Pistons/Magic 2nd Round Game 3 Wed May 7 8PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 6, 2008.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I wasn't counting but I have one play in mind where Rip shot and missed a contested jumper...while 5 feet behind him Stuckey was wide open calling for the ball. It happens too much.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I didn't see it mentioned, skimming through the last couple pages, but what about Flip's decision to only have 2 PGs active?

Boy was that dumb. You get Amir, who can only play the 4, as the 6th big, when you only have 2PGs?

Foolish.

I was so mad about that, I was going to call the postgame radio show, then decided against getting even more worked up.

If Billups is ok, we win that game last night. Let's hope CB can come back healthy real fast. What's the recovery time on a mild or badly strained hamstring?
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Well, arguably, it kept the Lakers from being able to be competitive in their title defense back in '89...:stirthepot: ...so we could be screwed.
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Hamstring injuries can take forever to heal.
  5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I was thinking the same thing except about Arvis. He is just Brutal.
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Seriously though....with Billups you cant tell. He doesn't handle lower body injuries very well.

To name a few, he had that ankle injury against Philly in 2003 that carried over into the New Jersey series and led to one heck of a systematic embarrassment that included Joe and Co. strutting with pride regardless of the on court pasting because.... we were gonna draft Darko...:cold:

Last year there was the calf strain that was originally projected at a week and ended up lasting for 20 days...

After that he had a thigh/groin injury that lingered on from mid-march all the way in to the playoffs.

So no...I can't say I expect him to be right for the remainder of the year based on his history.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic folks.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Absolutely right, Max, and I was expressing mine.
  8. Delfino Delivers

I just have one thing to say:

Flip, does it really look like a good match up when Sheed or Dice is guarding Shard at the three point line?

That is a match up a good coach would consistently pick and roll until he got the switch; and you are matching up that way???? That is like Tay on a small guard; can you say MISMATCH????

Play Amir and AA on Shard and Turkeyglue in relief!!!!!

Sometimes the coaching on this team is just horrific. And why the he!! aren't Porter and Cowens jumping up and down to get Flip to make the change?????
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Because it's Terry Porter and Dave Cowens.

Those guys are just as mediocre as Flip. Why should we expect greatness out of them?
  10. Delfino Delivers

Guess I was just thinking that at some point and time that with 3 sets of eyes watching that display; one of them would realize that it is a BAD IDEA and suggest a change?
  11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Need somebody to take a questionable 3 and nearly make it?

We've got your man.

Etroit Pistons Arvis Hayes.

Sit Mr Big for game 4 in a hyperbaric chamber, Go home 2-2, best of 3 with 2 @ home.

Now to fully utilize our maybe 20% chance of winning game 4.

Go smaller for game 4 and run your asses off, you aren't going to coldly out execute a team down the stretch without C$. Sheed can handle Howard. Just don't foul him early, sit Sheed at the end of the first and let him do his thing with 1 or 0 fouls the whole 2nd 5/8ths of the game.

5-Sheed/Dyess/Theo (6 mins max)
    4 - Tay/Max/Fabio/Amir
    3 - Rip/Tay/Afflalo
    2 - Rip/Afflalo/Stuckey
    1 - Stuckey/Hunter

Run, Run, Run. Stuckey/Afflalo/Tay/Rip/Amir GO GO GO. Rip can handle Lewis/Turkey for stretches, and as a bonus will run them ragged on D.

Post up Tay or Sheed EVERY TIME in a half court set, send Stuckey through as a cutter, and a shooter replace him, you really have no other options.

Every time you heard an announcer last night say "Flip feels he can play Prince this many minutes because he (sat so much at the end of the season)...

Did you want to

a) vomit in your mouth

b) kick Flip

c) finish the sentence with, Because he wants him to be completely spent in the finals and conference finals just like 05', 06', 07'
  12. Delfino Delivers

Can't think of any reason he should be in uniform the rest of this post season.
  13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

especially as Dixon seems to shoot just as streaky well, and can bring the ball up and isn't going to be blown by or posted up by any of Orlando's pedestrian G's.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That match up is OK with me as long as Shard has to guard Sheed in the post on our side of the court. Unfortunately, I never saw that part of it.
  15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

True that. Don't understand why Sheed is in foul trouble since Game 2 and Lewis is not when Sheed is 'matchup' on him on offense. Draw fouls on him like how they draw fouls on you, Sheed!

