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All of you doubters can kiss my feet when A-Train comes to D-Town next year. :MusicBigGrin:
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Would that be like D-Train? :gun1:

Ariza sounds reasonable at $6 mil. I wonder how is his health? Although we do have Arnie. I say it may be worth the risk at this money. Who else is out there comparable considering the salary?
  20. LA Dre

Notes from the LA Times everyday point out that both Odom and Ariza want to stay put in LA and the Lakers are willing pay the Luxury tax to keep them.

Odom knows he will have to take a salary cut but still wants to stay and Ariza although could use a healthy pay raise realizes that the ladies at Venice beach are much prettier than the ones outside California.

The Lakers also want to keep guard Shannon Brown who played decent in the Jazz and Rockets series. He made $797K this past season so a $1-2 mill raise can keep him happy in LA. The crowd a the victory celebratuon gave him bigge cheer than Sasha so he is well like here as the fans appreciate what he did while Fish was struggling in those first two rounds.

Unless some team offers the Ariza the world, he we ill be right here hanging with Walton and Farmar the next couple of seasons.