Pistons @ L.A. Clippers - Dec 11th, 2005

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by mercury, Oct 2, 2005.

1. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Highlight of the night so far: Delfino got a haircut! FINALLY! I always felt weird rooting for a guy with hair like that.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We're in chat with a few folks.

Members welcome. Link is next to the log out button or follow the image at the top of the forums...
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

Still going up up up. 15-2. And the right way. On the front end of a back to back, Flip used his bench. Man he used it. Great job of Flip trusting his bench players. Now we not only have another win, we are well set up to win again tomorro at Utah.

I believe Detroit tied a record tonight, getting just 3 turnovers. Amazing. And we scored well over a hundred points. A whole lot of scoring. A whole lot of passes. And just three turns. Got to salute CB and Arroyo on that.

Evans had a great game, specificall the first half. He had two offensive rebound putbacks, a nice score inside against seemingly all their bigs at once, an outside shot made, a dive to the floor to get us a loose ball, other rebounds. All in one half. Great game.

Delfino played too. In both halves even. Other than Dyess coming in for Sheed early due to foul trouble, Delfino was the first bench player in for the 2nd half. Quite a change. Delfino had done some pretty good stuff in that first half and clearly earned some more time. Delfino rebounded well, nailed his defensive rotations perfectly, hit a couple of outside shots, got an and 1 with a scoop. Basically, added well to the ball handling chores. Tay got good long rests both halves due to the very capable play by Delfino. (But with Magette not playing, I won't get too excited about this game. I would have liked to see Delfino guard Magette.)

Dale Davis came in for foul trouble and simply played good solid D. Nothing else, just good solid D, something we all know he can do quite well.

More on Arroyo. Cassell is a pretty darn good scorer and made Arroyo look bad on several occasions. But Arroyo in the end managed to do well enough on Cassell by making Cassel get the ball well away from the basket. Not a bad job altogether, and you know what? It actually was helping us having the Clips go against Arroyo rather than go to their bigs for scoring.

Rip just was Rip. Hitting those shots. And CB hit shots. Tay finally hit one outside shot in this game. He has not been connecting of late. Still staying quite aggressive going inside though. Sheed did some scoring. It all helps. That bench scoring was sure a welcome sight though.

Dyess is still not hitting any outside shots. The slump continues.

They tried something stupid, Hack-a-Ben. Never works. Not unless one time or two done strategically. This was nuts. They completely gave up trying to get into the game the old fashioned way. You know, good offensive execution and really working on D. Instead, they sent Ben to the line over and over. And over. Ugly basketball. Ben did not connect on many. But between the ones we made, and the points we got off offensive rebounds from it, it was an effective 40 something percent. Pretty much giving us automatic offense. And then they still could not score at their end. Worse, after it had all failed miserably, their coach still kept going to it.

Other than that nastiness, a good entertaining game against a worthy opponent. Another week at 1 in the polls. All for now. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  4. roscoe36

Great game. Kaman and Brand are excellent.

It's hard not to get excited about this Pistons team. Barring a serious injury, 60 wins seems pretty attainable.

Great games by Sheed, Tay, Rip you name it.

A little D Square for good measure.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I sure hope you're right because I'll be at the game cheering for them.

Good recap, Lee! :nod:

GO PISTONS!
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Quality win on the books.... Piston's offense tonight = La machine
    Flip made the comment that after Utah our road schedule is already 33% complete in early December.

It's time to give Flip his due... this is a well coached team.

Gr8 to see the bench contributions... Mo, Dos Los... even DD.

Best backcourt in the Association.

I suggested a Brand for Ben trade a couple years back... hmmm

Luved Sheed giving Dunleavy sh## after the hack-a-Ben... Sidney Lowe givin' Sheed luv for the words.

All you folks representin' the D in La La... we saw/heard ya loud and clear behind the bench... nice work!

Next stop a rested Jazz team... Memo will be motivated.
  7. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

We've turned into last year's Spurs. We can win at any pace, playing any style.

I think with wins at Phoenix, GS, and the Clips, we can put to bed the "we haven't beaten anyone yet" talk.

And yes, it would be hard to find a backcourt playing as well as this one is.

I'm impressed. Now let's not have a letup tomorrow at Utah.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Would this be your way of admiting that Evans has a little more than "no usefulness of the court"?
  9. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Btw

Nice to see Delfino make the most of his minutes. He may become a regular in the rotation yet.
  10. max

max All-Star

Game

Was a great game. Even out-rebounded them on the offensive end. Not in total rebs because of all the free-throw attempts by Ben.