CB should not play game 4. Let him heal if we wanna go deep into the playoffs. Not the time to panic yet. We can still win Game 4 with Stuck as our starting PG. Have Tay run the point if necessary. Dress Dixon or Hunter since CB is out. Dress and play Amir for heaven's sake. Let Amir take on Lewis or Turk when he's in there. Just try him for at least 5 minutes. Hayes should be in street clothes.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Amir can't play the 3. He has no range (yes, I know about the 18 point game against Milwaukee a couple seasons ago), and he's way underdeveloped as a perimeter defender.

Hayes should be the 3rd SF, exactly as he is. Unfortunately, Flip still finds a way to play him. Jarvis has brought NOTHING.

As far as CB, I don't think it is a matter of resting him. He might be done for the playoffs. Playing him in Game 4 may not be a decision that the Pistons even have to make.
  17. Delfino Delivers

So let Amir play the 4. Orlando plays two guys that are really 3's anyways. I think AJ's length will help him against Shard or Turkeyglue. Give him a shot. If it looks worse then Sheed flailing his arms trying not to trip over himself on a jab step while Shard drains another three; change it back. :)

The problem with Sheed matching up with Shard is we trade 2 for 3 and lose a point every time down. Then Sheed starts jacking threes to match him and it's game over. With Howard in the post; we have shyed away from going down there instead of forcing the issue and trying to draw fouls on him.
  18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

sometimes you guys kill me with being over-dramatic. let me get this out of the way - we had won 5 straight games, this is the postseason, teams are harder to play at home, orlando was bound to get all the calls after that clock scandal, we were without our all-star PG for nearly the entire game, we were due for a flat game, and we suck on wednesdays. seriously, i think some of you wouldn't be happy unless we went 16-0 in the playoffs. at least we took care of home and we're still up 2-1...if we can snag game 4 this series is over on tuesday at the palace.

let's face it, sheed sucked today. i'm sure flip didn't tell him to settle for poorly-angled turnaround bank shots near the 3-point line. and hey, i love max, but he sucked too. now do i wonder why he didn't really play much in the 2nd half? yeah, definitely...he could've at least checked rashard to start the 4th, but hindsight...yeah. and it was completely predictable that rip would have 6 turnovers...his shot was on when he wasn't trying to create for himself, which is why it sucks that he rarely realizes this.

stuck continues to be terrible at finishing layups, but he played an excellent game last night. he shot well and drew a lot of fouls while going 9-9 from the line. as soon as he learns to finish in the lane in traffic he is going to be lethal. and hey, like i said before put amir in to guard turk/lewis, but hermann didn't do that poorly. we wouldn't have won the game if amir played, and i can only imagine if he got switched onto howard how badly that would've gone.

i'll give orlando credit - they attacked early knowing they'd get the whistle. they made a lot of contested shots in the 4th quarter (and they were pretty well contested...c'mon that mo evans turn around J at the end of the shot clock? luck). they continuously ran that high pick-and-roll where howard illegally screens at the 3-point line and then shifts down low while taking out both of our defenders and it's never called, but hey if they don't call it keep doing it.

i give our guys credit for fighting back and pulling within 3, but too little too late. you can't get in a hole like that on the road and be down 10-12 all game and expect to win. let's look at the positives - stuckey got a LOT of playoff experience in a game that was a total throwaway. you saw his confidence grow as he started to post up nelson, and as he adjusted for howard's shot-blocking and shot over him. we were pretty much destined to lose once chauncey went out, so at least we got something out of it.

and yeah, maybe flip didn't do the best coaching job (how about an early timeout??), but i thought he was excellent in games 1 and 2 and has generally done a good job adjusting game-by-game in the playoffs so i'm not going to come down on him. he's already knocked jarvis out of the rotation and put afflalo back in, he's starting maxiell over dice, and he's trusting stuckey to get it done. to me that's pretty good so far.
  19. max

max All-Star

I thought all VanGundy's lobbying would work against them but I guess the refs are about as dumb as they look.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

GOOD JOB, hOGG
    usually a day off and a stiff drink calms everybody down....

We lost:

1. Billups didnt play in a key road game
    2. We cant 'depend' on Sheed to MAN UP( I love to see him gone, but he's so dam good when he's good)
    3. Flip should have called timeout after the M's first 5 pt run in the start of the 4th
    4. We were not going to sweep.