Pistons insider or Pistons mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jun 4, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Come on joe. Clean up this big mess. Who would of thought that the Tigers would have a better chance at the World Series than the Pistons would at the Larry O'Brien Trophy in June.
  2. max

max All-Star

I don't know if McCosky wrote that on his own or now. Perhaps it was an attempt on his part to suck up. I don't really know. But if things cannot be worked out with Ben then Dumars has to nip any childish cheapshots in the bud and not let it escalate into a Ben Wallace bashing fest. Ben has done a lot for this francise and has made far more money for it than his 30 mil contract. If both sides do part then the Pistons better make sure its done with a lot of class.
  3. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I just won't believe that Flip runs more defensive sets in practice than LB. That's obviously not true.

Ben says they don't practice defense enough. Let's see....who to trust more?...Ben or McCosky? Ben or McCosky? Hmmmm.
    :rolleyes:

And if Rip and Chauncey get in "heated" discussions, why hasn't our beloved beat writer mentioned that before?

I obviously agree that this piece by McCosky is a disaster.

This guy's such a phony. He tries to act like he knows the game. For instance, I believe it was Hubie Brown who pointed out Detroit's so-called "tilt" defense against LeBron. A few days later McCosky's dropping the word "tilt" on DFN like he's been talking tilts for decades. I don't know. Can that be a coincidence? I never heard McCosky say "tilt" before.

I like the Freep writers the best. I even think good ol' Mitch has been bringing it pretty strong the past few weeks. There's really very little The News does better. I love Wojo, but I don't care about his columns. My moles are telling me that Rob Parker is an irrelevent slappy.

And then there's Mlive's Blakely. He can be really off the money sometimes, like "did we watch the same basketball game?" baffling. And it seems like he spells a lot of words wrong when he posts on mlive's forum, which is weird for a writer. Then again, it's awesome that he posts and takes questions from fans. I want Blakely to be good.

Did Krista Latham get married (suddenly Krista Jahnke is her name)?

I digress.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

KL got married. I saw it posted on another forum.

Dana Garauder does a decent job over at the Oakland Press.

I stopped reading the D-news a few months ago. I prefer the Free Press, although mlive's coverage is probably best. They seem to be much more internet oriented, and able to approach stories from more than one direction.

I worry about all of the "in crowd" news sources starting to pass off Ben leaving. I've felt for a long time that since 2003, Joe has pretty much had all of the print and radio beat guys in his back pocket. He calls the shots 9 times out of 10 on what gets printed.

Yesterday on WDFN Clarence Black (who is a hardcore hoops junkie) was selling no Ben Wallace. No criticism of Sheed, of Chauncey and little on Flip. It was all Ben has to go, and Rip should too because he can't dunk.

The same thing with Matt Dery before Game 5 on the pregame show. Ben = bad. Repeated dozens of times. To the point that I emailed him before Game 6 and asked him not to do it unless it's a superstition thing to get us a win. Too much negativity.

Then today, Eric Pate and Rob Otto on WDFN are pulling the same stuff. I actually threw Otto for a loop when I said that Chauncey Billups wasn't efficient unless he had a legit PG on the bench to push him (Arroyo). It's like these guys aren't even considering that the team's demise could be on someone other than Ben.

It worries me. This franchise which I love and have given allegiance to, is very fickle and historically notorious for being disloyal and underhanded. The only exceptions in my mind are Laimbeer and Dumars. With most everyone else, it's been silent endings and sudden divorces.
  5. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Bill Davidson's way of doing business, I guess. I don't like it either, but it can't be helped, probably, until he sells to someone else.

I never liked how Isiah was forced out of town, and if the same happens with Big Ben I will be extremely disappointed. Ben is our MVP, just as Isiah was for the Bad Boys, and I don't want to see things end prematurely or badly.
  6. roscoe36

You could write a book about that stuff. Believe me. Jack the Trader was ruthless in an "endearing to Bill D" kinda way.
  7. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

This is troubling. Isiah. LB. AD. Rick Nation. Just to name a few.

But it's weird. We want loyalty, and yet as fans we're all asking for ____'s head. Where's our loyalty?

As far as local media going all anti-Ben, it seems to me like people are getting too carried away with the perception of the New NBA. Rule changes or not, I believe the '04 Pistons would be in the Finals this year. Gritty basketball will always have its place. Detroit CAN'T pattern itself after other team's philosophies, which means you don't get rid of a player as special/meaningful/unique/passionate as Ben Wallace. I think it's crazy that people are even discussing it like it's an option.

Anyhow, you gotta wonder what will change when Bill Davidson ain't around. Indiana fans seem to think Tom Wilson is a baby eater. Who's the real bad guy. Dumars?
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Somewhere in McCoskey's articles are slivers of reality... an actual quote from management or player that is factual... unless it's in quotations it can't be trusted.
    One thing in this piece that was intriguing was that the Pistons viewed Amir Johnson as a SF.... this qualifies as another one of McCoskey's believe it or nots.
    And why are they talking more highly of a late 2nd round pick than JMax?