I never saw the hack-a strategy fail so badly. Clipps were down by 8 and seemed to be gaining some momentum. Pistons would have won anyway but that decision to foul Ben on every play doomed the Clipps and they even lost Cassell in the process. Pistons almost doubled their lead by the time it was over.

Bench stepped up. Flip tried some different combo's using both Delfino and Evans for extended stretches along with Davis. Davis is a good defender and will bang in the post which we need.

No real complaints. Sheed has been playing great along with all the starters. I have to credit Sheed for getting this game on track by establishing a nice post presence and playing tough on the glass.

During Hack-a-Ben. Ben gets his own board back and passes it out to Billups for a 3. That should be the play of the season so far.
  11. roscoe36

I agree Max. I'm tired of ANY anti-Sheed rhetoric. He's been playing at a high level for the last several games. He's been everything we could ask for from an elite PF who handles his business on both ends of the court.
  12. max

max All-Star

Sheed

Yes he has been on a tear the last 3 or 4 games. I credit him as the biggest part of winning the past 2 games.
  13. max

max All-Star

Sheed

actually looking at the box Sheed only had 10 points and 7 boards. Does not seem like much. He mainly got the team off to a great start plus he contributed defensivly. Very good defensive game for Sheed.

Plus he sat for most of the 3rd and the scoring opps were not there during the 2nd half of the 4th with Ben getting fouled.
  14. roscoe36

That's always been my point about Sheed. You can't judge the game he plays by the box score. He's the straw that stirs the drink.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wow i agree with lee's post, even the part about cassell goin after arroyo - and even though arroyo had some difficulty defending him, he made cassell play the whole length of the floor and expend quite a bit of energy.

hopefully delfino will finally get some minutes - it helped that tay looked like he was trying too hard tonight to impress his compton buddies. what i really wish, is that during hack-a-ben, we went to the delfino free throw play and have him slam a rebound home off a missed free throw. but the offensive rebound kick-out to chauncey for a 3 was good enough in its place. :)

best of all, none of the starters logged heavy minutes, we're 10-1 on the road, and pimpin a 15-2 record. there's really nothing to complain about tonight :D
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This team is amazing!

I'm wondering if Ron Harper has helped give them a killer attitude in these regular season games. I remember reading a quote by him when they signed him up that basically said that he thought the Pistons needed to play more like the MJ Bulls teams and never let up.

It may be that Flip is making it fun and Ron Harper is pushing them at the same time.

As far as the game analysis, it is hard to not take the starting 5's accomplishments each night for granted. They are just flat out killing. It is nice to only have 2 losses when everyone is filling out their all-star ballots.

So we talk about the bench. Evans has figured out what it takes to get minutes- hustle, rebounding, defense, and high percentage shots. Delfino looked very comfortable. Arroyo is blending his game and his teammates nicely. He's taking the perfect amount of shots and in the right situations.

It will still be interesting to see if Darko, JMax, or Acker get some opportunities as the year progresses. If we are going to go at the 72-10 pace, then I don't really care. If we slow down, I'd like to see what they have.
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Have fun, My Lord

Dont 4get 2 wear your colors , my bruddah and dont slack up! We're their in spirit!
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oh and kaman could be called for an offensive foul on just about every drive to the basket, he just lowers his shoulder and plows through. brand does it a little bit too but not as often. and it was sweet during the hack-a-ben watching the time left go down and the pistons lead go up slowly but surely
  19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Just back from Staples and Deeetroit Basketball!

Got in a little Deetroit Basketball with other Piston fans at the game. This game marked the unveiling of Delfino. We have all been calling for it and we got it. The guy can play. Can we get more good games from Evans and Arroyo? They did run at Arroyo on defense with some success which had me worried a bit. Joe has done it again with Davis. He really looked tough out there. The starters actually looked bored. What about Darko? I just saw the 2006 NBA champs tonight at Staples.
  20. roscoe36

@TaShawn - I was thinking the same thing about Harper. If it comes true and the Stones win home court, challenge for the title, he may be the unsung motivational piece.

@Warthog - all good offensive paint players initiate the contact. Anyone who shoots away from contact is considered a finesse player (Ming, Sheed, KG) while the ones who bull their way in (Shaq, Kaman, Curry) are considered bonafide power bigs.

We just haven't seen a player with a legit paint game in the "D" for a long, long time...