Pistons invite Israeli guard from Euro powerhouse for summer league

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, May 4, 2006.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Pistons want Burstein at NBA summer league

NBA champion Detroit Pistons is planning to invite Maccabi Tel Aviv guard Tal Burstein to the summer league.

"I have known Tal for several years and I was very impressed by him at the European Championship in Serbia," Detroit's chief international scout, Tony Ronzone, said after Sunday's Euroleague Final Four championship game.

Ronzone also summoned Yaniv Green to Detroit's summer league two years ago, but said that Burstein's chances of landing a contract were much higher.

"The invitation to Green was more of a gesture of good will, but our interest in Burstein is much more serious," Ronzone said. "I really like his game. He is a versatile player and he makes the right decisions. I think he will be making the right move if he comes to show his talents in the summer league."

Ronzone believes Burstein, 26, can find his place in the NBA as a role player. "It's about time there was an Israeli in the league, and I would like to be the one to find him," Ronzone said after last summer's championship in Serbia.

Burstein has been with Maccabi for the past six years, but is reportedly the subject of interest among several European clubs, and is weighing the possibility of moving on when his contract expires at the end of the season.

*Article Link*
    By Yoav Borowitz @ Haaretz.com
    ---------------------------------------------

I saw this article in the sports section of an Israeli newspaper site that I read. Maccabi Tel Aviv is the team that Sarunas starred for, leading them to back-to-back Euroleague titles, before joining the Pacers. They made it back the final again this season before losing to CSKA Moscow.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great Work D4! I swear, we have the best internationally aware mix of fans outside maybe the Spurs.

nm, found the article. Roscoe to update the link.

So this is a marketing thing right? Appeal to the jewish community?

If you read that statement on it's own, it sounds like there should be an Israeli because there should be Israelis in the NBA, not because Burstein deserves to play in the NBA. I'm not familiar with him, but NBATV Canada is showing a lot of Euroleague playoffs, now I am inclined to check his game out.
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Not too sure how to read that statement, but I guess he's talking about a combo marketing/we-wuz-the-first niche sort of thing. Maybe to sell themselves as friendly to international players (well, certain 17-year-old Serbian 7 footers might disagree...:)).

There was an Israeli player named Oded Kattash who was planning on signing with the Knicks, but that was in the summer of '98, so when the lockout hit that fall, he stayed in Israel and never came to the NBA.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the ideas of Int'ls in the NBA so long as it isn't gratuititous. They should be good enough to play at that level, and no discrimination based on nationality should be applied.

I moved your post around a bit. I want to post it on the front page of PF.
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Another factor is that Ronzone was giving this interview to an Israeli newspaper, so he might have just been buttering them up a little bit.

One other possible line of thinking is that given the now consistent success of Maccabi TA in the Euroleague--including this season after the departure of Sarunas--they're probably good enough not to have to depend entirely on foreign stars, i.e. that they must be getting enough contribution from their homegrown players to warrant the belief that the best of those guys are capable of contributing in the NBA. Three straight Euroleague finals for the same team, from a small country that's never sent anyone to the NBA, might be an indication that the country's best native players could be good enough to contribute to an NBA team.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I wouldn't get hung up on the remark. Ronzone probably has a missionary zeal for scoring international "firsts" and bringing more of the world to the NBA.

There's another, bigger question. Here's an old NBADraft.net profile:

That sounds a lot like Carlos Delfino to me, and Carlos can't get playing time as is. Maybe this is just an innocuous "please the locals" article, but it invites speculation about Carlos' future with the team.
  7. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I don't want to turn this thread into something it's not. But Carlos is not making much money, by NBA standards, and with us going into the red this summer, Carlos will be here for a little while, at least while he's still under contract.

Heck! If the guy can dribble the ball in traffic, it invites speculation about Mo Evans' future.

But back to the subject. I don't care where anyone comes from. If they deserve to be in the NBA, then they deserve to be in the NBA. If they can play, then they can play.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

All except the 50 percent from 3-ball land.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What do the following players have in common?

John Allen
    Rodney Billups
    Andreas Glyniadakis
    Junior Harrington
    Jerry Holman
    Ricky Paulding
    Bryant Matthews
    Thomas Mobley
  10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

They each got a handsome parting gift at the end of Summer League.

Boy, Chauncey's brother really sucked.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly correct, on both comments. The point is that an invitation to join a summer league team doesn't mean anyone on the NBA team's roster spot is now in jeopardy.

The summer league team will have about a dozen guys on it, only a handful of which are from the big league team. The chances of one of these add-on guys making the Pistons 15-man roster is about as slim as Lee356 missing a half-court shot.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I've softened my stance on Ronzone...

I definately believe the quality of defensive footwork is lacking in Euroleagues (minus athletic blacks and a few exceptions like AK47)... however the prospects he's brought to our team still could succeed...

I'm confident that Darko will have a productive career... even though his reaction time will miss chances at loose balls, defensive assignments, rebounds etc.
    I may be in the low minority on Glynnie.. but I still like his game and mobilty for his size... he's got future surprise potential (opens self up for Lee type jokes)...

On Delfino... I've been tough on him... but he can do well in a system that lets him be himself... a roving... fast breaking... risk taker (Phoenix awaits your game)... he can shoot better than he's shown (see Euro championships).... with Carlos it's all PT and confidence.. he has the skills... for the record I wanted Barbosa over C.D. in the draft.

Memo?... he's good but lacks mobility on defense.

Wasn't Ronzone getting a better gig with a different club?

Anyways here's an older piece on Tony... good read just the same

Ronzone whatcha up to?
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

don't forget that 3pt land is closer in Europa (I think it's 6m30 in Europe and 7m something in the US- not sure if I'm wrong)
  14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Barbosa would have been in the same spot CD is right now. He came into the league playing out of control and out of position (He's really an undersized 2). He was very inconsistant (up and down with confidence). He would have gotten his 5 minutes per game here and been locked to the end of the bench. The Suns, however, stuck with it and plugged him into a spot where he could succeed. Instead of making him a playmaker that he wasn't, they let him be a scorer. That's how players succeed. By playing their game.

Delfino is in the exact same situation. He is a pass-first slasher/defender. Flip wants him to be a spot up shooter that plays off the ball. It just doesn't work. Also having Flip looking over his shoulder looking to pull him after the first missed shot doesn't help.

The system we have young players going through is a system that sets them up for failure. Simple as that. You gotta give these guys minutes to get some confidence in their game. Just look what happend to Carlos at the end of the season when he didn't have Flip looking over his shoulder? 2 Career games back-to-back. Right now we're making the same mistakes with our young players that others teams did with our starters.

Kinda OT: I would like to get one of those speedy PGs that are tearing up the league right now (Parker, Barbosa, etc). Would be a good change of pace off the bench.
  15. galniv

galniv Second Round Draft Pick

I have watched tal burnstein and maccabbi tel aviv for a long time
    he is not nba material
    Bill davidson is a very good friend of Israel and he has nice connections in Israel and he invites players to the summer league

Horace Jenkins is a big star in Israel

Maccabbi tel aviv is a great team because of their foreign players - many of whom become Israeli citizens

Like sarunus on Indiana - Burnstein can shoot but cannot play NBA type defense

I predict that Sarunus will be back in Israel next year - BTW he is marrying an Israeli beauty queen who was also Miss World