Don't just throw out crap like "The Pistons view such and such" without saying where you heard it.... sources buddy.
  9. max

max All-Star

If Ben goes then there goes our defense and offensive rebounding right out the window. Look for Billups to get into foul trouble often as his guy tries to blow by him everytime.

What we should do is put Ben back to his old PF position. Center has been too hard for him which he has had to play ever since we got Sheed. Help the guy out. If anything move Sheed for a decent center.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree with this... Ben may be best suited as a PF/C depending on matchups...
    I will say that if Ben plays PF other teams would still match up with him the same as they do now on defense... the other thing to consider is that there are several PF's that could draw Ben out of the paint.

Lately I'm not sure if Dice isn't a better option than Sheed... If only he was a better shot blocker... we gotta find out how much that ankle sprain effected Sheed.

Just want to be 100% sure we can't get it done with the same core for now.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah, typical McCoskeyism... Larry was always talking about the need to get better on defense... even when the team was struggling on offense...
    In LB's first year he said they hadn't even practiced offensive sets in the preseason.

What I'd like a beat writers to do is interview one of the current players after they've gone to a different team... not just the company line BS.

Q- What % of defense to offense was practiced

Q- What was the real feeling from the players on Flips Zone defense

Q- What's the story with Ben and Flip

Q- Did Flip push Sheed to get into the post more

Q- Honest opinion on Darko's abilities

Q- How did Jmax and A.J. matchup against the starters in practice

Sidney Lowe could answer some of these question now without a backlash.
  12. max

max All-Star

You can always rotate someone else out, especially with the length we have. I am wondering if Ben can last longer if he took more of a role that Rodman had in Chicago. Rodman was able to play productivly until he was almost 40. Ben was asked to do a lot this season. Seems like everyone was slacking off on defense except him. Shame that the last look we had of him was guarding a rejuvinated Shaq with almost no help at all. Then again Centers are not that easy to find.

This is a crucial crossroad for Dumars that will define his career here. Get cheap now with Ben and worsly allow a smear campaign and we could be left seeing Teal for the next decade.
  13. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

14. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with others that Mc Cosky doesn't seem to be the most objective around and that late article tried to make things seem more than just OK.
    But this article shows that it's allowed to blame Ben. To doubt him. To discuss his contract extension, not just how big his contract's gonna be but if he even gets an extension with this team.
    Last season, the blame was on everyone but Ben. There was alot of criticism at Sheed (just remember when he left Horry open) or CB. Ben was holy- like and he was it for a reason- he did what he had to do and he did it very well. This season was the first when Ben gave reasons to criticize him. He even gave lots of reasons.
    And we can be sure that this is the beginning.
    The tough thing for Joe D. could be that he tears his excellent reputation into peaces if he doesn't make the right moves. No one would have complained about the Darko trade if Ben would have played at his highest level and we had won that ship or at least reached the finals.
    But we haven't- so now there are doubters on his "win now, keep the core intact strategy". The Darko- trade could backfire. Now it's very doubtful if spending all the money on an aging Ben is intelligent. It's very doubtful to keep this core intact since it seems that there ain't not enough hunger left in them. Joe D. nearly has to gambe and get a player that justifies dropping Darko- just think if Darko finally explodes, Joe D soon would be just a mediocre GM very soon.
  15. anakin

Ben is getting no love in the local media right now. But he brought it on himself. This is what happens when internal struggles become a public issue. Does he deserve all the comments or second-guessing, NO. But given his status as a co-captain he handled the situation very poorly i.e. refusing to re-enter a game, making comments to the media on multiple occassions etc. as everything he says gets magnified. Everyone here knows Joe intervened after the first sign of trouble. A lot of people here were calling Ben actions good when he refused to re-enter i.e. teach the team a lesson. In the real world these type of actions are always disruptive and often lead to infighting. This is not bball specific, this always happens in any work-team environment. It is hard work to maintain relationships and team spirit. That is why he is the singular target of bad press and the rest of his team is escaping under the radar. He left the door open a crack and now the press is having a field day. I really feel for him because he is basically an honest hardworking guy who was trying to do good. He just went about it the wrong way. Flip clearly didn't know how to defuse the situation and get every body back on the same page. This, not the X's and O's, is his greatest weakeness as a coach. A coach has to be able to manage a team and motivate his people. This was IMO the biggest reason why the Pistons didn't look like the Pistons this playoffs. They weren't on the same page.
  16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

My favorite part of that article: "Many around here, starting with the owner, had suggested Brown got too much credit for the Pistons' success. Hmm. Now we see he probably didn't get enough. After witnessing Brown's struggles in New York, it sure appears -- as some of us loudly harped -- the team and the old coach needed each other more than most were willing to admit"
  17. roscoe36

Wojo never bought into the LB hate hype. If I recall correctly, both he and Stoney are very honest about the fickle nature of Pistons ownership and aren't afraid to talk about it.
  18. anakin

Well said. The Pistons needed LB and he needed them. Unfortunate that relationship couldn't have kept going. The Spurs have something unique going with Pops. I hate the revolving coaching door. Joe needs to research his man, hire him and back him 100%. I want a long standing relationship at HC.